Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Greatest Albums of 1979

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Well just my opinion as you say but since you asked: Lost in the Supermarket. I just went back to listen to it to remind myself why it grates and it's the lazy, anything-will-do of the lyrics for one thing:

I wasn't born so much as I fell out
No one ever listened to me
We had a hedge back home in the suburbs
Over which, I never could see.

Wrong Em Boyo, Death or Glory, Jimmy Jazz - I always feel like I'm listening to a pub band playing to some bored pensioners more interested in their dominoes game.

Sorry.

agree with you

London Calling is brilliant

apart from that Spanish Bombs and Brand New Cadillac

the rest meh

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
That’s a stunning album. At the time as a kid into new wave, synth pop and post punk, that shouldn’t been my ‘cup of tea’, but I loved it straight away (my Dad played it).

Yes, agree with SuperTramp. Must also confess to loving B-52's, my secret pleasure when in the mood.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Coincidentally I picked up a picture disc version of BiA just yesterday.

Roger Hodgson is touring this year highlighting the album to celebrate the 40th anniversary.

The completely contrasting vocals of Hodgson and Davies, within one band, must be pretty unique. Both great. Goodbye Stranger is an amazing song.

In 1974 an older brother of mine used to play Crime of the Century, loved that too.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
A good year! Looking at the list there's a real diversity of musical styles/genres. For me, it got worse in the 80s but was probably better in the 60s...……..Not sure if it was an 'obvious ommission' but I would have expected and like to have seen Supertramp's Breakfast in America in there.

Obviously opinions but I dislike Breakfast in America when put up against Crime of the Century in particular, and Crisis? What Crisis and Even in the Quietest Moments.

Rather like Dire Straits and Brothers in Arms, I prefer the albums before the one which everyone brought and played to death.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Must also confess to loving B-52's, my secret pleasure when in the mood.

I'm seeing them again in September. Strangely, here it is simply the 40th Anniversary tour, whereas at the earlier date in London (June 30th) it is the Farewell European Tour. Not sure exactly what that means. Maybe it's a B52exit.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Obviously opinions but I dislike Breakfast in America when put up against Crime of the Century in particular, and Crisis? What Crisis and Even in the Quietest Moments.

Rather like Dire Straits and Brothers in Arms, I prefer the albums before the one which everyone brought and played to death.

I agree with this, Crime of the Century is their masterpiece.

I would also have Lodger by David Bowie in at about number 5ish, on of my favourite Bowie albums.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Breakfast in America kept my interest, because I only ever heard my Dad playing it back in the day, then completely forgot about it, until more recently Youtube or the radio played it, getting my interest back. I’m helped because I love their vocal styles.

As I said, I love Crime of the Century too, but just a passing mention as this is a 79 thread!

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
I have a fascination with lists, but in the end it's all down to personal taste.
These are some very good albums from 40 years ago not on that list:

Lodger - David Bowie
Unknown Pleasures - Joy Division
Even Serpents Shine - The Only Ones
A Different Kind of Tension - Buzzcocks
Cool for Cats - Squeeze
Uncle Jam Wants You - Funkadelic
Labour of Lust - Nick Lowe
Overkill - Motorhead
XTC - Drums and Wires
and definitely the B52's!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports