Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Legend that is and always will be, CHARLIE OATWAY.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
From where I'm sitting, he was a fairly average but very hard working player, whose status within the club is elevated by having been part of the first successful side we'd had after many years of being in the doldrums. His role in......

So, just to clarify as your post wasn't clear, do you enjoy Oatway's humour or not? ;)

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think you underestimate how much someone would earn from a testimonial match.

like you I don't know how much people earn from a testimonial match (but some struggle to break even), nor do I know how much the pay off was.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
like you I don't know how much people earn from a testimonial match (but some struggle to break even), nor do I know how much the pay off was.

Regardless of the ins & outs of how much players earn from their Testimonial(s), I think we can safely say that Charlie's would have been very lucrative - had it happened.

Anyways, enough about Charlie Oatway. Has somebody done the decent thing & cut down Leon Shite's poisonous presence from its framework yet? And if not: why not?? :tosser:

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
From where I'm sitting, he was a fairly average but very hard working player, whose status within the club is elevated by having been part of the first successful side we'd had after many years of being in the doldrums. His role in that side was no more or less important than guys like Richard Carpenter or Paul Watson. I suspect the perception of him amongst some is more down to his personality/charisma, which, I guess if you're the sort who regards the term "banter" as an unquestionably good thing, has carved him a reputation as one of Football's Funniest Men. Each to their own I suppose.

Given that the circumstances of his leaving the Albion have never been publicised, I'd say none of us are in a position to judge as to whether he warranted a testimonial or not, or whether he was hard done by. But if he has been taken off that wall, so be it. It won't particularly bother me, (frankly, I think they should probably take Paul Rogers off it too as he's even less of a candidate).

I'm sure Oatway is probably a good guy, utterly hysterical if you like his sort of humour, and an honest sort. But legend? No. Not for my money. You don't get to be a legend simply by doing a few hilarious impressions on end of season DVDs. Reasonable player. Funny guy (so we're told). Cult hero? That's probably more like it.
Edna....I agree with you.....for once...but what you have written is spot on....:clap2::clap2::drink::drink::bowdown::bowdown:

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I was under the impression that 'Charlie was going to split the testimonial money with the 'CARE IN THE COMMUNITY'

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Charlie is in my eyes an Albion Legend, and always will be, so can someone please explain why his banner has been removed from outside the West Stand? Charlie was never sacked, has never spoken about what happened, never bad mouthed the club and in his time at the club was a loyal servant, not only as a player but also as a coach and advocate for AITC.

I walked past this banner at a recent game and the top half had become detached and was hanging down so obviously it had been removed because it had been damaged by the wind.

(btw - not a legend imo unless all you need to be a legend is a lack of ability and just to continually run into people and fall over, even i could have done that given the chance but then it's not a legends wall)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
From where I'm sitting, he was a fairly average but very hard working player, whose status within the club is elevated by having been part of the first successful side we'd had after many years of being in the doldrums. His role in that side was no more or less important than guys like Richard Carpenter or Paul Watson. I suspect the perception of him amongst some is more down to his personality/charisma, which, I guess if you're the sort who regards the term "banter" as an unquestionably good thing, has carved him a reputation as one of Football's Funniest Men. Each to their own I suppose.

Given that the circumstances of his leaving the Albion have never been publicised, I'd say none of us are in a position to judge as to whether he warranted a testimonial or not, or whether he was hard done by. But if he has been taken off that wall, so be it. It won't particularly bother me, (frankly, I think they should probably take Paul Rogers off it too as he's even less of a candidate).

I'm sure Oatway is probably a good guy, utterly hysterical if you like his sort of humour, and an honest sort. But legend? No. Not for my money. You don't get to be a legend simply by doing a few hilarious impressions on end of season DVDs. Reasonable player. Funny guy (so we're told). Cult hero? That's probably more like it.

All of this.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
So, just to clarify as your post wasn't clear, do you enjoy Oatway's humour or not? ;)

Oh I love it. That textbook footballer stuff- like cutting the sleeves off a team-mate's brand new designer suit, putting Deep Heat in their pants, making them train in a PINK t-shirt because they've been the laziest all week- I've tears in my eyes just thinking about it. His erstwhile programme column would have made Private Eye jealous.

And let us never forget the hilarious nicknames he gave to his colleagues. Why, one matchday programme revealed that he perceptively spotted that Tomasz Kuszczak has an unusually large head, and as a result came up with the brilliant nickname of- please, hold on to your sides here, folks- MICROWAVE HEAD! Because, his head's the same size and shape as a MICROWAVE, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

It's the stuff comedy dreams are made of.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I fully agree with this apart from the bit about Paul Rogers. There aren't many men who have captained the Albion to any sort of honour, but the fact he lifted our first trophy in 36 years makes him worthy of recognition. Far, far more than the likes of Oatway, in my opinion.

Never really rated Rogers as a player at all, but I take your point re the captaincy.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
He did his bit for the club, so hats off to him for that. But to imagine he is "A Legend" really isn't fair to those that were. Bit like throwing knighthoods around politically or undeservedly .... the real heroes sadly become nonentities.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
He was not a favourite as a player, and he would be my nightmare to go out with socially (which will not upset him), and I do wonder at his coaching credentials. But there are people that bring something undefinable to a group, an expectation, a team spirit, a bonding that makes players feel more part of it, and so give more to the group. And I always assume that is what CO provides.

That and his commitment to the AITC mean that I am more than happy to have his image up there. Same for Paul Rogers. A captain who lifted two Championships for our club.

But Guy Butters ? Really ?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
He was not a favourite as a player, and he would be my nightmare to go out with socially (which will not upset him), and I do wonder at his coaching credentials. But there are people that bring something undefinable to a group, an expectation, a team spirit, a bonding that makes players feel more part of it, and so give more to the group. And I always assume that is what CO provides.

That and his commitment to the AITC mean that I am more than happy to have his image up there. Same for Paul Rogers. A captain who lifted two Championships for our club.

Agreed - Oatway was never my kind of guy personality wise, but I fully recognise that he was a lynchpin in terms of building the solidity, team spirit and 'us v them' mentality that turned us from a decent bunch of players into a double championship winning team.

So I'd say he's worthy of a place.

Is it just Chippy, Cullip & BZ that are up there from 00-02? Or does Watson have one too? I can't remember. But if he's not then he should be.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I agree ... and l disagree. I think the term 'legend', is applied far too easily. The only true Albion legends l could count on the fingers of one hand.

Yes Charlie was great servant to the club over many years, seems like l nice guy, no doubt was a useful link between the management and the dressing room in the latter years, but was, in my opinion at least no more than average in his playing days. As much as l like him. I would paint Calde pretty much with the same brush, great club servant, popular with players and fans alike, a great trier on the football pitch, but only just above average in terms of ability. Again, certainly not a legend.

Not trolling but I agree with support for Oaters, saw him play at Brentford before Albion, a hard nut though. Shortly before Sladey went, Albion fielded a side in a Seaford friendly to open their stand. Oaters, and Chippy played. A young kid up front for Seaford tried to mug Oaters a bit and he just hacked him down with a "don't try that on me sonny" expression. No-one looked happy with Sladey on the pitch and he didn't appear the second half, and was gone a few days later.

I think Calderon is a cult player, saw him sent off at Griffin Park shortly after he arrived at Albion. The guy will give his all for you. But then he's Basque, not Catalan.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Pretty amazing, given the propensity of people to blab to the press/ vent on social media/ get pissed and talk indiscreetly to fans or friends etc, that the full story of what happened to lead to the dismissals is not yet common knowledge.

I always thought it would eventually become clear.

Now I'm not so sure.

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
According to Tony Bloom at the Seagulls Over Burwash meeting a few months ago the club and Charlie have a confidentiality agreement in place. Take from that what you will, I've got my own thoughts.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here