The Lewes Bonfire Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
The MASSIVE difference between the societies letting off fireworks and the general public is that the societies let them off in the road where there isn't any public. The pissed up idiots in the crowd tend to enjoy throwing them into a crowd away from themselves. I had two close calls with bangers etc going off next too or near me and they were both by idiots in the crowd. I never feel any danger from the societies.

I have to say every year I go, it never ceases to amaze me the mentality of someone who would spend money on fireworks at a free organised fireworks display?

If you like it, come along and enjoy. If you don't like it/agree with it or just want to cause trouble then don't bother.

Dandyman

In London village.
No - just a God-given right to throw them at those not in the clique, apparently.

You Lewesians (Jevs apart) aren't coming out of this looking very good, you know.

Anybody in Bonfire who throws a rookie at the crowd will face at the very least a good bollocking from the marshalls and mor likely a ban from their Society.

As a proud member of the Ye Olde Cliffe Volunteer Fire Brigade, I can promise that we DO let off large numbers of rookies during the night but they are, as Yorkie, Roz & Lord B state, dropped in the road or in our case chucked under the fire tender not chucked at the watching hordes.

p.s. Jevs, ever thought of moving?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I speak as someone who has only been to Lewes on Bonfire night a couple of times, and not for a while - but I found it all a bit weird, and wasn't tempted back.

There's something all a bit Slaughtered Lamb, 'you're not from round 'ere' and faintly masonic about the whole thing for my tastes.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Anybody in Bonfire who throws a rookie at the crowd will face at the very least a good bollocking from the marshalls and mor likely a ban from their Society.

As a proud member of the Ye Olde Cliffe Volunteer Fire Brigade, I can promise that we DO let off large numbers of rookies during the night but they are, as Yorkie, Roz & Lord B state, dropped in the road or in our case chucked under the fire tender not chucked at the watching hordes.

p.s. Jevs, ever thought of moving?
Spot on Dandyman. I've got a pair on bonfire boots that have seen better days from blocking the blasts of bangers that have been placed in the road (or on Ram Beach - which looks like it's been tarmaced!!).

One difference between a pissed up bonfire buoy and a pissed up member of the public is that bonfire buoys still know not to throw bangers at the public or at kids in the procession.

As Lammy said, if you don't like it don't go! Simple really.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Very well said! Lewes Bonfire Night isn't to everyone's tastes but then what event is?

The world dwarf throwing championship?

dwarf.jpg

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
hmmm....still think the Lewesians are coming across as very parochial and superior on this thread.

I've been many times and I've seen processioners throwing rookies indiscriminately - also seen other resident Lewesians (who I know and that's quite a few) let them off all over the place - not just out of towners who seem to be the fall guy here.

Yes, it's dangerous. No- children ought not to go but some of the holier than thou stuff and all this "it's out of towners" nonsense. Falmer Parish Council, Neighbour and De Vecchi would be proud of you.

As someone else posted on here - if I'm not welcome in Lewes on Nov 5th, can you people of Lewes be a dear and kindly refrain from shopping or celebrating in Brighton at Christmas, ta awfully. It does clog up MY city so.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
hmmm....still think the Lewesians are coming across as very parochial and superior on this thread.

I've been many times and I've seen processioners throwing rookies indiscriminately - also seen other resident Lewesians (who I know and that's quite a few) let them off all over the place - not just out of towners who seem to be the fall guy here.

Yes, it's dangerous. No- children ought not to go but some of the holier than thou stuff and all this "it's out of towners" nonsense. Falmer Parish Council, Neighbour and De Vecchi would be proud of you.

As someone else posted on here - if I'm not welcome in Lewes on Nov 5th, can you people of Lewes be a dear and kindly refrain from shopping or celebrating in Brighton at Christmas, ta awfully. It does clog up MY city so.

I think some people are confusing being welcome and why it is being done.

It is not done for the crowds and if it was pouring with rain and no one turned up to watch it would still go ahead. Is it better with crowds? Yes of course it is. Can a town the size of Lewes handle every Tom, Dick and Harry turning up? no of course not. Therefore who would you rather turn up, locals who probably have connections or know people in the processions or just casual spectators. Of course the locals are going to get preference. (it's a bit like season ticket holders etc... but don’t tell anyone I said that).

I think the best comparison is Fat Boy Slims Beach gig. Was everyone welcome? Yes. Unfortunately every man and his dog DID turn up and now it doesn't happen anymore. Does that make Brighton cliquey? No it's just a numbers game at the end of the day and who would you rather be there if you HAD to choose.

At the end of the day this whole conversation is a bit of a nonsense as it is the students from the universities that really cause the congestion.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
... it is the students from the universities that really cause the congestion.
Uh huh! I've never seen so many people try to get on the 5:20 from Falmer to Lewes as I did on Monday. Most of them probably have no idea why Lewes has such a large bonfire event in the first place.

"Martyrs? What's my martyr got to do with this? She is at home with my papa!! Do you want a bunch of 5's, you heathen?"

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I wasn't being totally serious. The attitude that goes with it bugs me - i.e. This is a fantastic and unique event, but outsiders are not welcome and we don't want to share.

All would be welcome to watch if there wasn't an issue of space, Lewes is a very small town and unable to cope with massive crowds, this year we had a crowd of 60,000 in a town with a population of 15,000. If we in the bonfire societies said anyone can come along, Lewes would not cope, and the event cancelled on Safety grounds.

There used to be a bonfire celebration held in Brighton every year, but it folded, If your all so worried about watching fireworks and having a procession, reform it and hold your own event.

Lewes bonfire would continue if there was no crowd at all, it is not about putting on a show for the crowds, but continuing a tradition that has carried on for hundreds of years, I for one would be happy if there were not visitors, as they turn up and do not realise what it is all about, they don't expect as much noise, or for fireworks to be discharged in the streets (something that we have to limit due to crowd density, reducing our enjoyment of the evening!) and they often bring very young children, and sometimes even pet dogs with them.

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
1st time I've been and it put me in mind of the Wicker man. Enjoyed it immensely but the only danger to anyone I saw was the random way bangers were thrown about by people in the procession who I notice all had hiking boots on. If I go again I'll follow suit. The crowd seemed much less threatening than some of the people in the procession imo.

Same here agree about some soceity members, first time for me, enjoyed it, and the commercial square fireworks were quality, met some lovely girls there. Though agree I found it a bit Wicker Man. Plus was a little concerned about bangers but that was all.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Agreed. From my childhood I distinctly remember the bit in the firework code where it says "Place lit fireworks where others are about to walk. Especially those with young children in pushchairs. This is not dangerous at all. Ever. Honest."
Does it make you feel good to deliberately misunderstand my posts?
What part of stage thunderflashes don't you understand?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
All would be welcome to watch if there wasn't an issue of space, Lewes is a very small town and unable to cope with massive crowds, this year we had a crowd of 60,000 in a town with a population of 15,000. If we in the bonfire societies said anyone can come along, Lewes would not cope, and the event cancelled on Safety grounds.

There used to be a bonfire celebration held in Brighton every year, but it folded, If your all so worried about watching fireworks and having a procession, reform it and hold your own event.

Lewes bonfire would continue if there was no crowd at all, it is not about putting on a show for the crowds, but continuing a tradition that has carried on for hundreds of years, I for one would be happy if there were not visitors, as they turn up and do not realise what it is all about, they don't expect as much noise, or for fireworks to be discharged in the streets (something that we have to limit due to crowd density, reducing our enjoyment of the evening!) and they often bring very young children, and sometimes even pet dogs with them.

Do all visitors that turn up not realise what it is about and the level of noise? Nice generalisation there.

Whilst I do understand what you are getting at, I think it is underestimated how much of a boost this night is to the economy of Lewes.

I still don't understand why the Lewesians are so precious when it comes to visitors - I used to go alot when I was younger, as guests of some Ditchiling folk who used to have a huge meal with a large gathering and never once felt unwelcome. The sort of attitude suggests that they do not need anything outside of Lewes District - Following that sort of logic, why not just stick to watching Lewes play football and all things Lewes District? I always regarded Lewes as my County town, but the sort of attitude shown here puts me off ever wanting to spend any money there - no doubt the heathens would celebrate that fact.

Aside from that, the boss of Festival Fireworks (people some may remember the death of two firefighters) was arrested that night and it can be found on youtube.

[yt]M_YI3t6v0Cc[/yt]

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Does it make you feel good to deliberately misunderstand my posts?
What part of stage thunderflashes don't you understand?

Chill. Only jesting with ya.

(although I don't understand any of 'stage thunderflashes' - I've never heard the term before :thicko: )

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
bascally, BoF it's nimby parochialism at its very worst.

Oh we don't mind people turning up - except students, out of towners you know the sort - they don't understand our ways, blah ,blah, elitist, blah blah.

I agree completely with your post. Look at the way they attacked Jev - an "outsider" apparently.

Can't say it makes me feel like Lewes is a welcome place either. What a sad bunchof inbreds they look.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
"Attacked Jevs?" Oh do get over yourself! So far this poor innocent has described (without any provocation) every member of the Cliffe Bonfire Society as "****s", carried on to accuse others of being hysterical and/or talking bollocks and generally made a thoroughly professional job of being downright unpleasant.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
It was my first visit to Lewes on Bonfire night despite my Mum being born in Lewes and her having been a member of Commercial Square (along with her sister and brother in law) society many years ago. My Dad wouldn't allow me to go when I was younger, then I lived away for many years.
I didn't feel any Lewesian not making me welcome, and the posts from inhabitants of the town on this thread were taken with a large dollop of salt
Thunderflashes just make a loud bang, they're all 'show' and not dangerous, as in flammable. People in the procession with crinoline skirts as part of their costume were walking right past them as they went 'bang' without fear of burning.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
"Attacked Jevs?" Oh do get over yourself! So far this poor innocent has described (without any provocation) every member of the Cliffe Bonfire Society as "****s", carried on to accuse others of being hysterical and/or talking bollocks and generally made a thoroughly professional job of being downright unpleasant.

yes - attacked. Seriously - reread the pompous shite the Lewesians have posted on here. Apparently it's all outsiders not understanding the "rules". The rules being that it's a private party and we outsiders are "allowed" (so gracious of you) but we better behave ourselves. I never said Jevs was innocent - just that he doesn't appear parochial and elitist.

I'm genuinely surprised that some Lewes people can post some of the stuff they've done on here. Especially with the way that some of you have fought so hard against nasty little parochialism. Bunch of NIMBYs.

EDIT - Surprisingly, though it seems confined to this board as I've never felt the antagonism when I've been there. Got mates who live right in town and have been with them many times. Thrown my fair share of rookies and had them thrown at me. I take that as part of the deal. Still - what do I know. I'm only an outsider.

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Have you been able to identify the Lewes residents on this thread then Buzzer? I can only see one and that is Jevs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports