Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Hundred

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The Welsh Fire being unremittingly shite was hugely fun, worrying they might not be anymore

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The comparison with the Ashes is that The Hundred has zero tolerance on laddish and loutish behaviour to generate a truly family friendly inclusive environment. Audiences whilst not yet absolutely full, and despite the horrific weather have still been good, and as the tournament builds and hopefully we get some better conditions I think so too will the size of the audiences.
You and I will have to disagree and, on the basis of this, I'm not so sure that going to the football is for you either. The Hundred is in its final year according to its Chief Exec

Pudos

Aug 18, 2015
Whilst the hundred may/may not be in its final year, a day at a game is great fun. I went again to Ageas again yesterday for the Southern Brave game. Two great games, the standard of women's cricket has increased incredibly quickly. The crowd number was good, the Ageas can at times look like it has more empty seats as many stand on the ridged area at the back, especially a few groups meeting to have a pint and watch. Lots of families and children there, young children really enjoying the whole day. I am a Sussex member and go to all the different games - when I can - but the atmosphere at the 100 last night was way above anything Sussex, Hampshire, Middlesex etc normally create. If it does inspire children to play, great, the game really needs it. Nationally there are a large number of clubs folding and games cancelled left right and centre as there are too few playing. Older players retire, youngsters play for a bit but really bot enough keep going. The 100 will be a failed experiment, to the joy of many in cricket - the amount of 100 haters posting on cricket forums is unreal. One I belong to for County Cricket just seems to post non stop I hate the hundred posts, and hardly talks of county games at all - but then who does? When working away I watched Glamorgan v Kent on a Saturday, about 30 people there. A guy in our team has a 'stop the 100' sticker on his kit bag, lives in Hove, asked him when he last went to watch Sussex....never. Lived there for 23 years! No, the 100 is not everyone's cup of tea, but the joy of a cricket failure should stop.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Whilst the hundred may/may not be in its final year, a day at a game is great fun. I went again to Ageas again yesterday for the Southern Brave game. Two great games, the standard of women's cricket has increased incredibly quickly. The crowd number was good, the Ageas can at times look like it has more empty seats as many stand on the ridged area at the back, especially a few groups meeting to have a pint and watch. Lots of families and children there, young children really enjoying the whole day. I am a Sussex member and go to all the different games - when I can - but the atmosphere at the 100 last night was way above anything Sussex, Hampshire, Middlesex etc normally create. If it does inspire children to play, great, the game really needs it. Nationally there are a large number of clubs folding and games cancelled left right and centre as there are too few playing. Older players retire, youngsters play for a bit but really bot enough keep going. The 100 will be a failed experiment, to the joy of many in cricket - the amount of 100 haters posting on cricket forums is unreal. One I belong to for County Cricket just seems to post non stop I hate the hundred posts, and hardly talks of county games at all - but then who does? When working away I watched Glamorgan v Kent on a Saturday, about 30 people there. A guy in our team has a 'stop the 100' sticker on his kit bag, lives in Hove, asked him when he last went to watch Sussex....never. Lived there for 23 years! No, the 100 is not everyone's cup of tea, but the joy of a cricket failure should stop.
We watched the finale during the Massive half time. Excellent! I say that as someone who last attended a Sussex game when John Snow was mid-career.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Absolutely incredible game between the Oval and the Welsh tonight, tied with a run out deemed not out by a single frame after Tom Curran went berserk

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Absolutely incredible game between the Oval and the Welsh tonight, tied with a run out deemed not out by a single frame after Tom Curran went berserk
I was there. Great end. Kids loved it.

Amusing moment at the end when a solitary Welsh Fire player celebrated when the scoreboard showed "Not out".

Don't know if the cameras caught that?

Reactions: A1X

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I've really enjoyed watching the hundred these last 2 years. Huge hits, close finishes, good crowds all served up in a manageable timeframe. Last night's game was a cracker. More please.

Reactions: A1X

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
What’s the advantage of the regionalised teams? Regardless of the excitement of the format, I don’t see how I’d be as invested in the outcome as I would if rooting for Sussex to succeed. Just an old git I suppose.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
What’s the advantage of the regionalised teams? Regardless of the excitement of the format, I don’t see how I’d be as invested in the outcome as I would if rooting for Sussex to succeed. Just an old git I suppose.
Counties mean f-all to millions living in cities such as London and Birmingham.

It’s aimed at new fans - something that many on here seem to struggle with.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Fair enough re: the cities. Still don’t get it personally, being a Sussex bumpkin.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Welsh Fire looked hugely impressive in despatching an under par Birmingham Phoenix. We're going to have to be at our very best to got a much needed win at Sophia Gardens on Saturday.

COYBIG

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Our local heroes need a win here v Salt, Evans, Buttler & Co.

Legends of the South won the toss and bowl.

Need some proper bowling against these sloggers. Weather influenced?

Live on the Beeb.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012

Trouble is they have stopped All proper cricket, including test matches for this circus ,
imagine no test matches in August , never Happened before , just so they can plat this stupid game ,
no other country is interested in playing it , why did they not stick with 20 20
which is great ,
land when I used to go down at Sussex was always full , as with all other grounds ,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here