Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The 'Hyypia resignation/leaving' thread

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
That's about how I see it too. The squad is definitely worse than it used to be, but it's not as bad as Hyypia made them play.

I'm not so sure, I would say we are weaker in every single position than we were when we lost in the play offs to Palace and hardly anyone even from last season, with the possible exception of Dunk. Given the small margins at play in this tight league that will make a big performance. A new manager will I suspect be backed with some money in January but if he wasn't I doubt they would do much better.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Three managers leaving the club in less than two years and all three of them wanting to leave is hardly a ringing endorsement of the club. Wonder who would want to come?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I'm not so sure, I would say we are weaker in every single position than we were when we lost in the play offs to Palace and hardly anyone even from last season, with the possible exception of Dunk. Given the small margins at play in this tight league that will make a big performance. A new manager will I suspect be backed with some money in January but if he wasn't I doubt they would do much better.

Interesting point. I don't doubt that money will be available in January, so we won't be able to see what a new manager would be able to do with the existing squad. I'm not for a second suggesting we have a play-off ready squad, but I do think they're more than capable of mid-table if correctly managed and, perhaps critically, motivated. :shrug: It's a moot point now.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Hooray!!!! And I was RIGHT since September. Suck on that naysayers.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Whoever takes over will surely change the game plan and line up, hopefully to a flat back 4 and then either 4-2 or 3-2-1 or 3-3 .but ensure some clean sheets,

Does the news explain Diarras non appearance tonight?

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Strange he decides to go after a decent performance against Wolves, probably would have been 3 points if it wasn't for Bruno's madness and just after Bloom had left for Australia. I may have given him a little more time if he followed that with a win on boxing day. If he felt this way, resigning after the Millwall game would have seen more logical for everyone.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Hyypia took a mediocre squad and made them shite. The squad decline over the last year and a half, two years shouldn't be ignored but Hyypia did a bad job with what he had.

This. Some of the posts on here are too kind to SH. He knew whay he was walking into; there is a general consensus that the squad assembled in August was good enough for mid table and he has conspired to take us in the drop zone. Not good enough, no more Mr. Nice Guy please.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
The Guardian are illustrating the story with something other than a predictable picture. Libel laws prevent me from offering any suggestions as to what they might be alluding to.

image.jpg

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Strange he decides to go after a decent performance against Wolves, probably would have been 3 points if it wasn't for Bruno's madness and just after Bloom had left for Australia. I may have given him a little more time if he followed that with a win on boxing day. If he felt this way, resigning after the Millwall game would have seen more logical for everyone.

That was a good performance for 20 minutes, then pretty shite even before Bruno's moment of madness.

brightoon

Jun 13, 2011
Firstly, I would like to wish Sami well in the future. There are a couple of things that Im finding quite worrying at the moment..1st is Why did the club not feel the need to end this arrangement sooner? indeed if you believe other sources, they were trying to encourage him to stay. For me and many others it was obvious from a relatively early stage that things were not going to end well...2nd I really hope that this isnt a case of senior management approaching Sami this morning and confirming to him that the shopping list he has proposed for January is a non starter and that he will have to make do with what he has got (TB doesnt like doing buisness in Jan and player prices will be vastly inflated owing to our position in table). Therefore giving Sami no option but to again offer his resignation? Still onwards and upwards bring on Mr Hoddle.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Hyypia was given a squad of mediocre players and he got the worst out of them.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
FINALLY!!!! Was watching football league show and they pointedly remarked on how well teams who have changed their managers have done in the Championship. The writing was so clear on the wall but we have been seriously myopic.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
It's all down to money bloom obviously countered he couldn't afford to pay hyppia off aswell as get a whole new set of managerial staff in plus buy players in jan, I suspect he felt hyppia might walk so he wouldn't have to pay him off and it's worked.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'm not for one minute suggesting that Sammi Hyypia has been a good manager for the Albion but until I know - and I've a snowballs chance of hell in finding out - what agreement he had in place with The three B's when he signed Concerning new players then I'm not going to join in with the general criticism of the man. There were early signs that our football was becoming quicker, more incisive and certainly more entertatiianing in the earlier days and then it went hideously wrong.
Working on the assumption that TB doesn't like to do transfer business in jan then we will have to wait and see just what a new man can do. I wonder if he'll bite the bullet and bring Sherwood and his boys in now.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
In the end it's been a victory for fan power over the wishes of the board, just that personally I thought Sami was a decent guy and it's a desperate shame he is on the wrong end of all this.

I really wish him well in his next job.

Yes he was a decent guy and its a shame it happens to a nice guy and I wish him well in the next job. However, he was not the solution and sometimes just change can get the club back on the right footing. We weren't in the dressing room after the Wolves game but I suspect it was the atmosphere in there that made up his mind for him. If we had gone off the pitch strengthened no end of fan power would have got him out.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Nice bloke, but out of his depth as a manager. Worse squad or not (it's not a bottom end of the championship squad) he made tactical error after error and didn't seem to learn from any of them.
Intrigued to see what ideas Nathan Jones has, did a lot of the coaching last season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here