Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The lamps are going out all over Europe. We shall not see them lit again in our life-time

Sompting_Seagull

Jun 8, 2011
North Stand
This was posted on YouTube showing Southwick during World War 1 - makes you wonder how many came back. Very moving

Thanks for that, growing up in southwick just off the green I was aware of its war history but that was something else, specially the cricket pitch with all those shelters on it.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
This was posted on YouTube showing Southwick during World War 1 - makes you wonder how many came back. Very moving

Wonderful music.
All brave brave men.
Often wonder if I would have the courage to do what they did.
A common occurence in photos of wartime soldiers especially during world war one is chirpy rarely sullen men showing no fear even in the midst of battle.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
i dont get it. i've read up (well the wiki page) and just dont get it. seems an odd phrase when those involved didnt expect that the war would be long let alone last a life time.

As far as I can work out, Grey was referring to the fact that the war would irrevocably change the face of Europe and the nation states (as we knew them) would cease to exist. The war may well have been short but it would have been brutal. I could be completely wrong though - there were people who disbelieved that the notion that it would be a short war; don't think Grey was one, but he could have been.

Nice gesture by Bozza tonight - pity it couldn't have been replicated by the people of Coldean - there were a lot of lights left on.

The hour without lights gave plenty of time for reflection: my family was lucky, I had two grandfathers and a great-grandfather who fought in the war - all three came back in one piece. I know there are many families on NSC who suffered loss: let's remember them all

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
Found this, what Gwylan said I think.

On the evening of 3 August 1914, the day before Britain officially declared war with Germany, the British Foreign Secretary, Sir Edward Grey, was watching the gas lamps being lit in London. He knew that war in Europe was now inevitable and he was deeply affected by the failure, including his own failure as Foreign Secretary, to stop it. Moreover, he foresaw that such a war would have terrible consequences, far beyond that of the military conflict itself. And so, as the lamps were being lit in London, he was moved to observe, by way of metaphor, that the light of Europe was being extinguished and that the coming war would caste a shadow over Europe that would not be lifted in his lifetime. He died in 1933, a time when the consequences of WW1 were leading inexorably to the the rise of the Third Reich and WW11.

Last edited:

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Thoughts of my then 15 year old uncle, Charles Etherton, killed in the Battle of Coronel November 1st 1914 whilst serving on Good Hope. His name is recorded on the Falkland Isle memorial as well as St. Luke's school memorial. Incidentally one of his younger brothers, Percy Belmont Etherton served in the navy in WW2 and was one of the 6 survivors when HMS Daring was sunk.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I find this commemoration thoroughly depressing considering 100 yeas later our civilisation is still blowing each other to smithereens and widespread wars are still being fuelled to making many rich. In fact have we ever been closer to ww3? We really are a vermin of this planet and will never really progress.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here