Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The loan window opens on...

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Nice problem to have this year though isn't it!

We can afford to wait and choose the right loans that will benefit us the most, last year we NEEDED to get loans in quick as the summer recruitment was SHOCKING

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I may have missunderstood Bensgrandad's appraisal of our wing options.

But would add, there is a difference between 'can play on the wing' and 'is a winger'. Rosenior 'can play on the wing'. There appears to be a bit of consusion as to whether Elvis 'is a winger who can play up front' or 'is a striker who can play on the wing'.
Yes, I am very confused as to whether Elvis is primarily a winger, or mainly a striker.

Basically, there is a case for getting on loan a player to play Elvis' 'secondary' position, whether that's a striker, or a winger.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
.. Wednesday and I have a number of questions.

i) do you think we should take advantage of the loan market, given Last years farce?
Last year's farce was last year - no relevance to this discussion. If we can get a chance to sign somebody better than what we've got, that we could never afford, then we should go for it. Everybody else will!

ii) with the squad looking strong and competition already high, where do you think we need to strength?
Central midfield (cover), creative number 10 type, 30 goal a season striker - but really, ANTWHERE if there's a better player than what we've got.

iii) who do you think/hope we bring in?
No idea - CH and his recruitment team may have some ideas - their ideas will be far better than mine!

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Yes, I am very confused as to whether Elvis is primarily a winger, or mainly a striker.

Basically, there is a case for getting on loan a player to play Elvis' 'secondary' position, whether that's a striker, or a winger.
CH compared him to Baldock so striker presumably.

Getting a decent loan player when we cannot guarantee a first team start will not be easy.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Getting a decent loan player when we cannot guarantee a first team start will not be easy.
That's a shame, I was hoping we'd have Elvis and Lua Lua on the wings.

Guess a loan for a speedy right winger is what we need, then, rather than a striker.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
A 20-goal-a-season striker please...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
A bit of positive news on the "secondary striker" front is that Jack Harper has tweeted today that he expects to be back playing "in a month".

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
There are lots of factors to consider but what type of loan are you talking about, 4 months or season long?

All loans after the transfer deadline day window are short terms loans, so the only thing to consider is if we need cover for that amount of time or simply if they will be good enough.

I dont imagine any loan player would currently come straight into the starting 11, but at the same time I cant see us bringing in anyone who wouldnt make the squad.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
All loans after the transfer deadline day window are short terms loans, so the only thing to consider is if we need cover for that amount of time or simply if they will be good enough.

I dont imagine any loan player would currently come straight into the starting 11, but at the same time I cant see us bringing in anyone who wouldnt make the squad.

I don't know of any realistic players available who would fit our current criteria.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If a quality player becomes available who CH believes will be add to the squad, then why not? I would suggest that it should be for a year, or at least much longer than the 5 minute wonders of last season's revolving door. The longer they are here, the more committed they are likely to be in most cases. I don't think anyone ever questioned the commitment of Wayne Bridge or Stephen Ward.

When does the emergency loan window open?

Get ready! This Wednesday, September 9.

When does it close?

The loan window will close on November 25. Clubs are then unable to strengthen their sides until the January transfer window when we will do it all again...

How long can the players move for?

The loan deals can last between 28 days and 93 days.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

28 day loan is really for emergencies like when a League One side gets an injury crisis.

If we are to believe the press PL sides have players left over that do not make their squad ( Valentin Roberge and Charis Mavrias: Gawd forbid!). If they make the 25 man squad, PL teams cannot bring in loan replacements so they are unlikely to move?

We have already finished our transactions until January next year. Teixeira (not that I would want him) made the Liverpool squad and both Bridcutt and Buckley made the Sunderland 25 man squad.

Even if we missed a squad player, I cannot seen a loan player being signed as the PL clubs are not allowed to get replacements.

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Alex Pritchard. When fit, obviously.

He is the Spurs 25 man squad and they will not let him go out. Discounted as I have all squad members of PL teams, and even ageing 31 yo Spurs strikers on high pay packets.

I would like a winger that can hare down the wing at 20 mph and cross the ball plum on Bobby Zs head! But I think the current crop of wingers will have to learn how to do this and they have got until January to prove it.

I am not really in favour of giving PL teams match practice for their youngsters. We have got a 25 man squad as it is. It should be more than enough. Different last season when we were short on numbers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here