Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Huddersfield Drum

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Huddersfield the club worked very hard to generate that atmosphere which was a one-off, although I suspect it'll be pretty lively against the massive Leeds tomorrow too. As for the drum I don't have strong feelings one way or another although if it gets the North stand singing as one it may be worth considering!!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
It was the same last season, hard to get the atmosphere going in the away end with noisy home fans under the same roof.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Still the anti drum brigade fail to understand that the best atmospheres of any clubs on the PLANET use a drum to keep people in time. Just got back from Atletico game and another great atmosphere with songs sung in time thanks to the drum.

What is amazing is that fans call it tinpot when the worlds biggest and best atmospheres all use one. It is not about whacking it aimlessly for 90 minutes. It is about aiding a chant in time once it has got going.

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
Still the anti drum brigade fail to understand that the best atmospheres of any clubs on the PLANET use a drum to keep people in time. Just got back from Atletico game and another great atmosphere with songs sung in time thanks to the drum.

What is amazing is that fans call it tinpot when the worlds biggest and best atmospheres all use one. It is not about whacking it aimlessly for 90 minutes. It is about aiding a chant in time once it has got going.
Spot on mate

Sent by WEI Device

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

What the pro drum brigade fail to understand is that we are Brighton. We will make a decent noise on occasion as evidenced by the playoff second leg last season against massive. However, this fails to take into account that we are also English. The Spanish idea of noise and fun is characterised by crazy bulls charging through narrow streets, goring people as they run. We, on the other hand, have Morris dancing.

A drum sounds awful most of the time in England.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
If we had a bunch of drummerS THAT COULD PLAY together then I'd have no problem. Unfortunately that would never happen, instead be like an infant school music lesson. Plus if they could shut up for periods. It's actually annoying when people are constantly trying to get a song going every second of the game. Almost artificial.

The-Libertine

May 2, 2006
Was the drumming at Huddersfield as good as at Lincoln? I thought it was really effective and helped to generate a really good atmosphere in the home end at Sincil Bank.

Trelford Mills Guide Dog

Jun 14, 2008
image.jpeg

Tinpot !

Blatter

Feb 27, 2012
I was at Huddersfield and by having the drum and some vocal supporters in the same end as the away fans it really helped them drown out the away crowd. In agreement with some of the comments on this thread that by half time I really would have liked to shove that drum up its owners jacksie.

As to whether it would work at the Amex......Only one way to find out I guess

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Having been to close to the England drummer I have to say it spoiled my evening, except we beat Scotland :smile:

I really don't want to hear some mindless banging on animal skin, and I'm sure those too close to one would feel the same. It's a bit NIMBY I guess.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Although I can't be accused of using that old NSC favourite of 'tinpot', I wouldn't want a drum anywhere near me thanks. Would you be ok with him/her as your next door seat neighbour in the ground?

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
There is a difference between noise and atmosphere.

Quite right. Normally when we play them on a Tuesday night and they are mid-table in front of 8-10,000 the drum is just a mindless noise. Bang bang bang and 20 yoofs singing occasionally.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Although I can't be accused of using that old NSC favourite of 'tinpot', I wouldn't want a drum anywhere near me thanks. Would you be ok with him/her as your next door seat neighbour in the ground?

As I have said before. I think if we were to trial it for one game then said drummer could go on the shelf thus being between WSU and the North to keep in time the chants that get going, NOT to aimlessly bang away for 90 minutes.

If people do not want one then fine but do not then complain that are songs are too fast, end too quick, are a complete mess or that the north is never singing the same thing. Also do not use the 'tinpot' argument, as I have said the very best atmospheres of every club in the world use a drum to keep in time.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
What the pro drum brigade fail to understand is that we are Brighton. We will make a decent noise on occasion as evidenced by the playoff second leg last season against massive. However, this fails to take into account that we are also English. The Spanish idea of noise and fun is characterised by crazy bulls charging through narrow streets, goring people as they run. We, on the other hand, have Morris dancing.

A drum sounds awful most of the time in England.

Nice one Mr. Xenophobia.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
As I have said before. I think if we were to trial it for one game then said drummer could go on the shelf thus being between WSU and the North to keep in time the chants that get going, NOT to aimlessly bang away for 90 minutes.

If people do not want one then fine but do not then complain that are songs are too fast, end too quick, are a complete mess or that the north is never singing the same thing. Also do not use the 'tinpot' argument, as I have said the very best atmospheres of every club in the world use a drum to keep in time.

Never ever complained about atmosphere and not about to begin. However I would complain if the mind numbing pounding was too close to me. You seem a little obsessed with the word 'tinpot'.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Never ever complained about atmosphere and not about to begin. However I would complain if the mind numbing pounding was too close to me. You seem a little obsessed with the word 'tinpot'.

Yes because Brighton fans seem to churn it out for any attempt to get an atmosphere going. I do not mind not having a drum but then we cannot also complain about the coordination of songs in the north stand or that our songs get faster and faster and fall apart.

The reason I keep using tinpot is because Brighton fans use it about a drum without a hint of irony that Dortmund, Atletico, Celtic and any other amazing atmosphere teams ALL use one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here