Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Drive By Truckers tonight and Bob Mould Thursday and I think I have then used up all multiple backlog of COVID postponements.

Going to be a tough week for the ears!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Went to Queen + Adam Lambert at The O2 last night. Phenomenal, one of the best arena shows I have ever seen, and I have seen a lot. Absolutely brilliant.

Next up Wolfsbane and Dawn After Dark in Kidderminster on saturday.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Drive By Truckers at Chalk tonight.

They have a legitimate claim to being the best rock band on the planet.

:bowdown:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
For the chilled, neo-classical fans....Poppy Ackroyd is at the Attenborough Centre in October.

Lovely.

“On par with neo-classical giants Nils Frahm, Max Richter and Hauschka” - MOJO

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Went to Queen + Adam Lambert at The O2 last night. Phenomenal, one of the best arena shows I have ever seen, and I have seen a lot. Absolutely brilliant.

Next up Wolfsbane and Dawn After Dark in Kidderminster on saturday.

I went on Sunday to Q+AL and totally agree - they know exactly how to work a room like that. Crowd pleaser after crowd pleaser. Seen the current line-up a few times (Mrs D is a fan) and they are always good; they don't pretend AL is Freddie Mk 2, but fully acknowledge his legacy and Freddie does appear (virtually, of course) in the show.

Might get grief on here for admitting it, but saw the Abba show on its opening weekend. Irrespective of the music, it is an INCREDIBLE achievement and experience. Mrs D and I were amongst many we suspect, sat chuckling at astonishment at what we were seeing. Oh, and it fits into the Live Music thread as there's a REALLY good 10-piece band playing live throughout the show.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Drive By Truckers at Chalk tonight.

They have a legitimate claim to being the best rock band on the planet.

:bowdown:

Weren't they good? I don't know their stuff that well but I was spellbound for the full two hours.

Got to be the oldest and most joyful audience I've ever been part of though!!

Looking forward to Mouldy Bob on Thursday now.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Might get grief on here for admitting it, but saw the Abba show on its opening weekend. Irrespective of the music, it is an INCREDIBLE achievement and experience. Mrs D and I were amongst many we suspect, sat chuckling at astonishment at what we were seeing. Oh, and it fits into the Live Music thread as there's a REALLY good 10-piece band playing live throughout the show.

Why would anyone give you grief for that? Music is in the eye (ear) of the beholder. If you enjoy it, that validates it.

No one’s music taste is implicitly ‘better’ than anyone else’s.

Except mine, of course.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Weren't they good? I don't know their stuff that well but I was spellbound for the full two hours.

Got to be the oldest and most joyful audience I've ever been part of though!!

Looking forward to Mouldy Bob on Thursday now.

Tomorrow's Stratocaster maestro should nicely compliment last night's SG, Les Paul and Telecaster exhibition.

Marvellous sounds.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Just got back from Primavera Sound, some absolute bucket list acts I saw, Dinosaur Jr, Les Savy Fav, Lightning Bolt and Pavement to say the least. Pavement were an absolute dream, hit after hit after hit, biblical. Fontaines were amazing on the main stage, they were meant to play stages like that. Shame and Parquet Courts were on form as usual, and due to passport issues, porridge radio were a solo set which she absolutely smashed out of the park. Weirdest of all while waiting for Earl Sweatshirt someone had a brief conversation with me about the Fan Advisory Board, small world eh?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Just got back from Primavera Sound, some absolute bucket list acts I saw, Dinosaur Jr, Les Savy Fav, Lightning Bolt and Pavement to say the least. Pavement were an absolute dream, hit after hit after hit, biblical. Fontaines were amazing on the main stage, they were meant to play stages like that. Shame and Parquet Courts were on form as usual, and due to passport issues, porridge radio were a solo set which she absolutely smashed out of the park. Weirdest of all while waiting for Earl Sweatshirt someone had a brief conversation with me about the Fan Advisory Board, small world eh?[/QUOTE

Saw Parquet Courts last night and they were on top form. Real contrast between their noisier punk output and more dance orientated songs., Kicked off with a brilliant extended version of Application/Apparatus which built slowly and was the perfect start to the set. A few oldies thrown in, we seemed to get most of Sympathy For Life. Shame on those that talked through Pulcinella. It would have been a perfect end to the set however some of the crowd thought otherwise. Well done too for not playing an encore.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Just got back from Primavera Sound, some absolute bucket list acts I saw, Dinosaur Jr, Les Savy Fav, Lightning Bolt and Pavement to say the least. Pavement were an absolute dream, hit after hit after hit, biblical. Fontaines were amazing on the main stage, they were meant to play stages like that. Shame and Parquet Courts were on form as usual, and due to passport issues, porridge radio were a solo set which she absolutely smashed out of the park. Weirdest of all while waiting for Earl Sweatshirt someone had a brief conversation with me about the Fan Advisory Board, small world eh?

Looked at the price of Pavement tickets .... That's the cost of 3 pretty nice haircuts.

Or I could sell some of my Pavement records to fund it but none of them seem to be worth that kind of money.

....time is a one way track

Bob Mould was ****ing brilliant last night

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Going to see Tim Burgess at the Komedia tonight, big fan of The Charlatans so will be interesting too see him solo

Did you like it, I discovered him in Lock Down via his TwitterListeningPartys and I love the new Sky album became one of my lock down albums. The third time I have seen him now and he always brings the energy I think. Some people thought they were not quite together yet as it was the warm up for the tour, I think the standard of musicians in his band Daniel O Sullivan (Grumling Fur) and Helen O Hara (Dexys Midnight Runners) plus I think his some of his new music was written with Nitin Sawhney, it is always going to be good. I loved it. I did name my dog Laurie after the track of the I love the New Sky, got some pictures last year with them together.

Attachments

• Tim 22.jpg
    Tim 22.jpg
    490.7 KB · Views: 66

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yves Tumor tomorrow night.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Joe Jackson last night. Brilliant…

I saw Joe Jackson 5 or 6 times back in 79/81 - including the Jumpin’ Jive tour where not many turned up which he joked about saying there was a tribute act on just down the road that people were going to instead! Loved his stage presence and can remember the first time I heard him on the radio one Saturday afternoon - One More Time I think the track was.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

Loved all your updates on twitter Jack, very envious, I went to Barcelona for the Belle and Sebastian Boaty Weekender and loved it, so would love to go. How is the getting around, is it mixed venues, stages, I assume you get lots of clashes, and how easy to get to the front if you want.

Parquet Courts at Chalk was brilliant they really talked about how much they love playing Brighton so I think we may be seeing them all again, as someone on here already said the new stuff was very good, they played my favorite at the moment 'Marathon of Anger' which I put a short video clip up on line. Great performance this was the set list, photoed off someone who had flown in straight from Primavera for the gig, your slaking Jack :D and yes I agree Fontaines were always destined for big venues

Attachments

• PC 22.jpg
    PC 22.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 57

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Loved all your updates on twitter Jack, very envious, I went to Barcelona for the Belle and Sebastian Boaty Weekender and loved it, so would love to go. How is the getting around, is it mixed venues, stages, I assume you get lots of clashes, and how easy to get to the front if you want.

Parquet Courts at Chalk was brilliant they really talked about how much they love playing Brighton so I think we may be seeing them all again, as someone on here already said the new stuff was very good, they played my favorite at the moment 'Marathon of Anger' which I put a short video clip up on line. Great performance this was the set list, photoed off someone who had flown in straight from Primavera for the gig, your slaking Jack :D and yes I agree Fontaines were always destined for big venues

Primavera this year definitely had some issues (2 water fountains for 80,000 people wasn't great), but otherwise was a very decent festival, its all in the Parc Del Forum site, so is just one big site. Some of the stages were arranged oddly, mainly that there were two mainstages directly next to each other, which just involved shuffling side to side, but I only saw Charlii XCX, Tame Impala, Fontaines and Pavement on that stage. It was pretty easy to get to the front if you planned well enough. The concrete floor, definitely takes it out of you moshing wise, and I stacked it during Black Midi and it definitely hurts a lot more than grass! Clashes were pretty bad to be honest, there were definitely some intentional ones to split the crowd (Wet Leg and Fontaines being the most annoying one), but that is the same as all festivals (actually Yo La Tengo and Charli XCX was another annoying one). They did have a Primavera in la Ciudad programme midweek, but to be honest that was a bit of a farce, as there were about 3 seperate queues for every event, as you could buy tickets, and people with both weekends got priority. I tried to see Alex Cameron, Ice Age, Beak, Slowdive, Wet Leg, Sinead O'Brien and Jockstrap at these but all were completely futile, luckily all venues were central so just went to a bar when we realised we were nowhere near getting in. One other thing, its illegal to drink on the streets in Barcelona, as I learnt, due to not wanting to drink 4.50 euro 33cl Estrella all day, I decided to drink a 1.15 euro carton of White Wine, only to be fined 50 euros by Spanish Police for drinking in the street (understandably urinating in the street is also 50 euros, but I feel like my friend deserved that).

I actually saw Parquet Courts myself at Brixton Academy last night, supported by Warmduscher who were really good. The new stuff is often a contrast to some of the older stuff, and while I do like the new album, I do think its one of their weaker albums (to be fair Light Up Gold and Wide Awake are albums that I easily describe as 10s). I would have liked to hear Master of My Craft / Borrowed Time personally, but not to worry. Jealous you got What Colour is Blood, we got Black and White off that album, would have loved to have seen them in Chalk, but the flight landed at 8:30, so would have been tight.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Just got back from Primavera Sound, some absolute bucket list acts I saw, Dinosaur Jr, Les Savy Fav, Lightning Bolt and Pavement to say the least. Pavement were an absolute dream, hit after hit after hit, biblical. Fontaines were amazing on the main stage, they were meant to play stages like that. Shame and Parquet Courts were on form as usual, and due to passport issues, porridge radio were a solo set which she absolutely smashed out of the park. Weirdest of all while waiting for Earl Sweatshirt someone had a brief conversation with me about the Fan Advisory Board, small world eh?[/QUOTE

Saw Parquet Courts last night and they were on top form. Real contrast between their noisier punk output and more dance orientated songs., Kicked off with a brilliant extended version of Application/Apparatus which built slowly and was the perfect start to the set. A few oldies thrown in, we seemed to get most of Sympathy For Life. Shame on those that talked through Pulcinella. It would have been a perfect end to the set however some of the crowd thought otherwise. Well done too for not playing an encore.

My friend got in argument with someone at King Krule at Primavera, I definitely get how you feel, if you find yourself talking loud enough to be heard over the music, you probably need to go home.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here