Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The "JCL" attitude

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The question is, If Brighton are playing your other team in a game, who do you support?

If you answer the other team you aren't an Albion fan, if you answer a draw would be a good result you aren't an Albion fan.

There's only proper one answer to such a question.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
In order to sustain an average gate of any size there has to be a fan base-

5,000 to 7,000 regulars at Withdean? well the club some while back had nearing/just over 20,000 registered members well before construction of Falmer & any talk of JCL's.

I went to virtually every game at the Goldstone 1988 to 1997 and did some at Gillingham-due to working commitments was less so at Withdean and have only seen the Leyton Orient & Colchester home games this season.

I am new to the board-NSC but have registered a long time ago 2004 but did not use the account.

But i follow on radio and internet,Argus etc - attend once in a while- and will not be getting a ST this season due to working most saturday's.

My brother is going with mates this season who have not been since the Goldstone days.

Yes i get the JCL argument and there will be a percentage who have never seen us play but an awful lot of people i know who are going have waited are in fact Albions sleeping support who have always been fans.

In 2001 - 2002 & 2004 if we had a ground large enough we would have got the crowds

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The question is, If Brighton are playing your other team in a game, who do you support?

If you answer the other team you aren't an Albion fan, if you answer a draw would be a good result you aren't an Albion fan.

There's only proper one answer to such a question.

I have no other-but some of the longest season ticket holders at Withdean have ANOTHER TEAM-

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
most of the brighton fans i know have two teams some their second and some their first, i don't see the problem really. it is up to the individual

matt

Mar 19, 2007
10 ,000 people checking other results and not getting behind the club there ment to be watching?

If they pay their money they can do whatever they like, what gives you the right to decide what they are *meant* to do?
Maybe they should restrict access to only people who had season tickets during the Gillingham years, you know "real" fans, and have 18,000 empty seats?

It's called progress - if you don't like the fact that a new stadium, an exciting team and an upturn in media coverage is going to generate more interest then tough shit, get over yourself. No doubt at some point in the not too distant future the stadium will collect a few cobwebs, Gus will be long gone, Bloom will piss all his chips chasing a royal flush, and we'll be shit again. Then you can have a row of seats to yourself without any jcl to spoil your enjoyment. In the meantime you may have to put up with a new stadium, successful team and a capacity crowd. FFS.

Oct 6, 2010
Not really there is a concern about the club losing its identity - already this season I have seen "fans" arrive wearing an MUFC shirt also others with MUFC rucksacks.

We are Brighton and no-one else and if some idiot is near me at the Amex harping on about whther either Chelsea or Man Utd are winning will get a slap - repeatedly.

Who really cares what shirt or rucksack people are wearing?? Get over yourself
If you're at the game, and supporting the Albion you're ok by me. (even if you're checking your phone for other results....briefly)

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
In order to sustain an average gate of any size there has to be a fan base-

5,000 to 7,000 regulars at Withdean? well the club some while back had nearing/just over 20,000 registered members well before construction of Falmer & any talk of JCL's.

I went to virtually every game at the Goldstone 1988 to 1997 and did some at Gillingham-due to working commitments was less so at Withdean and have only seen the Leyton Orient & Colchester home games this season.

I am new to the board-NSC but have registered a long time ago 2004 but did not use the account.

But i follow on radio and internet,Argus etc - attend once in a while- and will not be getting a ST this season due to working most saturday's.

My brother is going with mates this season who have not been since the Goldstone days.

Yes i get the JCL argument and there will be a percentage who have never seen us play but an awful lot of people i know who are going have waited are in fact Albions sleeping support who have always been fans.

In 2001 - 2002 & 2004 if we had a ground large enough we would have got the crowds

I think this is the key point people seem to think the additional 10k ST's have been purchased by sussex based man utd fans when in reality they are likely to be casual withdean attendees or fans who have followed the team and want to be part of the Amex experience.

I dread coming on here next season when the uber fans are out in force

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
I have no problems with JCL until they wear another teams shirt at our game. They can f*** righ off if they do that.

Oh and the Arsenal fan who tried telling me that I was an idiot for thinking Bridcutt was our best player. I mean he KNEW he wasn't and after all he'd seen us play twice this season...

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
we need all the support we can get and to be honest we ain't done bad for our 1st season with 15 years of a lost generation of support-
There will always be followers of other clubs down here especially London teams Falmer will not change that but it does show and we all must remember that it is down to this reason alone(with a very large thank you to Tony Bloom and Dick Knight) that it has been us all in every way shape and form-the fans that have kept us going all these years.

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
I only just signed up on here recently and would like to raise a point about this term "JCL". All the people who use this term in a derogatory way, do you not want your club to grow. Do you think all the 18,000 season tickets that plough money into the club were all bought by hardened Albion veterans?

I support Man utd but obviously living in Sussex, it is difficult to see more than a couple of games a season and being 18 means money is a major factor too. But I do watch a lot of Brighton games at the Withdean.

Me and my Dad have bought season tickets for the new stadium and will go along to support Brighton and sing our hearts out every game, but why do some people have a problem with this? Would you rather go into the Amex and only have 7000 crowds or would you rather grow and attract more fans and therefore generate more money?

Rant over

I too have only recently joined this forum,but i have been an Albion fan from the age of 11 i saw my 1st game at the goldstone in 1980 and go regularly to the withdean ,as a local having lived in the area all my life i cannot comprehend the idea of supporting a club from a town 300 miles away,i have never met a northerner stupid enough to support a southern team,but here in Sussex we probably have more Liverpool and Man U followers than Brighton fans, your not football fans your glory hunters, i guarantee you do not renew your ticket ,if god forbid we come straight back down with a bang, now f*** off and let an Albion fan have your seat and take your f***ing dad with you.

bazbha

Mar 18, 2011
Hailsham
Not really there is a concern about the club losing its identity - already this season I have seen "fans" arrive wearing an MUFC shirt also others with MUFC rucksacks.

We are Brighton and no-one else and if some idiot is near me at the Amex harping on about whther either Chelsea or Man Utd are winning will get a slap - repeatedly.

This is the mentality that has already got me wondering if I've made a mistake buying a season ticket. I'm born & bred in Sussex & watched Brighton regularly until I joined the Army. I did my 22 years & moved back to Sussex last September. I doubt I would have bought a season ticket if it wasn't for the "shiny new stadium" as I've been to the Withdean & didn't find it an enjoyable experience (terrible view, no atmosphere). I'll be in the WSU & I will peek at my phone during a lull in the match to check on other scores as I love football & have an interest in other big matches. Not sure if this will get me slapped repeatedly & I really hope that the people I end up sat with next season don't have the same superior "us & them" attitude to people they perceive as JCL's. As I see it there will be about 14,000 JCL's based upon the average crowd at Withdean until this season. Going to be a lot of people to slap!!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I was branded with the JCL tag when I thought
I was asking a reasonable question, I've supported
the club since 1970, they are just idiots with a small
club mentality.

Ah, you need a far higher post count to decide what is or isn't a reasonable question. Bloody JCL's just don't understand the rules of NSC!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
It's all fun and banter on here-you have well respected long term posters wums jcls and newbie(that's me) some take it to extreme but as my signature states,as in life as well....

"for some it's a dream,others a game but when all is said and done the objective remains the same"

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
As much I don't want it to, it does offend me when people wear different club shirts to Albion games. However, we are all aware there are a lot of fans in the area who will be at the Amex this season who don't count Albion as their 'first team', I guess the hope would be continued success for our beloved team and that the fans of these other teams have there heads turned, ditch their other shirts and don the stripes, renew their s/t's forget about any other teams !?

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
As much I don't want it to, it does offend me when people wear different club shirts to Albion games. However, we are all aware there are a lot of fans in the area who will be at the Amex this season who don't count Albion as their 'first team', I guess the hope would be continued success for our beloved team and that the fans of these other teams have there heads turned, ditch their other shirts and don the stripes, renew their s/t's forget about any other teams !?

This. I'm positive that once all these fans with second teams go to the Amex and watch more and more Brighton games, they will start to sway towards us as their number one team and become Brighton fans who follow Man United, not the other way round.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
This. I'm positive that once all these fans with second teams go to the Amex and watch more and more Brighton games, they will start to sway towards us as their number one team and become Brighton fans who follow Man United, not the other way round.

exactly, as soon as they feel part of it, they will begin the process of forgetting about their other team.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
If someone supposedly supports an EPL team and the Albion but only owns a top of the EPL team then they are shits.

Who benefits more from a fan buying a club jersey, the massive EPL club or the smaller local side that relies on local sales rather than the millions of O/S opportunities to make money from kits?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I guess the hope would be continued success for our beloved team and that the fans of these other teams have there heads turned,

Bang on-a prolonged spell at Championship level with the odd flirtation with the Premiership will do wonders

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here