Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Lords prayer

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The cinema operators have a no religious or political advertising policy which is probably sensible considering the times we live in.

Exactly,i cant imagine anyone would be offended by such an advert apart from the usual dingbats but we live in a culture of offence and blame.
Imagine if some weird types like the Westboro Baptist wanted to take out an advert and were banned where others were allowed......cue a major law suit of discrimination.......this is a sensible policy from the advertisers,no religious adverts across the board.They are simply protecting themselves from idiots.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
As an atheist myself, I have absolutely no complaints about anyone practising their religion
Sorry to be pedantic, but that makes you an agonstic then. An atheist lacks faith in God, believes there is no god, or lacks awareness of gods. An agnostic either believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a god or is non-committal on the issue. I believe, you, like me fall into the latter camp!
Some good points made here though with regards opening the floodgates - if the CofE can show their "commercial" then so can any other religion, crackpot or otherwise, or fear the call of discrimination!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
But it's not ,is it. Every national event from Royal Jubilees, to Remembrance Day, the religious lot get involved hundreds of religious schools of all faith paid for with taxes across the country, morning prayers at the start of every session in Parliament, Bishops all have a seat in the H of Lords

More good reasons for revolution.

Sorry to be pedantic, but that makes you an agonstic then. An atheist lacks faith in God, believes there is no god, or lacks awareness of gods. An agnostic either believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a god or is non-committal on the issue. I believe, you, like me fall into the latter camp!
Some good points made here though with regards opening the floodgates - if the CofE can show their "commercial" then so can any other religion, crackpot or otherwise, or fear the call of discrimination!

Why does letting other people do as they wish make you agnostic?!

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
But it's not ,is it. Every national event from Royal Jubilees, to Remembrance Day, the religious lot get involved hundreds of religious schools of all faith paid for with taxes across the country, morning prayers at the start of every session in Parliament, Bishops all have a seat in the H of Lords

Exactly, it turns out that even the most secular country in Europe wasn't that secular after recent terrorist attacks with its service from Notre Dame.

#prayforparis

You can't be a little bit pregnant can you............

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
The cinema operators have a no religious or political advertising policy which is probably sensible considering the times we live in.

I see, less freedom and more censorship, part of the quid pro quo of multiculturalism.

How enriching............I particularly like the cities shut down and armed troops on the street bit...............probably sensible considering the times we live in.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

I am an atheist, I believe there is no God or Gods, but, I don't care if others believe in their own religions as I'm secure in my own non-belief

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Personally I am glad this nonsense has been banned. I grew up as a Catholic, dreadful religion based on guilt. It turned me in to a non believer and I don't want to hear this at a cinema or anywhere similar.

If the athiests of the world produced something which preached the opposite then the creators of this commercial would be in contradictory uproar.

Religion has proved itself time and again to be the cause of distress to a lot of people.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It just another example of our changing religious and cultural profile, of course we know which religion is the likely one that might feel aggrieved and which religion might see it as a cause to attack.

Generally 'our' religions has by demand become a benign and passive version of what they once were, I am happy to accept them as part of our historical culture a background hum rather than an dominant voice.

I suspect the cinemas owners have in part made the decision though fear which in my view would be a wrong decision, but perhaps it is a pre emptive strike to ensure other religions cannot demand parity with their own versions of religious adverts, as a business decision currently I cannot see a Muslim 'call to prayer' advert being easily digested right now.

So rather than being accused of discrimination they have washed their hands of any obvious religion aspect and I am not sure who can blame them.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Christmas is a capitalist holiday, not a Christian one anymore.

Not even a holiday anymore, for increasing numbers of shop and other service-sector employees who have to have to work to serve the morons that can't go two days without shopping!

But yes, Christmas is now an orgy of rampant consumerism for the masses who are programmed never to be happy with what they have, and also a major means by which firms can boost end-of-year sales and profits.

Bah, humbug!

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
To me it sounds revolting. Good call.
Christmas is just a holiday now, unless you're 'Christian' who are just about hanging on to a majority in the country (but a less bent census question in 2021 should change all that). As for actual Christians who celebrate the story of Jesus, there can't be more than 10% in the UK, surely.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
To be fair as a staunch athiest, I find The Lord's Prayer less offensive than 100% of 'buy more crap' adverts.

Well English Christian religions are both inoffensive and generally demand little from those of us that do not believe in religion at all, so although we must often 'offend' we have for a generation ridiculed and challenged their faith so that they no longer expect sanction or favour, we must treat Islam with the same disdain.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I go to the cinema quite a lot. At college I would go pretty much every week. I distinctly remember the odeon showing adverts with various celebrities discussing whether we should join the euro or not. (I can't remember whether they said yes or no, but they were all on one side of the discussion).

The first I heard about this, was seeing an article about Richard Dawkins supporting the church as having the right to have the advert shown.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Not even a holiday anymore, for increasing numbers of shop and other service-sector employees who have to have to work to serve the morons that can't go two days without shopping!

But yes, Christmas is now an orgy of rampant consumerism for the masses who are programmed never to be happy with what they have, and also a major means by which firms can boost end-of-year sales and profits.

Bah, humbug!

wish i could give ya 5 fumzup for that ......nail on head.....!!! fathersday , mothersday , easter , halloween , christmas.......all they need is one more excuse and we'll all be permanently skint ffs...!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here