[Football] The match food thread for today

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I hate tea! Had a Hot Chocolate instead which is why we lost. And plain crisps because I hate Salt 'n' Vinegar.
It's the fact that a company should know they will sell these items and as such should have them in stock.
I'm a seafront trader and I've got in stock last week Buckets & Spades, Water, Candy Floss, Sunglasses and Balls. Why, because it's a Bank Holiday and I expect to sell all these items. I knew last week, within a small margin, how many of each item I will sell and have them ready. If I under order I learn from it for next time but after 20 years I've learnt exactly what I will sell. So, after 10 seasons Sudexo should know by now how many pies they will sell.
And if I sell out of water on Sunday then I lose because customers want it now not next week.
Ha ha, yes, in that case you have a point. But difference, and this will help understanding, between your smaller business and theirs is you really care! Corporates do to an extent, but more from a share price perspective!

Get used to plain I say!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Pre match uncle Sam’s chillie burger
Very nice
4 Greggs sausage rolls one each for HT £3:50 freshly baked as well .

Can’t remember the last time we ate at a stadium home or away it’s all vastly overpriced rubbish..

Fish and chips outside £13.50
Normal Chippy £9.50 for large
I think that's quite unfair - much of it isn't rubbish at all. If there was no thought given to quality we'd be served Pukka Pies.

But, yes, the pricing is at typical captive audience levels, see also: service stations, airports, gig venues etc.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I think that's quite unfair - much of it isn't rubbish at all. If there was no thought given to quality we'd be served Pukka Pies.

But, yes, the pricing is at typical captive audience levels, see also: service stations, airports, gig venues etc.
We don’t like the pies so that’s our opinion although we have not had one for a long time…
Hot dogs ….. bought the grandson one at the Pre season friendly a bread roll with a sausage no ketchup no dressings and I think it was £5:80 !!!
So some people might worship the Amex catering but to us it’s not as good as some say,
Travelling a distance allows us to eat before any game home or away,
And that’s what we do as no stadium food is brilliant and worth the money.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Hot dogs ….. bought the grandson one at the Pre season friendly a bread roll with a sausage no ketchup no dressings and I think it was £5:80 !!!
There are numerous stations with ketchup and mustard dotted around the concourses, should be easy enough to see.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We don’t like the pies so that’s our opinion although we have not had one for a long time…
So some people might worship the Amex catering but to us it’s not as good as some say,
Travelling a distance allows us to eat before any game home or away,
And that’s what we do as no stadium food is brilliant and worth the money.
Right. But "I don't like it" doesn't mean something is necessarily "rubbish" does it?

There are many things I don't like, but I recognise that is personal taste and not reflective of quality.

I'm not arguing the toss on the price though - as I say, it's typical captive market pricing and it's clearly going to be better value buying something and bringing it with you.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The service in 1901 was abysmal, and slow, even saw one of the bar staff put a dodgy pint down and it fell over and soaked the bar manager ( whio. Wasn't doing anything while 25 or so people were waiting.

took an age to pour a pint of neck oil as it kept over flowing, and the pie was indescribable, I really could identify what was in it. It didn't taste bad, and I was bloody hungry as had skipped lunch, but I honestly have no idea what was in it!

3/10 from me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not as the grandson went on his own to get it. ( armed with my card)
Didn’t the grandson spot the yellow and red things marked mustard and ketchup?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Best thing about 5.30 kick off is you can have a decent lunch somewhere good before hand, go over watch the game - then get something on the way home / at home 👍

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Nothing wrong with Pukka Pies boss, I was happy to see them on sale at Rotherham away 30 years back :smile:
Exactly. Food snobbery is everywhere, but everything has a price point. Value is different and extremely subjective! If they sold PP, perfectly good, for eg £3.50 that would be very good value IMO and perfectly acceptable.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Exactly. Food snobbery is everywhere, but everything has a price point. Value is different and extremely subjective! If they sold PP, perfectly good, for eg £3.50 that would be very good value IMO and perfectly acceptable.
That really wasn't the point.

I was responding to the claim that all food at the Amex is rubbish. I really don't think it is, and using a small, local independent pie maker is illustrative of that.

I may be many things, but I'm not a food snob.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I accept there will be queues. I accept that items will sell out. I accept that I will always find myself in the line behind the group of lads ordering an eight pint round, not one of which will be of the brand which is already sitting on the counter, pre-poured.

But in the inimitable words of Mel B, I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want.

It's for Sodexho to teach their staff that the little tag attached to tea bags via a small piece of string is designed as an aide to the tea drinker, and is meant to be left outside the cup, so that the drinker can lift it out of the cup once brewed without risk of sustaining third degree burns. Am I really expecting too much for one, just ONE member of staff to realise they're supposed to pull the tag off the tea bag before chucking boiling water inside the cup, thus ensuring I won't have to play scald roulette while trying vainly to remove the bag using a thin wooden stirrer?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The service in 1901 was abysmal, and slow, even saw one of the bar staff put a dodgy pint down and it fell over and soaked the bar manager ( whio. Wasn't doing anything while 25 or so people were waiting.

took an age to pour a pint of neck oil as it kept over flowing, and the pie was indescribable, I really could identify what was in it. It didn't taste bad, and I was bloody hungry as had skipped lunch, but I honestly have no idea what was in it!

3/10 from me.
Letting people with 4 strings into 1901 is always going to end badly :rolleyes:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
That really wasn't the point.

I was responding to the claim that all food at the Amex is rubbish. I really don't think it is, and using a small, local independent pie maker is illustrative of that.

I may be many things, but I'm not a food snob.
I didn’t say you were. General point about food price versus value. Everyone’s got their sense of, sometimes I think we all forget clubs aren’t there to feed us but make money from. Entirely our choose to pay £10 for a cheeseburger etc.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I accept there will be queues. I accept that items will sell out. I accept that I will always find myself in the line behind the group of lads ordering an eight pint round, not one of which will be of the brand which is already sitting on the counter, pre-poured.

But in the inimitable words of Mel B, I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want.

It's for Sodexho to teach their staff that the little tag attached to tea bags via a small piece of string is designed as an aide to the tea drinker, and is meant to be left outside the cup, so that the drinker can lift it out of the cup once brewed without risk of sustaining third degree burns. Am I really expecting too much for one, just ONE member of staff to realise they're supposed to pull the tag off the tea bag before chucking boiling water inside the cup, thus ensuring I won't have to play scald roulette while trying vainly to remove the bag using a thin wooden stirrer?
Tea at football ? Bloody newbies, never had a problem where to put the string with a Bovril,

It's people like you that have caused the whole woke, snowflake, organic, vegan Felafel and wild rice thing. Tea at football is the beginning of a slippery slope :rant:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
A steak pie from the NS, the best ever. Not soggy at all, so zero mess onto clothing!

One complaint based on greed …. I wish it was 50% bigger :).

NS kiosk staff were still astonishingly slow. Spending 10 minutes with the extended family in front of us.
It’s not all down to the staff……..if that extended family was like the one in front of me, they arrive at the front of the queue and only then does Mrs FW ask the kids what they want……’what have they got?’…..’well, there’s hot dogs, burgers, pies and sausage rolls’……..’have they got any sandwiches ?’……’no I don’t think so, how about a hot dog ?……..’ohhhhh, can i just have some chips then?’…..’no they haven’t got chips, but you can have crisps’……’what flavours have they got ?’…….etc, etc, etc, etc……..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports