Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The lamps are going out all over Europe. We shall not see them lit again in our life-time

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
A most sobering thread demonstrating the selfless commitment of soldiers past, giving a feeling of immense frustration and anger as to 'why' but also great sense of unity and pride.

God bless them one and all.

Lest we forget.

mwQVTCI.jpg

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
yes please merge the threads ... came out with a meaningless comment ... sorry
my family and my wifes family have stories to tell
different sides then

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
My great grandfather - Alfred Easterbrook. Regimental Sargeant Major - Royal Engineers. Was raised in a military orphanage in South Wales. Decorated WW1 and died in 1923 from the after effects of gas. I have his picture and his silver tipped "swagger stick" - all that was left after his wife (my great grandmother) had to flog his medals to feed the family. My grandfather upon coming home to see his fathers medals and his only suit sold for bread, left home at age 19 and never returned. Hopefully we shall never imagine or know their sacrifices in our lifetimes but perhaps they thought that too in late 1918. RIP Alfred.

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
Oh and one more thing, buried in Llantrissant, South Wales.

matey

Mar 16, 2014
Can I just mention my Grandad, William "Will" Joseph Plumridge and his brother Edward "Ted" Plumridge who both joined the 1/8 Hampshire Regiment (Isle of Wight Rifles). They both fought in Gallipoli when Ted was wounded. After recovery Ted was promoted to Lance Corporal and both went and fought in Gaza where Ted was killed and fell in front of his brother Will on 19th April 1917. RIP

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
My dads dad Fred Simmonds lost all his hair in a mustard gas attack in France.
Came home and became a master butcher for the rest of his days in London Road next to the old Co op :thumbsup:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Despite my derision on another thread, rather nice touch here in Hampton. All lights turned off and a single lazer beam from Hampton Court Palace projected intothe night sky . Really rather poignant.

My Grandad and his dad both served in the Great War, both had lucky escapes and lived to respectable ages. Grandad took a bullet in the shoulder and always maintained that it was a British bullet, also that he won a VC but nobody saw him do it.

Could have easily turned out differently in which case I wouldn't be making this post.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
‘On our side nothing, absolutely nothing was done to preserve peace, and when we at last decided to do what I had advocated from the first (promote peace), it was too late’ - Prince Karl Max Lichnowsky (German ambassador to the UK in 1914).

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm so glad to see the reflective nature of this coverage and the focus on the losses on all sides. Ultimately, there are no winners or losers, just changing political boundaries, all are punished.

The sadness for me is how those who didn't return could not live too see their greatest legacy which far outstrips any victory. This was the changing cultural boundaries that mobilised the working classes in this country and began the long re-balancing of the distribution of wealth.

This is no distant war, it is as important to us today, perhaps more so, when we consider the rights and freedoms we have.

Those people who gave their lives did not simply commit a selfless act for a noble cause, they gave future generations the confidence of self determination.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i dont get it. i've read up (well the wiki page) and just dont get it. seems an odd phrase when those involved didnt expect that the war would be long let alone last a life time.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I have spent the evening on BBC2. Never felt so sad or so proud. Bloody war! When will we ever learn?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Nice touch by the MODs tonight, well done all. I took the dog round the block for usual just before bedtime walk and was touched to see several houses had candles glowing in their front windows :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here