Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Does anyone have a spare for the Viet Cong gig on Sunday?

Green Man

Dec 22, 2014
BN2
Cracking evening at the Green Door Store yesterday. Anyone else make it down? Managed to catch Bad For Lazarus, tremendous noisy fun. And AK/DK were terrific, sort of the mutant offspring of Suicide and Hot Chip.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Cracking evening at the Green Door Store yesterday. Anyone else make it down? Managed to catch Bad For Lazarus, tremendous noisy fun. And AK/DK were terrific, sort of the mutant offspring of Suicide and Hot Chip.

It really was. Merlin Tonto, the band before BFL were my highlight. Grasshopper (catch them supporting The Charlatans if you are going to that gig) and The Creaking Chair impressed. Rooster Cole's the best front man in Brighton - he just needs a band now.

Thanks for coming down, it was really busy and we ended up paying the bands handsomely, which was the idea. Next one will be between TGE and Glastonbury either 30 May or 6 June.

Viet Cong were pretty special last night I thought. Didn't think much of the support though. There were a few people who paid and couldn't get back in which was a little disappointing.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
One for any of the metal heads on this thread. Local band Stone Circle are having an album launch at the Green Door Store tonight, and the album is brilliant. Given away with Terrorizer mag and available on their bandcamp page. It is a pretty intense technical piece of progressive death metal if that makes sense. Plenty of light and shade, growl and clean vocal. I highly recommend it.

Missed saturday night's Green Door bash due to a thoroughly lousy mood will try and check out Bad for Lazarus at some other time as I did want to see them.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Ahead of his sold out performance at The Westhill Hall on Friday, Richard Dawson did this interview with The Quietus. I had Nothing Important in my top 20 last year, however, it has grown on me more and more since, this is a wonderful insight into his process. The brilliant Lutine support.

http://thequietus.com/articles/17205-richard-dawson-interview-2

You should try and catch The Soft Walls, who play their first show after that stunner supporting Hookworms last year at The Hope's reopening on Thursday. Just leave room for me please.

Egon Spengler

Jul 5, 2011
Viet Cong were pretty special last night I thought. Didn't think much of the support though. There were a few people who paid and couldn't get back in which was a little disappointing.

Yeah, especially as he seemed to be losing his voice. I was sold as soon as he mentioned the Evening Star though.

I quite liked the last 2 tracks from the support but wasn't blown away.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Got some Hot Chip tickets this morning. One of my favourite bands playing one of my favourite venues. Can't wait.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Ahead of his sold out performance at The Westhill Hall on Friday, Richard Dawson did this interview with The Quietus. I had Nothing Important in my top 20 last year, however, it has grown on me more and more since, this is a wonderful insight into his process. The brilliant Lutine support.

http://thequietus.com/articles/17205-richard-dawson-interview-2

You should try and catch The Soft Walls, who play their first show after that stunner supporting Hookworms last year at The Hope's reopening on Thursday. Just leave room for me please.

Changing the subject a bit what is The Westhill Hall like as a venue? I have tickets for The Lovely Eggs in May but never been there.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Yeah, especially as he seemed to be losing his voice. I was sold as soon as he mentioned the Evening Star though.

I quite liked the last 2 tracks from the support but wasn't blown away.

I've been cutting down my intake this year (and aside from last Saturday have gone well.) The Star is my local and I'd normally be in there pre gig so I was a bit upset to have missed the chance to have a drink with Matt. I met Mike from Women/ Viet Cong when he toured here with his other band Friendo a few years ago. Lovely bloke.

I didn't get on with the support at all. I went to the bar for a chat - the sound was rubbish ( really muddy) the people I went with enjoyed it though.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Pretty good, though if it is busy the room can seem a little bit long and thin.

That is more than compensated for by it being BYOB though. Soundwise I've never had a problem.

Thanks. Could not tell by visiting their website- looked a bit like a village hall, but then it is a hall so I guess I should not be suprised!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here