Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Hairy Cornflake...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well yeah.
If you're proven not guilty of sexual charges after you've been splashed all over the media as a sex offender, then I'd say that makes you a victim.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I never liked DLT. I thought none of the funniest things I have ever heard on the radio was his on-air resignation. He was bemoaning the way radio 1 was going when, to me, he seemed to be one of the biggest problems.

EDIT: But that has nothing to do with whether he is guilty as charged

Pretty much agree with that, I'd also add that he took offence to Smashy & Nicey and would deride it regularly on his show. He always came across as somebody who was 'zany' in his public persona but the complete opposite off air.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
What about the old joke from the 70's/80's?

[Insert Radio1 DJ name] pulls up in his convertible Merc, and a young girl recognises him, and gets all star struck

She asks the DJ if he will give a mention to her mum on the radio, as it's her birthday today

DJ invites her into his car, and starts undoing his flies. He has his todger in his hand, and says to her, 'You know what to do with this...'

She moves her head towards his chappy, and when down there, says to it in a loud voice, 'Hello Mum, Happy Birthday from Sandra!...'

No smoke without fire ???

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Pretty much agree with that, I'd also add that he took offence to Smashy & Nicey and would deride it regularly on his show. He always came across as somebody who was 'zany' in his public persona but the complete opposite off air.

He took great offence to Smashy & Nicey which proved what a very funny parody they were.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Well yeah.
If you're proven not guilty of sexual charges after you've been splashed all over the media as a sex offender, then I'd say that makes you a victim.

But you were saying they would have admitted committing the crimes but would have used the defence of being 'a different time'. I'm not sure that's even to what i'd regard as a victim

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Personally; he was not to my taste at all on the airwaves - I always thought he was the epitome of what was wrong with R1 in the late 70s and 80s. Guilty of sexual assault he may or may not be, guilty of assaulting my ear drums he certainly was...

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
it's for others to judge guilt on these things but I can't help but think this is a witch hunt going on and people are now being judged by today's ever so everything is and must be PC on events and things that happened in a very different world and era and things were far less clear cut .....That doesn't make it right or excuse those who crossed lines back then, the law is catching up on them and rightly so, but I doubt there are many people on here who at some time in the past have not had a few scrapes or 'unusual events' as I call them of some kind that at the time when happened were just that and laughed off but if judged by today's standards might look lot less good. At the moment it just seems that anyone whose vaguely well known from the 70's, 80's or 90's is at risk of allegations coming completely out of the blue and to all intents purposes being deemed instantly 'guilty' in the eyes of the public and media - if they attempt to defend and deny they still seem damned from the start and I am sure a few will accept on advice lesser guilty pleas simply because that is probably a lot less risky than facing a jury influenced by what they read and hear. Not sure that's justice.

Hear what you are saying about a witch hunt but if you fingered a 14 yr old girl in the 70s or 80s I'm pretty sure it's as serious as doing it now and needs to be dealt with.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think you have to be very careful when this sort of thing starts rolling like some out of control lorry.

We were chatting about this in the pub after cricket and one of the opposition guys works in the national media in London. He was "approached" by a group who wanted the writers and producers of such programmes as" love They Neighbour" " Mind your language" and the Alf Garnett one to be prosecuted for race crimes, ie inciting racial hatred in the 70's and 80's and their argument was that if Saville, Barlow and Hall etc could be retrospectively persued for crimes back in that period, then they had every right to persue these people. naturally he said no, but he had the opinion that they would just trawl the media until someone picket it up!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I think you have to be very careful when this sort of thing starts rolling like some out of control lorry.

We were chatting about this in the pub after cricket and one of the opposition guys works in the national media in London. He was "approached" by a group who wanted the writers and producers of such programmes as" love They Neighbour" " Mind your language" and the Alf Garnett one to be prosecuted for race crimes, ie inciting racial hatred in the 70's and 80's and their argument was that if Saville, Barlow and Hall etc could be retrospectively persued for crimes back in that period, then they had every right to persue these people. naturally he said no, but he had the opinion that they would just trawl the media until someone picket it up!

If it wasn't a crime at the time, they couldn't be prosecuted.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If it wasn't a crime at the time, they couldn't be prosecuted.

dunno...they seemed pretty sure they were on a winner seemly!

Trouble is things like that just detract from the issues that should be investigated, i.e. how widespread child abuse actually was ( and still is) Every day there is some bloody senior clergyman on the telly apologising for some filthy pervert who abused boys in his choir!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Absolutely right - lets dig up Guy Gibson and dismember his body for calling his dog ****** - clearly an incitement to racial hatred.... :mad:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Four words
smoke
fire
trust
money

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Whatever happened to large scale Misogyny like this? I expect DLT was contractually obliged to perv it up big style. He's not going to stand there sucking a thoughtful tooth and awarding points for artistic interpretation. " Ah yes I see the nipple is estanding perpendicular to the aureole, this is emblematic of the raised fascist salute, post Zionist hegemony..Bravo Miss"

Besides, if a girl is in a Miss wet T shirt competition in front of hundreds of people...she probably isn't the shy type and clearly expects a bit of letching...otherwise I don't really see the point.

This made me laugh, frank and too the point. if a girl is willing to get her tits wet on a stage infront of people, she will probably be pretty keen for a bit of boob grabbing as well.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Travis was a self important, humourless, pretentious twerp - and his music taste was awful as well.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Hear what you are saying about a witch hunt but if you fingered a 14 yr old girl in the 70s or 80s I'm pretty sure it's as serious as doing it now and needs to be dealt with.

I fingered a few 14 year olds in the 80s.

Mind you...I was 14 as well at the time.

Dandyman

In London village.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
My sister met him in the late eighties, and said he was an arrogant.miserable,self obsessed, big headed twunt,but apart from that he was alright.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
it's for others to judge guilt on these things but I can't help but think this is a witch hunt going on and people are now being judged by today's ever so everything is and must be PC on events and things that happened in a very different world and era and things were far less clear cut .....That doesn't make it right or excuse those who crossed lines back then, the law is catching up on them and rightly so, but I doubt there are many people on here who at some time in the past have not had a few scrapes or 'unusual events' as I call them of some kind that at the time when happened were just that and laughed off but if judged by today's standards might look lot less good. At the moment it just seems that anyone whose vaguely well known from the 70's, 80's or 90's is at risk of allegations coming completely out of the blue and to all intents purposes being deemed instantly 'guilty' in the eyes of the public and media - if they attempt to defend and deny they still seem damned from the start and I am sure a few will accept on advice lesser guilty pleas simply because that is probably a lot less risky than facing a jury influenced by what they read and hear. Not sure that's justice.

To be fair they aren't being actually judged by today's standards, Dave Hall was sentenced according to the law at the time of the offences.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here