Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] The impending Easter weekend 'second homes' exodus

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Ok..I’ll suggest that this massive event wont happen.....people did try and i guess some succeeded a few weeks back ..and yes a few might try again....but they will be the minority, of course the few will make the headlines and give some people an excuse to rant and rave ..rather than concentrate on the many many many that don’t.

Last edited:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
But this isn't a class issue. The internet is awash with "families" baiting the Police when they've met up for drinks and they are actually deliberately wasting Police time, not a Tabetha or Range Rover in sight! It's not class it's about people, from all walks of life that, these days, think the law and government advice doesn't apply to them.

I know it isn't. There's weapons grade idiocy going on across the board. The thing with the DFL's going off to their second homes in Cornwall though, most of them are professionals and educated, therefore, ordinarily, they should be informed or more informed. Sadly having a degree, doesn't equate to common sense though and I appreciate I'm making a somewhat quaint assumption, because.....

.....It's a societal thing. The internet, social media and smartphones has created a self absorbed, selfish society. A lot of people are turned off, ignorant and not engaged from what's going on - this wouldn't be happening in the days of 4 TV channels, a daily newspaper, BBC Radio and if you're really lucky, Ceefax on your Telly. There still is community spirit out there, but it isn't what it was.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
My son (who you may recall having met at the football) lives across town in a flat. No garden. He's furloughed, and has been driving out like me, and has now found he can't find anywhere to go to by car. He hasn't been round to us because I'm over 60. So he has to take his chances and get his exercise and outside air by walking the streets.
So what's the problem driving to somewhere you know will be empty of people? It just feels wrong to me. Increasingly so.
Doesn't apply to me (not going out at all for 12 weeks) but I totally agree with that last bit. Obviously (as was shown at beauty spots in Sussex two weekends ago) going to the main tourist beauty spots is not on - the car parks are probably locked anyway - but there are other places that nobody goes to. I could (theoretically) self isolate in my car and have a walk in one of these places without even seeing anyone, let alone having to stay 2 metres apart (My crap Hyundai I10 could get me there very sluggishly in 10-15 minutes, while using far more petrol than a so-called economical car should use).
There is some sort of herd instinct in people - especially 'townies' - that although we like to get away to the country, we don't like it so much if it's too empty, too lonely. So it's a sort of self-fulfilling thing - if there's absolutely no-one there, nobody wants to go there on their own.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
But this isn't a class issue. The internet is awash with "families" baiting the Police when they've met up for drinks and they are actually deliberately wasting Police time, not a Tabetha or Range Rover in sight! It's not class it's about people, from all walks of life that, these days, think the law and government advice doesn't apply to them.

I agree that it goes across all classes, but I believe it's a small, but unfortunately significant (and noisy) minority.

'I'm entitled to my opinion, I know my rights, but I have no concept whatsoever of my responsibilities' :shrug:

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Ok..I’ll suggest that this massive event wont happen.....people did try and i guess some succeeded a few weeks back ..and yes a few might try again....but they will be the minority of course the few will make the headlines and give some people an excuse to rant and rave ..rather than concentrate on the many many many that don’t.

My thoughts exactly. Of course there will be ****s on facebook or wherever bragging about breaking the rules, and a few dozen families moved down to the south west (perhaps this all became quite what it is now and some of them may be regretting or a bit embarrassed about that move), but rather than focus on them and get into a bile filled Daily Mail style rant about what you are guessing could maybe happen, lets be happy that the vast majority of people are doing exactly as they're told and celebrate that.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

That was one family going to the lakes wasn't it? I can't tell from that 'convoy of caravans' story where one flipped on the M5 whether that was a subtle reference to gypsies or not.

I'm all for stopping movement, but we need to keep a sense of perspective here and worry about things that warrant being worried about.

Even that website's colour scheme is screaming 'Palace' at me.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Doesn't apply to me (not going out at all for 12 weeks) but I totally agree with that last bit. Obviously (as was shown at beauty spots in Sussex two weekends ago) going to the main tourist beauty spots is not on - the car parks are probably locked anyway - but there are other places that nobody goes to. I could (theoretically) self isolate in my car and have a walk in one of these places without even seeing anyone, let alone having to stay 2 metres apart (My crap Hyundai I10 could get me there very sluggishly in 10-15 minutes, while using far more petrol than a so-called economical car should use).
There is some sort of herd instinct in people - especially 'townies' - that although we like to get away to the country, we don't like it so much if it's too empty, too lonely. So it's a sort of self-fulfilling thing - if there's absolutely no-one there, nobody wants to go there on their own.

Hmmmm.....I meant 'wrong' more in terms of my grabbing something other's can't, and in my case (with my garden) something I don't 'need', rather than 'wrong' as my being frightened of bears and ghosts if I walk in the woods alone. Personally I love a walk in empty space. 'Other people' get on my wick :wink:

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London

Delete facebook, life is so much happier.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Ok..I’ll suggest that this massive event wont happen.....people did try and i guess some succeeded a few weeks back ..and yes a few might try again....but they will be the minority, of course the few will make the headlines and give some people an excuse to rant and rave ..rather than concentrate on the many many many that don’t.

I'm with you on this ... a few will and the Express/Mail will probably do a quick photoshop for their front page tomorrow

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
It incredibly sad that they will have to direct significant resources to this really, a sad inditement of where society is with regards to being unable to take any simple instruction for the greater good, can you imagine sending city banker Hoyt, 29 who owns a Range Rover and and a second home in Penzance off to war? We’d be doomed.

You realise he'd be your CO...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think the Police have been caught between a rock and a hard place. They were given powers following the lockdown and when they attempted to exercise them they have been criticized. eg. The Derbyshire Police got it in the neck for using a drone and filming people on the Peak District. I have no problem with them doing that and if people have travelled there and are then walking for a couple of hours (most people that travel to the national parks aren't just walking for the hour as per the lockdown) then fine them.

As for those celebrities or government officials that have travelled to second homes then the Police should be fining them (and if it is known they went more than once then double it).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Delete facebook, life is so much happier.

This.

Haven't actually deleted mine but have not posted on or looked at it for months. I was starting to get really narked off with the constant bullshit memes, the binary nature of everything and the fact that a lot of people just seem to use it to stalk others online. It was like this place but with less football, worse writing, lots of "xx hun", REALLY shit local groups (hello Buzz on Boundary) real names and no moderation.

The more needy you are the more you use Facebook in my opinion. I've been much happier since I started ignoring it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here