Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Keeper Dilemma

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
For me you only swap keepers for cups if the man on the bench hasn’t played many games. Sanchez has played most the season so leave Steele in goal. He has three clean sheets in his last four games so no need to change.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Sanchez is almost a certain starter Sunday and we should feel blessed that a keeper of his quality is the back up who gets his game time in the cup. RS has been fine most of the season and if anything the biggest criticism from me is he's too laid back which a bit of healthy competition will address. In fact if Sanchez doesn't start Sunday his time is almost certainly over with us as will pretty much be a signal that RDZ isnt going to give him an opportunity to win back the sh.
Sanchez's time with us is almost certainly over if he doesn't start on Sunday? oh come on! it will only be the third game he has missed!

Just because the manager has preferred Steele for that past couple of games doesn't mean that he doesn't rate Sanchez!

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
It was 4-1 (to FGR), regrettably. Our goal a pen that Sanchez had no chance of getting to in fairness. It sticks in my mind how cool he looked for a kid making his professional debut - not surprised he’s gone on to play in the Prem (although slightly surprised that he finds himself behind Jason Steele currently).
yes that was the one.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
We've had a cup keeper for the last few years, why would it be any different for this game?

Steele has the gloves in the PL at the moment, so Sanchez will start vs Grimsby. It won't mean that Steele has lost his place in the league.

I think Sanchez could justifiably be pissed off if he doesn't play.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I think that flap at Palace really did cost Sanchez his place embarrassing for a PL keeper. Sanchez had stopped bailing us out in big moments IMO and deserved to be dropped.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
It’s an FA Cup Quarter Final, with a 2 week break afterwards.

Play your strongest team, and that of course includes your current strongest keeper, Steele.

This isn’t the second round of the currently semi-popular overseas energy sports drink irrelevant cup.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yes Steele’s progress has been incredible. From 3rd choice behind Button and a laughing stock at Sunderland, he’s looked terrific.

I’ve been telling anyone who cares to listen that we’re going in big for a new no 1 this summer. After last night, I’m not so sure.

There are still doubts. He looks a bit lobbable to me. But he’s answering questions as they are coming up. He’s indisputable no 1 now. He’s seen off Sanchez, for good in my opinion. His next job is to persuade RDZ than Tony can keep his wallet in his pocket as far as keepers are concerned this summer.
Don't know who will be starting Sunday but I disagree. Steele is 32 years old, currently at his absolute prime and that prime is far better than I (and I suspect thousands of people who have seen him play) ever thought he was capable of over the last 10 years. He has been absolutely excellent in the 3 games and cup matches this season and thoroughly deserves his current run as No 1.

Sanchez is 7 years younger and made the cock up v Palace and maybe hasn't been at his best for a few weeks now. I still think that Jason is keeping the gloves warm and Bob will play at higher levels than Jason. And I agree Tone should keep his wallet in his pocket when it comes to keepers though as I believe we have 2 that can play at this level.

All down to opinions, but if you're in the North Stand Concourse from time to time, I'll put a pint on it :wink:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Ha. I don't think it will ever be comfortable for any of us. Your brain might tell you that it will be profitable and over the course of a season it will, but it feels like watching your kids trying to cross the A27.
I honestly cannot understand how anybody still feels like this. It’s so blindingly obvious what we’re trying to do, and that it works incredibly well. I keep hearing ‘one of these days we’ll give away a goal doing that’. FFS. Of course we will. Even if we give away ten goals doing it, it’s still the way we play and how we score so many of our goals.

I don’t understand why whacking a clearance up the pitch that gets headed back and starts an opposition attack that results in us conceding a goal would be any better. And that scenario is far, far more likely than us gifting the opposition a goal with the current way we play out from the back.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I honestly cannot understand how anybody still feels like this. It’s so blindingly obvious what we’re trying to do, and that it works incredibly well. I keep hearing ‘one of these days we’ll give away a goal doing that’. FFS. Of course we will. Even if we give away ten goals doing it, it’s still the way we play and how we score so many of our goals.

I don’t understand why whacking a clearance up the pitch that gets headed back and starts an opposition attack that results in us conceding a goal would be any better. And that scenario is far, far more likely than us gifting the opposition a goal with the current way we play out from the back.
Reading and comprehension not your strong point? Check the bit where I said it's profitable over the season. It doesn't make watching it entirely stress free, is the blindingly obvious point i'm making.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It can be uncomfortable watching at times, but as yet we've not conceded from it. If we suddenly start leaking goals, and teams work out how to consistently negate it then I can't see us changing(for now)
They would have to press at speed and in numbers to negate it really - which is precisely what we want them to do, creating spaces in the middle where we would then ping it through. We will concede from lousing it up at some point soon I expect but it’s all part of the risk/reward thing.

Don’t mind who plays in goal Sunday, we’re currently a bit blessed in the keeper department.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
It’s an FA Cup Quarter Final, with a 2 week break afterwards.

Play your strongest team, and that of course includes your current strongest keeper, Steele.

This isn’t the second round of the currently semi-popular overseas energy sports drink irrelevant cup.
It is against a League 2 side though. If Sanchez was starting in the league then Steele would definitely start on Sunday.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Steele deserves his run of games,as far as I'm aware he's performed very well and certainly looks better commanding the box with high balls played into the area,teams were actually starting to target Sanchez with lofted crosses into the area and he was found out on more than one horrifying occasion, absolutely no need to rotate Steele out of goal at this point. Especially in a game of such importance as the Grimsby game
Fundamentally disagree with this. We've got very little evidence of Steele on crosses. We've got an abundance of evidence on Sanchez. He's made one glaring error since he came in, what, three years ago. He's also got some of the best stats on commanding the box aerially of all keepers in the PL.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Fundamentally disagree with this. We've got very little evidence of Steele on crosses. We've got an abundance of evidence on Sanchez. He's made one glaring error since he came in, what, three years ago. He's also got some of the best stats on commanding the box aerially of all keepers in the PL.
I'm not aware of the stats but been surprised to read people on here question him coming for crosses. Yes it was a massive clanger but I've always felt pretty confident in his ability to claim balls.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I have no complaints about Jason Steele in goal. He has performed well for the lqast couple of seasons and deservces his chance. I am suprised that some people seem prepared to write Sanchez off, so quickly. Maybe a little complacency set in with him, which RDZ has seen and not liked, but I also think the World Cup mid season has and will impact the form of many who were involved.

I really hope that Sanchez bounces back strongly and get to show everyone what a great keeper he is again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here