[Albion] The 'Hyypia resignation/leaving' thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

westsussexseagulls

Sep 22, 2008
Hypia was not getting results and correct he has gone.

However unless the structure changes, the next man is likely to be doing this job with one hand tied behind his back.

As a minimum Burke should go and if the club are insistent on a Director of Football, the new man should have a say on who that Director of Football is.

Absolutely agree

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Why so late in the day?

It's about 2 a.m. where Bloom is so can't get an acceptance straight away, gives the Board time to gauge the fans reaction, before accepting it?

Someone go and wake Tony up, just get him to say yes and we can all crack on. Sticky Danny Cullip & Richard Carpenter in charge for Boxing Day, just for old times sake. Bringing TS onto the pitch at HT to take applause from his adoring fans .... end of.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Argus/Andy Naylor story now published
via http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/11682806.Hyypia_resigns/

Albion manager Sami Hyypia has quit.

The Finn has fallen on his sword with the Seagulls in the Championship relegation zone after one win in 18 games.

The timing of Hyypia's decision, following Saturday's battling 1-1 draw with ten men at Wolves, has caught the club by surprise.

Hyypia attended the Young Seagulls Christmas party at the Amex yesterday and was at the training complex in Lancing this morning.

No reason has been given for his resignation but the club are expected to release a statement later this afternoon.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Now on Argus website (15:30):

by Andy Naylor, Chief sports reporter

The Finn has fallen on his sword with the Seagulls in the Championship relegation zone after one win in 18 games.

The timing of Hyypia's decision, following Saturday's battling 1-1 draw with ten men at Wolves, has caught me by surprise.

Hyypia attended the Young Seagulls Christmas party at the Amex yesterday and was at the training complex in Lancing this morning.

No reason has been given for his resignation but the club are expected to release a statement later this afternoon

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
I don't think the board have persuaded him to stay, I wouldnt be surprised if both parties have been negotiating a payoff over the last few days/weeks.

Hyypia gets a lump sum to walk (and not allowed to discuss/criticize the clubs transfer policy) and the club can hold their heads up high, we've always backed him etc.

Anyway can't wait to Boxing Day now, what would have been a horrible day should now be full of celebration.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
As some have said in this thread, I do feel he was sold down the river to an extent with our shocking dealings in the summer, but his tactical ineptitude is undeniable. The squad may have been weakened but I don't believe it was weakened to such an extent that relegation could've been a possibility.

Now let's get the right man in, get the chequebook out in January and get behind the boys.

And hope it's not Nathan Jones taking over..

Dan The Man

Sep 27, 2011
Mile Oak
why now though? (maybe he had plans Boxing Day and the missus has put her foot down...)

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
Now on Argus website (15:30):

by Andy Naylor, Chief sports reporter

The timing of Hyypia's decision, following Saturday's battling 1-1 draw with ten men at Wolves, has caught me by surprise.

No reason has been given for his resignation but the club are expected to release a statement later this afternoon

So what happened either at training or when he returned from training?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports