Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The inevitable bitter Ipswich Town fan thread

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
One dick? No wonder. Here is what Mick said

""We've had one or two players missing through illness and injury and perhaps Brighton have gone up a couple of percent because they are playing us.""

Gone up a couple of percentage points? Do **** off Mick. We are playing better because of Chris Hughton not because we are facing bloody Ipswich.

What's wrong with McCarthy saying that? It's probably true. Any team will raise their game when they're playing a club that could go top.... They know they need to. It's just natural. People get offended by some weir things. The way the Ipswich staff shook the hands of pretty much all the Albion players at the end showed they had a lot of respect for the way they'd been turned over.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
To be fair it's only one idiot, and to be honest it sounds like he has issues.

1Coming_out_of_the_closet_for_the_first_time.jpg

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What's wrong with McCarthy saying that? It's probably true. Any team will raise their game when they're playing a club that could go top.... They know they need to. It's just natural. People get offended by some weir things. The way the Ipswich staff shook the hands of pretty much all the Albion players at the end showed they had a lot of respect for the way they'd been turned over.

This. Nothing wrong with what MM said given our relative positions.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Majority of their fans were very complimentary last night,they even clapped some of a quality plays.

Indeed. Had a couple of ITFC fans sat behind me on the P&R back to the racecourse, and overheard them exchanging very positive views on Brighton. The way we played, the stadium, the atmosphere, all very positive comments they were both making.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Because their fanbase is swamped by a shower of w@nkers with a sense of entitlement and staggering hypocrisy.

"Don't be homophobic..... you're all inbred" type tweets in the wake of bannergate and their astounding arrogance. It's not bitterness it's a statement of fact. For every fooker that went to the Withdean there's a dozen London overspill Chelsea-dodging scarfer gobsh1tes pretending the world owes Brighton a living.

To be fair he has a point there.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I think I dislike the Indian cricket team and Tony Slattery more than I dislike BHAFC.

Lovely stadium btw. Still a c*nt to get away from

Frankly their forum is full of completely reasonable assertions. They need to get out less.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
We took two Ipswich fans to the game last night (though they sat in the away end) and I also know another 4 who went, Tun Wells is an Ipswich hotbed it seems, all of them were full of praise and admiration re: the ground and weren't in the slightest bit bitter about the result.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Always been fairly well disposed towards Ipswich. Decent provincial club that's played some good football over the years and over-achieved, given its resources.

I remember going to a game at Portman Road during our Gillingham exile and thinking, "if only".

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Bannergate aside, absolutely no problem with Ipswich.

They've had two of the best individual performances in the Amex era against them as well. Razzak at the aforemnentioned bannergate and Tex last night. They must think we're brilliant.

Last edited:

slartibartfast

Sep 11, 2004
Henfield
Bannergate aside, absolutely no problem with Ipswich.

They've had two of the best individual performances in the Amex era against them as well. Razzak at the aforemnentioned bannergate and Tex last night. They must think we're brilliant.

Yes - Ive always sort of liked Ipswich... that FA Cup win in 1978 when I was a teenager was fantastic, Bobby Robson, ...etc .. until the "Bannergate" incident they hadnt ever done anything to p me off at all. And chatting to a bloke on the train back to Brighton after the game, he was very level headed and balanced about the game.

All in all, you get a section of any reasonable sized club's fans who are knobheads... could you vouch for everyone in the stand you sit in at the Amex for example?

And agree - that Razak game.... he seemed like Ya Ya Toure and Patrick Viera rolled into one that day - and then did nothing else at all after.

A bit like Davie Cameron (remember him? 1999?) Lumbering scottish forward, who had one decent game for us against Lincoln City. They were so impressed with him that they snapped him up, on the basis of that one off performance....

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Can only echo what everyone else is saying, don't tar them all with the same brush because of one knob on the internet (and the bannergate kids that day!). On the whole they seem a decent lot, would rather have them at the Amex than the likes of Millwall and Pompey.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
"For every fooker that went to the Withdean there's a dozen London overspill Chelsea-dodging scarfer gobsh1tes pretending the world owes Brighton a living."

Has a point?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
"For every fooker that went to the Withdean there's a dozen London overspill Chelsea-dodging scarfer gobsh1tes pretending the world owes Brighton a living."

Has a point?
Albeit a mathematically challenged one.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Albeit a mathematically challenged one.

Yep - he's got the ratio wrong but it's true and a point I'd pick up on if I followed another side in this division.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
One dick? No wonder. Here is what Mick said

""We've had one or two players missing through illness and injury and perhaps Brighton have gone up a couple of percent because they are playing us.""

Gone up a couple of percentage points? Do **** off Mick. We are playing better because of Chris Hughton not because we are facing bloody Ipswich.

To be fair, if you read a fuller account of what MM said, he is far more complimentary about us than that implies. He rates Chris Hughton and said "When was Brighton ever an easy place to come to."

Dec 29, 2011
Yep - he's got the ratio wrong but it's true and a point I'd pick up on if I followed another side in this division.

1. Moving the ground from Hove to 'Falmer' has increased our immediate catchment area quite a lot. How many people from the Withdean area were the typical football fan? How many from Moulsecoomb/Bevendean/Whitehawk are more likely to attend a match of their local team if the ground is much closer to them? At the Withdean people from Moulsecoomb/Bevendean/Whitehawk probably felt 'left out' or whatnot. The Withdean area is another world from them and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't attend matches even though they wanted Brighton to do well.

2. The 'lost generation' seem to be coming back, and I think they're a lot less fickle than people think. 15 - 25 year olds want to attend matches but while we were wandering aimlessly through the lower leagues there was no appeal to come and support Brighton. Now there is something to be proud of and they've had a few seasons of matchday experiences (and possibly away games) I don't see them 'defecting' to another team.

Yes we have our fair share of plastics who only attend when we're playing well or when we're playing a top team, but show me a team that doesn't. I think some people are confusing 'plastics' with 'new fans who never previously had the opportunity or incentive to support Brighton'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here