Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Fair comment, it was the frontman who was a bit mouthy, the others were pretty shy and retiring. Plus at the time they maybe didn't have the material to back up the attitude. Must give the album a listen - they did seem to have improved when they were supporting can't remember who at the Concorde about a year ago.

Saw them at Concorde 2 but like you I can't remember in what context. Were they supporting Savages? Or was it another Great Escape? My memory really is deteriorating rapidly!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm not sure. Until now it hasn't bothered me too much. The changes in size have not been too big and I've reconciled the issue with the idea that if it helps promoters get a bit more cash for some gigs (upsizing) and not lose money on others (downsizing) then it's a good thing. I know promoter's margins are small and profit and loss is a fine line. But, the moves have generally been lesser know acts and small-ish venues. A 3000 hall (the venue is quite intimate as a balcony hangs over the downstairs bit) to a 12000 capacity cycling arena for a well known band is quite different. And the fact it was a small (for The Prodigy) venue did influence our decision.

Feel a bit deflated by it to be honest.

That's exactly the situation where I'd be pissed off. I have a bit of a self enforced and occasionally broken rule that is "no bigger than Brixton," which rules out Wembely Arena, Ally Pally, O2 etc.... It has to be something really special to lure me to that kind of venue, whereas I'd see quite a lot at Brixton as for its size it feels pretty intimate.

Same way if something were upgraded from The Dome to The Centre, it's a totally different experience with different criteria for buying tickets.

Yes my level of music related anal retentiveness does surprise me sometimes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That's exactly the situation where I'd be pissed off. I have a bit of a self enforced and occasionally broken rule that is "no bigger than Brixton," which rules out Wembely Arena, Ally Pally, O2 etc.... It has to be something really special to lure me to that kind of venue, whereas I'd see quite a lot at Brixton as for its size it feels pretty intimate.

Same way if something were upgraded from The Dome to The Centre, it's a totally different experience with different criteria for buying tickets.

Fair comment. To me the move looks like a promoter misjudging demand, so how can a promoter misjudge demand by so much?

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1

Yep - Brixton has been my rule of thumb for longer than I care to remember too. I always feel vaguely guilty and often disappointed when I break it.

Green Man

Dec 22, 2014
BN2

Agreed. We managed to get tickets for The XX at the Dome a couple of years ago. I was so gutted when they switched it to the Centre I decided not to go. Kind of wish I had now.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Yep - Brixton has been my rule of thumb for longer than I care to remember too. I always feel vaguely guilty and often disappointed when I break it.

Those really big arena gigs rarely live long in the memory for me - the I'll Be Your Mirror with Swans, Portishead, Grinderman at Ally Pally was a notable exception (but then festivals don't really count.) I remember White Stripes in the same venue on Get Behind Me Satan, Iron Maiden at Earls Court on Brave New World, Arcade Fire at O2 on The Suburbs, I was gutted to miss Prince at O2 on his run he did there.

Festivals are a bit of an exception of course.

The Centre has spoilt virtually every band I've seen there bar, bizarrely enough, Editors who I saw support Franz Ferdinand there merely months after I'd caught them at The Engine Rooms (so every excuse to be underwhelmed,) Blur and to some extent The Prodigy. The final straw was that Sigur Ros gig getting on for 18 months ago, which I thought was dire. The sound in that room is uniformaly dismal, the shape of the room isn't right and I get the feeling the PA isn't really up to the job. By the time a band gets to that level the selfish tosspot quotient in the audience increases (camera phones, incessant talking, barging past ......), there's no decent beer, the bar staff are awful, it's expensive, it looks like somewhere you'd hold a youth 5 a-side tournament. There may be some element of it becoming a self-fufilling prophecy now, as I'm so negative about going to the place.

Oh and any serious gig venue of that size (rather than conference centre doubling up as one) needs a floor with a gradient a la the old theatres like Brixton and Hammersmith Apollo, it makes such a difference.

Has anyone got any tips for The Centre? Is the sound better anywhere in the room? Are there bars that aren't busy? Is there a sneaky way to the front?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Those really big arena gigs rarely live long in the memory for me - the I'll Be Your Mirror with Swans, Portishead, Grinderman at Ally Pally was a notable exception (but then festivals don't really count.) I remember White Stripes in the same venue on Get Behind Me Satan, Iron Maiden at Earls Court on Brave New World, Arcade Fire at O2 on The Suburbs, I was gutted to miss Prince at O2 on his run he did there.

The Centre has spoilt virtually every band I've seen there bar, bizarrely enough, Editors who I saw support Franz Ferdinand there merely months after I'd caught them at The Engine Rooms (so every excuse to be underwhelmed,) Blur and to some extent The Prodigy. The final straw was that Sigur Ros gig getting on for 18 months ago, which I thought was dire. The sound in that room is uniformaly dismal, the shape of the room isn't right and I get the feeling the PA isn't really up to the job. By the time a band gets to that level the selfish tosspot quotient in the audience increases (camera phones, incessant talking, barging past ......), there's no decent beer, the bar staff are awful, it's expensive, it looks like somewhere you'd hold a youth 5 a-side tournament. There may be some element of it becoming a self-fufilling prophecy now, as I'm so negative about going to the place.

Oh and any serious gig venue of that size (rather than conference centre doubling up as one) needs a floor with a gradient a la the old theatres like Brixton and Hammersmith Apollo, it makes such a difference.

Has anyone got any tips for The Centre? Is the sound better anywhere in the room? Are there bars that aren't busy? Is there a sneaky way to the front?

The sound when Mötorhead played The Centre a few years ago was okay; no matter where you stood it was LOUD.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Saw Belle and Sebastian in Perth on Tuesday night, first time for me and I was pleasantly surprised, 14 of them on stage at one point and a real mixed bunch of tunes with the new album and (much to my pleasure) The Life Pursuit featuring heavily. Not uber trendy as seems de rigour on this tread lately but I had fun nonetheless.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Saw 2:54 last night at Dingwalls in Camden. Excellent live band, and awesome venue. Managed to meet the Thurlow sisters as well at the end, who both signed my t-shirt. All in all a fantastic night.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

The upstairs bar seems to be the least busy, although the range of beverages on display is still shit. I have seen seem some bands overcome the curse of the centre, Pulp on the This is Hardcore tour being particularly notable, seen one decent Manics gig there and one poor one. I think it' best suited to pop and seated shows. I saw Leonard Cohen and he was great and the recent Steve Hackett show was superb as well.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Just added local progressive-death metallers Stone Circle's album launch at The Green Door monday to my February list. This month is now filling out very nicely indeed.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I only have Hudson Taylor supported by Southern to see in Feb..................... Nick Mulvey in March....... but I have an excuse, I am moving house,... so the logistics are taking up most of my time,.... and money.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Viet Cong on Sunday. My (normally extremely cynical) mate messages me this morning to say we are "in for a treat" after he saw them in London last night.

They have a lot to live up to - Women at The Hope on Public Strain was one of the best gigs I've seen.

Green Man

Dec 22, 2014
BN2
Viet Cong on Sunday. My (normally extremely cynical) mate messages me this morning to say we are "in for a treat" after he saw them in London last night.

They have a lot to live up to - Women at The Hope on Public Strain was one of the best gigs I've seen.
Must admit I decided to blow this out for the Daevid Allen benefit at the Albert (hope I don't regret it!):

https://www.facebook.com/events/799823526764181/

Any other old hippies going? I still have quite a soft spot for Gong.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Nas
Roundhouse
Fri 5 June
Illmatic tribute tour tempter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here