Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The "JCL" attitude

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I fear it's gonna get worse next season with loads of threads about the people sitting around the uberfans not knowing much about the Albion or the players. Derogatory comments about JCLs and Plastics is gonna become an issue next season...unfortunately.
There is another side to that though. We're going to have all the eighteen year old Manchester Utd fans saying "Yeah I used to sneer at the weird kids at school who only supported Brighton but I've been to the odd Brighton game (checking the Man U score all the time obviously) and now I'm an STH at the Amex I'm just as much a Brighton fan as someone who's been going since 1947." On one level that's true obviously (and I'm not one who wanted/wants to see just the 5000 Withdean diehards at Falmex) - but what else can we call these people except JCLs? It's a convenient shorthand for new fans, it's not a derogatory term, it just signifies that they've come to the party late. And I could be doing them a disservice, but WHEN we struggle again (which we will as football for clubs like us is always cyclical) are they going to abandon the ship as quickly as they jumped on it?

"Where were you when we were shit?" (And when we needed you).

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
To be fair, I think the term JCL is used tongue-in-cheek 99% of the time. Anyone who wears another sides shirt in the home end or spends the whole match talking about their premiership side will thoroughly deserve a slap, though.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
There is another side to that though. We're going to have all the eighteen year old Manchester Utd fans saying "Yeah I used to sneer at the weird kids at school who only supported Brighton but I've been to the odd Brighton game (checking the Man U score all the time obviously) and now I'm an STH at the Amex I'm just as much a Brighton fan as someone who's been going since 1947." On one level that's true obviously (and I'm not one who wanted/wants to see just the 5000 Withdean diehards at Falmex) - but what else can we call these people except JCLs? It's a convenient shorthand for new fans, it's not a derogatory term, it just signifies that they've come to the party late. And I could be doing them a disservice, but WHEN we struggle again (which we will as football for clubs like us is always cyclical) are they going to abandon the ship as quickly as they jumped on it?

You are spot on here i think. and 'JCL's' is as good a description as any. BUT it has been used by some on here as a derogatory term and some are clearly not happy that the club is attracting so many new supporters.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I only just signed up on here recently and would like to raise a point about this term "JCL". All the people who use this term in a derogatory way, do you not want your club to grow. Do you think all the 18,000 season tickets that plough money into the club were all bought by hardened Albion veterans?

I support Man utd but obviously living in Sussex, it is difficult to see more than a couple of games a season and being 18 means money is a major factor too. But I do watch a lot of Brighton games at the Withdean.

Me and my Dad have bought season tickets for the new stadium and will go along to support Brighton and sing our hearts out every game, but why do some people have a problem with this? Would you rather go into the Amex and only have 7000 crowds or would you rather grow and attract more fans and therefore generate more money?

Rant over

Another JCL :facepalm:

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Im new here as well but its just lucky timing that the year I turned 18 is the year we are going up and have a new stadium. I've been planning to come to England and watch a full Brighton season since I was about 14 :)

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
To be fair, I think the term JCL is used tongue-in-cheek 99% of the time. Anyone who wears another sides shirt in the home end or spends the whole match talking about their premiership side will thoroughly deserve a slap, though.

This.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
JCLs ? - Welcome One, Welcome All.

Just don't wear the Man U shirt to any home games, or you will get major grief.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A perfectly acceptable post, except for:-

I support Man utd

I just genuinely don't get it.

If you 'support' Man Utd then that's what you do, your local team is irrelevant.
If you did actually see them 'a couple of times a season', surely that would make you keener to go, not less likely, as you are now commited to another.

My family are Arsenal, my 1st games were Highbury, I support my local team, through thin and thinner, I'll look for Arsenal first, but would never ever go to Arsenal over an Albion game.

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
The JCL term seems to be only used on here and people who post about 15 times per day. I know many albion fans that that been supporting the club for thirty years plus and welcome anyone now following the club and getting bums on seats.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham

It is used as a derogatory term by some on here though,Lets face it, the lad is 18,we all had to start somewhere. I've been watching Albion for 54 years but that does not make me more of a die hard fan than anyone else. Do suggest he ditches the Man U bit though...you cannot support more than one team...you support one and follow another (by TV) . welcome aboard mate.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You are spot on here i think. and 'JCL's' is as good a description as any. BUT it has been used by some on here as a derogatory term and some are clearly not happy that the club is attracting so many new supporters.
I think as Notters says it's been used tongue in cheek, and I think saying some fans are 'clearly not happy' about newcomers is over-stating it a bit. There is definitely an element of 'wistfulness' though; ideally we'd like everybody in the home areas at the Amex to be 100% Brighton fans (new or lapsed), but that simply won't be the case. Most of us (as demonstrated by the responses on this thread) will welcome the newcomers with open arms, despite the fact we know the Albion isn't/wasn't their first alliegance. However some, the 'purists', may harrumph a bit at finding themselves sitting next to someone who last year was an STH at somewhere like Upton Park and may be heard to mutter "Damned JCLs" under their breath.

Also if we're talking about shorthand descriptions we need to differentiate between JCLs (people who live in Sussex but weren't that bothered about the Albion until we got a shiny new ground), and genuine 'New Fans' like Rad (post #25).

Oct 6, 2010
Good post from the thread starter. And needed to be said. Sometimes NSC really is in danger of disapearing up its own arse.
God help you if you are any of the following:

Not seated in WSU at Amex (if you are 1901 don't even read NSC)
Have a post count less than 4 digits
Have a second club
Don't have a season ticket
Ask the club a "stupid" question
Don't hate Southampton
Etc...etc...

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It is used as a derogatory term by some on here though,Lets face it, the lad is 18,we all had to start somewhere. I've been watching Albion for 54 years but that does not make me more of a die hard fan than anyone else. Do suggest he ditches the Man U bit though...you cannot support more than one team...you support one and follow another (by TV) . welcome aboard mate.

Can you support two teams across different codes? because i support the Albion and the Geelong AFL team.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think as Notters says it's been used tongue in cheek, and I think saying some fans are 'clearly not happy' about newcomers is over-stating it a bit. There is definitely an element of 'wistfulness' though; ideally we'd like everybody in the home areas at the Amex to be 100% Brighton fans (new or lapsed), but that simply won't be the case. Most of us (as demonstrated by the responses on this thread) will welcome the newcomers with open arms, despite the fact we know the Albion isn't/wasn't their first alliegance. However some, the 'purists', may harrumph a bit at finding themselves sitting next to someone who last year was an STH at somewhere like Upton Park and may be heard to mutter "Damned JCLs" under their breath.

Also if we're talking about shorthand descriptions we need to differentiate between JCLs (people who live in Sussex but weren't that bothered about the Albion until we got a shiny new ground), and genuine 'New Fans' like Rad (post #25).

probably is overstating it a little but it certainly comes across that way sometimes. Maybe we need a Tounge in Cheek Smiley

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
10 ,000 people checking other results and not getting behind the club there ment to be watching?

i don't understand why people would have their phones on at the football (without good reason) anyway, but i suspect that is just me.

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
Good post from the thread starter. And needed to be said. Sometimes NSC really is in danger of disapearing up its own arse.
God help you if you are any of the following:

Not seated in WSU at Amex (if you are 1901 don't even read NSC)
Have a post count less than 4 digits
Have a second club
Don't have a season ticket
Ask the club a "stupid" question
Don't hate Southampton
Etc...etc...

This is quite true.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
This is quite true.

Not really there is a concern about the club losing its identity - already this season I have seen "fans" arrive wearing an MUFC shirt also others with MUFC rucksacks.

We are Brighton and no-one else and if some idiot is near me at the Amex harping on about whther either Chelsea or Man Utd are winning will get a slap - repeatedly.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Also don't mention Manchester United.

**** of a club that's a cancer on the English game and would happily be part of anything that meant they benefited most from it even if it destroyed lots of small clubs..

this , this and a million times this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here