Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The last time we were in the top flight. Memories. 1982.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I know the 1982/3 season was poor in the league but to pretend we weren't in the top flight is a rewriting of history of North Korean proportions

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Sorry 31 years of hurt, my bad. I know you are all total perfectionists and never make a slight error or have the audacity to have a change of opinion with events. Polish your Halo's.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
I refuse to admit any connection whatsoever with ABC or Duran Duran etc. :)

Loved (almost) every minute of being in the First Division.

Football has changed soooooooo much since then, it will be amazing to be in the Premiership.

We will be there, if not this time (and I think we might well do it) then next season as Champions.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I refuse to admit any connection whatsoever with ABC or Duran Duran etc. :)

Loved (almost) every minute of being in the First Division.

Football has changed soooooooo much since then, it will be amazing to be in the Premiership.

We will be there, if not this time (and I think we might well do it) then next season as Champions.

I loved it and the music was way better than it is now and remain happy to have a connection (Spandau Ballet, Wham)! :smile:

When you look back we did ok. When Melia took over in year 4 the writing was on the wall, but other than that, Mullery in the first two years did brilliantly well in keeping us up, the football was action packed, year 3 when Mike Bailey came was a bit boring, but we achieved our highest position, so should we complain?

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
I am now very confident we will be playing with the Big Boys next season. 32 years of hurt is about to end. I just feel it. The last time we were in the top league I barely needed a shaver, was going to the Pink Coconut and dancing to ABC's the Look of Love. BRING IT ON !
Who was there the last time ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg6J5VT5VRM
I'm pretty sure it was still Sherrys back in 82. It changed into the dreadful(IMO) Pink Coconut late 80s. I may be wrong but I feel sherrys was still open in 82.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I have work today and won't return home till 10pm tonight, but I fully expect this to be at 10+ pages a total binfest, 1 ban and 2 infractions and a likely flounce!

Many packets of crisps and popcorn will be eaten and a few tubes of Pringles................

Enjoy your Bank Holiday folks :)

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
WHEN we go up I hope I enjoy it more than I did for most of the time we were in the top division last time. We had a few standout results but for the most part we were quite dull to watch and were normally beaten. Getting there was much more enjoyable than being there for me :shrug:

Those of you who find Oscar's team boring should have seen a few of the games under Bailey...

I did, every home game :yawn:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have work today and won't return home till 10pm tonight, but I fully expect this to be at 10+ pages a total binfest, 1 ban and 2 infractions and a likely flounce!

Many packets of crisps and popcorn will be eaten and a few tubes of Pringles................

Enjoy your Bank Holiday folks :)

Nah, I am off out to enjoy the sun. I hardly ever post on here anymore as I dare not have an opinion or heaven forbid a change of mind. Too many thought Police, Grammar Police, History Police and perfect people, people out to make petty points for whatever reason. Life is too short for all this b locks. Have a nice day.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
and ? If you read my comments you would see I said yesterday changed my perception of him, also not very good form to post comments made on fb between friends on other forums imo. Just my opinion.

GG, its the World Wide Web, people do quote things from many sources, they always have and always will, and this has been done on NSC for many moons and will never change.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
and ? If you read my comments you would see I said yesterday changed my perception of him, also not very good form to post comments made on fb between friends on other forums imo. Just my opinion.

You need to join the NSC Inner Sanctum ........... it would seem as part of the membership t's & c's you get carte blanche to post condescending and pompous comments about anything and anyone ........

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
You need to join the NSC Inner Sanctum ........... it would seem as part of the membership t's & c's you get carte blanche to post condescending and pompous comments about anything and anyone ........

quite.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
GG, its the World Wide Web, people do quote things from many sources, they always have and always will, and this has been done on NSC for many moons and will never change.

fair enough, don't need the hassle tbh and that is why I am very rare contributor to this site anymore.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
Nah, I am off out to enjoy the sun. I hardly ever post on here anymore as I dare not have an opinion or heaven forbid a change of mind. Too many thought Police, Grammar Police, History Police and perfect people, people out to make petty points for whatever reason. Life is too short for all this b locks. Have a nice day.

Oh well, only 1 ban and 2 infractions to go by the looks of it :lol: ...................GG you have used NSC for long enough to know people will always pick up on past things said, speelling, Grammmeer and hesstory issues!!! everyone who uses it has an opinion which will always differ from others, nothing ever changes in that department mate, it's NSC!!

I'm working till 10 tonight, so I doubt I will have a nice day, but thanks :thumbsup:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Eh? It is not uncommon or people to go back through previous publicly made posts / threads and post quotes. That is fair game. But it is extremely uncommon for people to post the content of Private Messages or other private conversations on the Big Board. It has happened of course, but hardly ever.

Bad form, in my opinion.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I have been undecided about Garcia. He showed a different side yesterday, missing all season when he went Apeshit at the end. Warmed to me a lot. Lovely to see the passion.
I know what you mean. My views are slightly colored by the fact that every time I've seen us this season (with the possible exception of the FA Cup game against Reading) we've been shit. Millwall away was possibly, no, definitely the worst Brighton win I have ever seen, and don't get me started on the Cup replay at Hull - or the team selections.

I watched Sunderland's performance at Old Trafford with a sense of wistful nostalgia, and if I were being slightly mischievous I'd say that the good performances have been when the players have been on autopilot from the Poyet era, and the bad performances have been when they've paid more attention to Garcia and have implemented his more hoofball-esque strategy. Barcelona way my arse.

But like you it's all forgiven now! And it's only been in the bleaker moments when I've entertained thoughts like I expressed in the paragraph above.

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
WHEN we go up I hope I enjoy it more than I did for most of the time we were in the top division last time. We had a few standout results but for the most part we were quite dull to watch and were normally beaten. Getting there was much more enjoyable than being there for me :shrug:

Those of you who find Oscar's team boring should have seen a few of the games under Bailey...

We were dull under Bailey but I disagree generally as I have excellent memories:
Beating Liverpool
All the cup rounds
Beating leaders Forest twice

Just to name a few...

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Fair point perhaps on the FB thing, although it's a global forum, and anyone on here could search for you and read those posts. But I take your point.

That said, I could easily find the same on NSC if I could be bothered to look (I can't, nothing to be achieved by it). My point is that it really is all or nothing with you. There are no shades of grey. It's gone from "Garcia is useless, dispassionate and MUST go" to "We're going up, I can feel it" in the blink of an eye. Maybe that's just the way you are built, I don't know, and life would be dull if we were all the same. But when you come on here offering your opinions as unequivocal fact, and then, thanks to a split second occurrence on the field of play, change them quicker than you change your socks, (1) it tends to leave you looking a bit daft, and (2) it's not unreasonable to expect those upon whom you have previously foisted that opinion to jump on it.

Don't take it personally.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Eh? It is not uncommon or people to go back through previous publicly made posts / threads and post quotes. That is fair game. But it is extremely uncommon for people to post the content of Private Messages or other private conversations on the Big Board. It has happened of course, but hardly ever.

Bad form, in my opinion.

It wasn't a private message.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
All the moaning on here about boring football worries me. Sure, we have been boring at times - although I'd probably call it frustrating rather than boring, that toothless look up front and the inability to put the ball in the net. But - look where it's got us.

Does anybody seriously think that if we go up, we'll be going to places like Anfield and the Etihad and saying, go ahead boys - score as many as you like; we'll just score more? If we do, they'll be licking their lips and thinking double figures!

Back around February 1982, we were looking up the top division, not down it, and eyeing up the realistic possibility of sneaking into one of the European spots. OK, we faded a bit towards the end of the season and didn't get there, but it was good to be in that situation. Some poeple didn't like it though - it was boring. Eventually the clamour to sack our boring manager got louder and louder.......he got sacked and we got Melia. Fifteen months later we were out of the top flight altogether, for at least the next 31 years.

Be very careful what you wish for....................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here