Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Huddersfield Post Mortem

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
No time on the ball, passing never got going, no possession, very rare night, can't see it being as bad on Sunday, but time for Chris to lift the team

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Perspective needed.

A bad day at the office for the Albion. Outplayed and outfought. No composure from the start with Bruno's yellow card inside the first minute..

But losing away to a decent playoff team isn't really any worse than Newcastle drawing at home to a side fighting relegation.

We were probably expecting a point but didn't get one, they were expecting all 3 and dropped 2 of them in the last minute.

Winning our home games and picking up a few points on the road will be enough.

Cause for concern, but not alarm.

Last edited:

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Bad game, they were good, we weren't.
The only sour grapes I can think of, is every partial contact their players fell over and then collectively got in the refs face. I really wanted one of our players to go through the back of that chris martin wannabe wells.....he started to annoy me. Not because he's good(he's ok)but because of the whinging.
Plus points....it was 0-0 in the second half, they can take points of the chasing pack, we're still top

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
First goal, marginal offside but should have been given by lino
Second goal, lucky break following Kayal's tackle
Third goal, poor judgment by Stockdale (no blame though, mistakes happen and he also pulled off some good saves)

Huddersfield deserved winners though.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
We're missing Bong, Stephens, Baldock and Kayal/March are both coming back from long term injuries

That's 5 out of 11 of our best starting line up either not available or not up to scatch

Edited for you

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
The midfield, or lack of, was obviously the main problem tonight; Norwood and Murphy just too lightweight IMO for this type of game and Kayal not on it.

Bruno's early madness probably helped Knockaert not being able to get as involved too.

Still it could have been worse!

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
How do you think the game would have gone with either Goldson or the Chelsea lad playing instead?

I think Goldson did okay the other night, and i think he would have been far less scared of their attackers pace. But, on the day, no idea.

EDIT I think if Liam was fit this season he would be starting at RB.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Always flat performances when the first team have had a break, ie International breaks or cup matches but tactically wrong tonight, big concerns over squad back up quality if/when big players are missing as they will be between now and May,

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
It happens and Huddersfield were very good.

Hemed and Murray together doesn't work - we know that. If Baldock isn't fit for Sunday I'd start Akpom, or even go 451. Tonight 442 was never going to work against Huddersield's set-up with Brown getting the ball in loads of space all the time in front of the back four.

But a kick up the arse from CH is also needed - we were second to everything tonight it seemed.

Then again, we're top of the league. Which is nice.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
EVERYONE knows that Huddersfield use gegenpressing, why were we not prepared for that? You cannot turn up away at a team that uses high-pressure tactics and try to play your normal game, you have to adapt.

Think Hughton will be just as disappointed in himself for the tactics (or lack of) that he deployed today as the players for their horrendous performance.

Last edited:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Tone set early on by Bruno with a very daft booking, left him very exposed (and he didn't look match fit anyway) and we were over-run in midfield which CH took too long to address. Didn't get the rub of the green, and too many players simply had bad games.

Sunday a huge game now. Decent performance and a win and we're back on track. Lose and odds of a meltdown increase.

The Knockaert pass back wasn't a good sign either. When players start doing things they would never do, you know it's not going to end well.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If the Chelsea lad is not good enough why on earth is he here.
That was hardly the game to find out.

I think Goldson did okay the other night, and i think he would have been far less scared of their attackers pace. But, on the day, no idea.

EDIT I think if Liam was fit this season he would be starting at RB.
Deffo a job for Liam, not Connor.

As poor as Bruno was, esp in the first half, he was still the best option.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here