Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The match food thread for today

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Next Saturday we play Newcastle. Kick off is at 5:30 pm. Can someone inform Sodexo on Monday morning that this event is taking place so that they don't run out of food.
I guess they plan it another way. Rather than think, 31500 supporters will need x number of pies, pints, hot drinks and crisps (and after 10 seasons they should know x quantity) they base it on 50% of required staff can only serve 50% of x therefor only get in 50% of the food. Upper concourses now close at full time so why waste having food left over. Staffing issues I understand, heck, anyone employing low wage staff understands. But give the staff you have something to sell.
Week one I had the very last pie at 2:35 with 100's still waiting.
Hammers I got a pie but no Bovril or Cheese & Onion crisps, the latter two would keep for a month anyway so an obvious item to over stock.
It may seem a very minor thing but if you have only one job, to feed 31500 supporters, then get it right.
Have a cuppa of tea instead? Maybe some plain crisps? When the supermarket doesn’t have something in stock I make like for like choices. It works well.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Have a cuppa of tea instead? Maybe some plain crisps? When the supermarket doesn’t have something in stock I make like for like choices. It works well.
I hate tea! Had a Hot Chocolate instead which is why we lost. And plain crisps because I hate Salt 'n' Vinegar.
It's the fact that a company should know they will sell these items and as such should have them in stock.
I'm a seafront trader and I've got in stock last week Buckets & Spades, Water, Candy Floss, Sunglasses and Balls. Why, because it's a Bank Holiday and I expect to sell all these items. I knew last week, within a small margin, how many of each item I will sell and have them ready. If I under order I learn from it for next time but after 20 years I've learnt exactly what I will sell. So, after 10 seasons Sudexo should know by now how many pies they will sell.
And if I sell out of water on Sunday then I lose because customers want it now not next week.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I was a two pie man yesterday, had no lunch and greedily devoured two pies, a chicken, gammon and leek, and then a Bombay potato in quick succession. Very tasty, very tasty indeed.

I was served by a very mature lady, in her sixties at the very least, and three or four times the age of the usual incumbent one would see behind the counter. Very helpful and polite she was too. Employ more grannies l say.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Have I stumbled into the Bake Off chat room by mistake?

Mar 4, 2023
Decided to try the new “loaded sweet potato falafel with wild rice and curry sauce”. wasn’t quite sure what made the falafel “loaded”, and it looked pretty sad and dry, but surprisingly filling and tasty nonetheless
1D1B7235-B411-4E35-9B1C-ABEE08CACFBC.jpeg

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I hate tea! Had a Hot Chocolate instead which is why we lost. And plain crisps because I hate Salt 'n' Vinegar.
It's the fact that a company should know they will sell these items and as such should have them in stock.
I'm a seafront trader and I've got in stock last week Buckets & Spades, Water, Candy Floss, Sunglasses and Balls. Why, because it's a Bank Holiday and I expect to sell all these items. I knew last week, within a small margin, how many of each item I will sell and have them ready. If I under order I learn from it for next time but after 20 years I've learnt exactly what I will sell. So, after 10 seasons Sudexo should know by now how many pies they will sell.
And if I sell out of water on Sunday then I lose because customers want it now not next week.
Give us a week's notice next bank holiday and we'll get NSC to start a run on pineapple flavoured rocks, just to bugger up your ordering :wink:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Decided to try the new “loaded sweet potato falafel with wild rice and curry sauce”. wasn’t quite sure what made the falafel “loaded”, and it looked pretty sad and dry, but surprisingly filling and tasty nonetheless View attachment 165566
I'm not surprised the rice was wild being stuck in a bowl like that, l wouldn't have been very happy either!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
There was loads of food in NS after the game at closing time..... I saw someone with a bin liner with about 20 pies...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Really? someone on here was moaning that the North Stand kiosks were out of pie's before the game had even kicked off!
Entirely possible.

It's very often not a case of them not ordering enough / not having enough pies / underestimating the demand / not knowing a crowd was coming, but more the time taken to get the pies heated up ready to serve.

There'll be limited oven/heating space so demand can exceed the ability to restock, which is why pies may "sell out" pre-match but, come half-time, there's a large supply again. The same for post-match.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Entirely possible.

It's very often not a case of them not ordering enough / not having enough pies / underestimating the demand / not knowing a crowd was coming, but more the time taken to get the pies heated up ready to serve.

There'll be limited oven/heating space so demand can exceed the ability to restock, which is why pies may "sell out" pre-match but, come half-time, there's a large supply again. The same for post-match.
But #Bozza
I say again, I know, you know and they should know that 31500 people will be at the Amex next Saturday. Limited oven/heating space is not an excuse. Get more ovens. After 10 years they should know within a few 100 how many of each item will sell and where they will sell.
For instance, till readouts for the southern kiosk East Upper over the past season may say Chicken pies sold average 1000 per game with a high of 1200 and a low of 800. At 90 mins before KO you have 500 pies ready and add another 500 for 60 mins before KO. Another 200 will be on standby to be sent to any kiosk running low.
You'll say ovens cost money, but an oven heating 1000 pies that will sell out must be showing a profit at some time in it's life.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Pre match uncle Sam’s chillie burger
Very nice
4 Greggs sausage rolls one each for HT £3:50 freshly baked as well .

Can’t remember the last time we ate at a stadium home or away it’s all vastly overpriced rubbish..

Fish and chips outside £13.50
Normal Chippy £9.50 for large

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Next Saturday we play Newcastle. Kick off is at 5:30 pm. Can someone inform Sodexo on Monday morning that this event is taking place so that they don't run out of food.
I guess they plan it another way. Rather than think, 31500 supporters will need x number of pies, pints, hot drinks and crisps (and after 10 seasons they should know x quantity) they base it on 50% of required staff can only serve 50% of x therefor only get in 50% of the food. Upper concourses now close at full time so why waste having food left over. Staffing issues I understand, heck, anyone employing low wage staff understands. But give the staff you have something to sell.
Week one I had the very last pie at 2:35 with 100's still waiting.
Hammers I got a pie but no Bovril or Cheese & Onion crisps, the latter two would keep for a month anyway so an obvious item to over stock.
It may seem a very minor thing but if you have only one job, to feed 31500 supporters, then get it right.
You way off the mark as no where near 31000 people will want food from the kiosks.
If you want to queue for 30 mins for food or drink that’s your choice of course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here