[Music] The Live Music thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Primavera this year definitely had some issues (2 water fountains for 80,000 people wasn't great), but otherwise was a very decent festival, its all in the Parc Del Forum site, so is just one big site. Some of the stages were arranged oddly, mainly that there were two mainstages directly next to each other, which just involved shuffling side to side, but I only saw Charlii XCX, Tame Impala, Fontaines and Pavement on that stage. It was pretty easy to get to the front if you planned well enough. The concrete floor, definitely takes it out of you moshing wise, and I stacked it during Black Midi and it definitely hurts a lot more than grass! Clashes were pretty bad to be honest, there were definitely some intentional ones to split the crowd (Wet Leg and Fontaines being the most annoying one), but that is the same as all festivals (actually Yo La Tengo and Charli XCX was another annoying one). They did have a Primavera in la Ciudad programme midweek, but to be honest that was a bit of a farce, as there were about 3 seperate queues for every event, as you could buy tickets, and people with both weekends got priority. I tried to see Alex Cameron, Ice Age, Beak, Slowdive, Wet Leg, Sinead O'Brien and Jockstrap at these but all were completely futile, luckily all venues were central so just went to a bar when we realised we were nowhere near getting in. One other thing, its illegal to drink on the streets in Barcelona, as I learnt, due to not wanting to drink 4.50 euro 33cl Estrella all day, I decided to drink a 1.15 euro carton of White Wine, only to be fined 50 euros by Spanish Police for drinking in the street (understandably urinating in the street is also 50 euros, but I feel like my friend deserved that).

I actually saw Parquet Courts myself at Brixton Academy last night, supported by Warmduscher who were really good. The new stuff is often a contrast to some of the older stuff, and while I do like the new album, I do think its one of their weaker albums (to be fair Light Up Gold and Wide Awake are albums that I easily describe as 10s). I would have liked to hear Master of My Craft / Borrowed Time personally, but not to worry. Jealous you got What Colour is Blood, we got Black and White off that album, would have loved to have seen them in Chalk, but the flight landed at 8:30, so would have been tight.

That's worth knowing, I imagine the heat can be a bit draining as well, the festival always has a great line up. Shame it was only Dana for Porridge Radio as saw them the other week and the band and album are really strong, she can hold an audience anyway. I really like Warmduscher they are great fun live and make great records. Sounds like that white wine was a very expensive tipple, what do they threaten you with for non payment jail or deportation. Would have been very tight for Parquet Courts as it was an early gig they came on at 8.30 and finished at about 9.50 I think. I really like the new album its s real grower especially when you read whats behind the tracks.

I always find gigs can dry up a bit this time of year as the festivals are in full swing I am tempted by Deliluh at the Hope and Ruin if I am free next week, I have been liking that new album. I got some Resident Instores and looking forward to getting my hands on the new LIFE album and instore (now August sadly). Been really liking the Just Mustard album and must sort out my ticket for them at Patterns latter this year as well. I see St Vincent is playing the De La War with excellent support from the great Big Joanie may have to wait for some pocket money before buying that one as its £32.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
That's worth knowing, I imagine the heat can be a bit draining as well, the festival always has a great line up. Shame it was only Dana for Porridge Radio as saw them the other week and the band and album are really strong, she can hold an audience anyway. I really like Warmduscher they are great fun live and make great records. Sounds like that white wine was a very expensive tipple, what do they threaten you with for non payment jail or deportation. Would have been very tight for Parquet Courts as it was an early gig they came on at 8.30 and finished at about 9.50 I think. I really like the new album its s real grower especially when you read whats behind the tracks.

I always find gigs can dry up a bit this time of year as the festivals are in full swing I am tempted by Deliluh at the Hope and Ruin if I am free next week, I have been liking that new album. I got some Resident Instores and looking forward to getting my hands on the new LIFE album and instore (now August sadly). Been really liking the Just Mustard album and must sort out my ticket for them at Patterns latter this year as well. I see St Vincent is playing the De La War with excellent support from the great Big Joanie may have to wait for some pocket money before buying that one as its £32.

They had a card machine and were speaking in Spanish, so in a panic I just paid, they checked my ID so I just thought it wasn’t worth the fuss of arguing. Didn’t know Deliluh, we’re playing next week, I might give that a go, I was recommended them by the lead singer of squid at Green Man, very Slint like so if I can round up a mate, I’ll probably be there.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

Got tickets for Life at Patterns in October. Didn’t know much about the band until quite recently and really enjoying the first two albums.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Got tickets for Life at Patterns in October. Didn’t know much about the band until quite recently and really enjoying the first two albums.

They are playing a rescheduled instore at Resi on August 25. Would like them just on Moral Fibre and their personalities. Triffic band.

Parquet Courts are becoming more influential all the time. Went to France to see them after the first album and they were nowhere near the beast they are now. Plus Louise Wener and Fujiya and Miyagi were at that gig, so my night would have been made anyway.

Peacehaven — meant to get you a surprise beer at Tim Burgess but wasn't completely sure it was you under your hat.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just seen the mesmerizing Yves Tumor. Interesting gig as he has dispensed with most of the electronics he has on record and employed a band and a metal guitarist compete with thrown theatrical rock shapes. Last band I saw do this was Fischerspooner and it was a disaster; this was excellent.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

Superb band and very good live, Mez singer. Loz bass and Mick guitar are all just live wires on stage, once you see them you will be hooked. They are doing an instore for the new album as well at Resident, friends without names one of my tracks of the year, cannot wait to see it live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZkBwvEx1uM

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Superb band and very good live, Mez singer. Loz bass and Mick guitar are all just live wires on stage, once you see them you will be hooked. They are doing an instore for the new album as well at Resident, friends without names one of my tracks of the year, cannot wait to see it live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZkBwvEx1uM

Looking forward to that more than ever now. Thanks for the confirmation and You Tube link. Certainly a great track.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They had a card machine and were speaking in Spanish, so in a panic I just paid, they checked my ID so I just thought it wasn’t worth the fuss of arguing. Didn’t know Deliluh, we’re playing next week, I might give that a go, I was recommended them by the lead singer of squid at Green Man, very Slint like so if I can round up a mate, I’ll probably be there.

Deliluh are great. I knew the keyboard guy from my local coffee shop before he moved back to Canada; saw them supporting Squid earlier in the year.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Deliluh are great. I knew the keyboard guy from my local coffee shop before he moved back to Canada; saw them supporting Squid earlier in the year.

Gave the new album a whirl this morning on the train to work and was a big fan, so snapped up some tickets, looking forward to it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
One of my favourite live bands is Follakzoid...and I am going to see them in Kopenhagen this Friday during a short city break. I will also make the pilgramage to Mikkeller and Warpigs. It's the wife's birthday but it feels like mine :lolol:

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Just off to see Public Image Ltd at Chalk. I’ve a feeling it’s going to be pretty hot and sweaty after a day like today. Average age of crowd 55.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Looking forward to An Evening With Roger Daltry (got v v cheap tickets). I enjoy these type of conversation, q and a, some acoustic, some electric songs, some classic Who, some rarities. He hasn't had a stellar solo career of course but a more interesting one than most. Particularly hoping he'll play this Leo Sayer penned classic!

edit - i had hair like Roger's in the late 80s

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Happy to find out yesterday Herman Dune are not just playing The Union Chapel in London but an intimate gig at the Rose Hill Tavern just 3 minutes from my front door. In October. Superb news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiR4_7uxNrQ

Attachments

• HD 22.jpg
    HD 22.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 94

morematey

Jun 28, 2017
Kills Birds are playing Green Store Door on 16th August. Their live shows have been getting great reviews over the last couple of months. Best thing about it? It’s buy one get one free on tickets through the National Lottery. Including fees £12.50 for 2 tickets on www.ticketweb.co.uk. Bargain.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Kills Birds are playing Green Store Door on 16th August. Their live shows have been getting great reviews over the last couple of months. Best thing about it? It’s buy one get one free on tickets through the National Lottery. Including fees £12.50 for 2 tickets on www.ticketweb.co.uk. Bargain.

Thanks for the info, I saw them at The Great Escape on the pier back in May. They were very good if you like punky noise. Female lead was excellent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports