Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Legend that is and always will be, CHARLIE OATWAY.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
And with that his image is forever sullied is it? No knowledge of what he was even accused of, not absolved, but not found "guilty" of anything either.

I know of NOTHING Charlie has done wrong, so my opinion of him hasn't changed. The club don't come out of it well, and I know of no reason to treat a long-term servant of the club in this way.

What planet are you on. If he was wronged, why isn't he suing the club? Perhaps you should open your eyes more. You don't have to know what went on to know that something went on of which both parties are keen on keeping under wraps. You can stick your fingers in your ears, shut your eyes and shout ding a ling a ling for as long as you like but that won't change the fact that something happened.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What planet are you on. If he was wronged, why isn't he suing the club? Perhaps you should open your eyes more. You don't have to know what went on to know that something went on of which both parties are keen on keeping under wraps. You can stick your fingers in your ears, shut your eyes and shout ding a ling a ling for as long as you like but that won't change the fact that something happened.

Tanno was cleared but took a settlement. Tanno didn't sue the club for being suspended. All we know is that Oatway took a settlement.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Tanno was cleared but took a settlement. Tanno didn't sue the club for being suspended. All we know is that Oatway took a settlement.

Isn't that my point. Tanno was cleared but both Oatway and Poyet weren't. Oatway took a settlement (but as I said, if he was wronged he could have sued) and Poyet threatened to sue but never went through with it. Read into that what you want. Those in the Poyet camp will say he moved on and got another job, those on the other side of the fence will suggest there is no smoke without fire!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Legend for me, as he was the embodiment of the first Adams-era which changed the direction of this club massively. Although we baulk at criticising Bloom for obvious reasons, I really didn't think Oatway deserved the treatment he got last summer.

Gus has shown him far more loyalty than we have, in taking him with him to Sunderland, when let's face it, his value to Gus was about his connection to Brighton. Taking him to Sunderland was a very decent gesture, and showed class towards him that the club didn't.

I will now prepare for the inevitable pelters.

I think it shows you how much Poyet likes a yes man but I can see your perspective.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
The word Legend gets thrown around a heck of a lot on here.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Legend for me, as he was the embodiment of the first Adams-era which changed the direction of this club massively. Although we baulk at criticising Bloom for obvious reasons, I really didn't think Oatway deserved the treatment he got last summer.

Gus has shown him far more loyalty than we have, in taking him with him to Sunderland, when let's face it, his value to Gus was about his connection to Brighton. Taking him to Sunderland was a very decent gesture, and showed class towards him that the club didn't.

I will now prepare for the inevitable pelters.

I hire my HELMET out for times like these punish:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

See, we all have opinions when we don't know the facts. There could be all sorts of reasons why he doesn't want to take up a case.

The payout of any claim is linked to loss of earnings suffered as a result of a wrongful dismissal (if you can prove that), and seeing as he wasn't out of work for very long, then the potential upside of a payout will not be very high, and would certainly out-weight the costs and stress of taking up the case.

There is no "defamation" case open to him, because nothing has been said. It's very hard to make such a case stick on the basis of "look at what people on NSC think of me now!"

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So will Charlie ever get a testomonial? It says in DK's book that 50% of proceeds will go to ATIC. Apologies if this has already been discussed at length before

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So will Charlie ever get a testomonial? It says in DK's book that 50% of proceeds will go to ATIC. Apologies if this has already been discussed at length before

He got part of one (lunch & quiz) , but the rest was then abandoned.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
See, we all have opinions when we don't know the facts. There could be all sorts of reasons why he doesn't want to take up a case.

The payout of any claim is linked to loss of earnings suffered as a result of a wrongful dismissal (if you can prove that), and seeing as he wasn't out of work for very long, then the potential upside of a payout will not be very high, and would certainly out-weight the costs and stress of taking up the case.

There is no "defamation" case open to him, because nothing has been said. It's very hard to make such a case stick on the basis of "look at what people on NSC think of me now!"

Surely defamation is irrespective of whether it is in the wider public domain. If employees of the club have claimed things against him that aren't true then he has been defamed. Plus the fact that the wider perceptions could be that his character has been defamed by unpublished facts purely on the basis that the perception of the public and those within his industry that might employ him will question what actually happened. He has been lucky in that Poyet took him to Sunderland but in the absence of that, he might have struggled to get a job elsewhere in the professional game.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Surely defamation is irrespective of whether it is in the wider public domain. If employees of the club have claimed things against him that aren't true then he has been defamed. Plus the fact that the wider perceptions could be that his character has been defamed by unpublished facts purely on the basis that the perception of the public and those within his industry that might employ him will question what actually happened. He has been lucky in that Poyet took him to Sunderland but in the absence of that, he might have struggled to get a job elsewhere in the professional game.

Coaches with UEFA A & B coaching qualifications aren't 'lucky'.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Isn't it a wall of iconic moments? Like Kerry Mayo and Guy Butters kicking a ball

A wall of iconic moments.

Doesn't have quite the same ring as Legends Wall.

Anyhow, as has been discussed, I'm buggered if I can make out some of the iconic moments.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

was probably part of the settlement. Wonder if he donated any of it to AITC

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here