Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The loan window opens on...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Yes, I am very confused as to whether Elvis is primarily a winger, or mainly a striker.

Basically, there is a case for getting on loan a player to play Elvis' 'secondary' position, whether that's a striker, or a winger.

Feyenoord listed him as a striker but played him on the wing much as we did with Baldock last season :thumbsup:
The difference seems to be that Elvis was better at it!

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Suspect we'd see more going out on loan (Holla, Colunga [if anyone would take him], Walton etc.)

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
He is the Spurs 25 man squad and they will not let him go out. Discounted as I have all squad members of PL teams, and even ageing 31 yo Spurs strikers on high pay packets.

He's in the 25 because he's 'home grown', not because he's going to play for them between now and January. I think they'd be very keen to see him get regular football for 3 months - brought him on massively last season at Brentford.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I may have missunderstood Bensgrandad's appraisal of our wing options.

But would add, there is a difference between 'can play on the wing' and 'is a winger'. Rosenior 'can play on the wing'. There appears to be a bit of consusion as to whether Elvis 'is a winger who can play up front' or 'is a striker who can play on the wing'.

Elvis does both, i.e. it was suggested that he could play across the front-line and, I might like to point out, HE IS IN THE BUILDING.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I may have missunderstood Bensgrandad's appraisal of our wing options.

But would add, there is a difference between 'can play on the wing' and 'is a winger'. Rosenior 'can play on the wing'. There appears to be a bit of consusion as to whether Elvis 'is a winger who can play up front' or 'is a striker who can play on the wing'.

I think that CH view is that he is competent anywhere across the front line more so than putting a a square peg in a round hole as per the situation with Baldock .and to a lesser extent CMS when he was here.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
If we do dip our toes into this, it needs to be quality over quantity.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm actually just expecting 2 - 3 93-day OUTS initially.

I think we'll only get someone if it becomes clear we are lacking in a particular area of the pitch, and we'll be continually assessing this.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't want to many loan players as I feel do better with players are committed to the club that's all !

Ah, you remember the 1950s!

Sorry, most players aren't committed to the club in the way that you fondly imagine, not any more. Whether they're signed up to the club for 93 days, a season, 2 years, three years or 5 years, they're not 'committed', not like fans are.
True, part of it may well be that they like playing football, and are good at it - and it's always a feel-good factor to be someone who is recognised as being good at what they do, and get recognition and praise for it.
Ultimately, though, they are committed to getting something approaching an annual salary in their pay packets, every week.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ah, you remember the 1950s!

Sorry, most players aren't committed to the club in the way that you fondly imagine, not any more. Whether they're signed up to the club for 93 days, a season, 2 years, three years or 5 years, they're not 'committed', not like fans are.
True, part of it may well be that they like playing football, and are good at it - and it's always a feel-good factor to be someone who is recognised as being good at what they do, and get recognition and praise for it.
Ultimately, though, they are committed to getting something approaching an annual salary in their pay packets, every week.

Not sure I entirely agree.....from the sidelines it looks to me as though the team spirit/passion/playing for the shirt or whatever other cliche fits is light years ahead of last year when we had a motley selection of mercenaries. Part of this must be down to the players feeling part of the club for at least the medium term ?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Surprised myself that I feel quite sanguine about the club's decision not to go straight to the loan market.
I do think the squad can be improved but (especially after last year) it feels quite good to be not running round like headless chickens when the window opens. Might feel different when the cream of the Prem's young talent is playing for our opponents but we'll see.............

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not sure I entirely agree.....from the sidelines it looks to me as though the team spirit/passion/playing for the shirt or whatever other cliche fits is light years ahead of last year when we had a motley selection of mercenaries. Part of this must be down to the players feeling part of the club for at least the medium term ?
Certainly there seems to be a bit more team spirit around this season - but maybe that's more about feeling part of a team, rather than part of the club. Or perhaps I'm just too cynical!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
28 day loan is really for emergencies like when a League One side gets an injury crisis.

If we are to believe the press PL sides have players left over that do not make their squad ( Valentin Roberge and Charis Mavrias: Gawd forbid!). If they make the 25 man squad, PL teams cannot bring in loan replacements so they are unlikely to move?

We have already finished our transactions until January next year. Teixeira (not that I would want him) made the Liverpool squad and both Bridcutt and Buckley made the Sunderland 25 man squad.

Even if we missed a squad player, I cannot seen a loan player being signed as the PL clubs are not allowed to get replacements.

All as expected: http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/br...yone-in-the-loan-window/?#UkqMwTvwQRzTb5I3.97

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here