Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The great Vicente saga - 2012 edition [All quite exciting in the end]

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Him and his agent are now being totally unprofessional regarding his no-show. I hope and think that far from forcing the club's hand in terms of shipping him out, it's going to mean they play hardball and don't pay him until he starts honouring the terms of the contract he signed.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
i think more people would have been ok with ok with him going If he had 'nt led us up the garden path Letting us all think he was more or less certain to sign Then changing his mind at the last moment

del strangefish

Nov 1, 2008
Back of North Stand
My sister's exboyfriend's retired ex plumber just saw Vicente with his wife and new baby in ASDA at the Marina buying a 10 month supply of formula milk and pampers. :bla:

del strangefish

Nov 1, 2008
Back of North Stand
Maybe not, but quicker than reading 49 pages of speculation.

Moving over to this thread now.

Will Vicente be at pre-season training tomorrow??

Last edited:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think the thread title should be changed. Nothing short about it at all.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
when we got him fit we should have offered him a new contract then, and also poyet should keep his mouth shut in the press a little.

he is gone, and pissed off at poyet.....but, we can play hardball and maybe stop him playing for a year, or force elche to pay up a few hundred grand.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Point one is that Vicente owes Brighton nothing and as for comments for loyalty, he was an employee of ours for just under one year. That doesn't make him a lifelong supporter.
With regard to the comments on contract, yes he signed a one year contract with an option to extend. It was very clear in the press, and no doubt reporters can substantiate when GP said what he did, that BHA were not going to invoke that extension if Vicented didn't want that. As far as I am aware, that is not a hearsay comment and hasn't been denied. On that basis, a court may well find in favour of Vicente, who would argue that if he did not want to come back he would be free to talk to other clubs. Unfortunately this appears another mismanagement of contracts by the club. What they should have done is invoked the extension straight away and then offer to negotiate a new contract, rather than the other way around. Vicente would not have got ideas in his head that he could go elsewhere and would probably be, at this moment, on a route march over the south downs with the rest of the squad!!!

No, the contract supercedes Gus' verbals in the press...

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
They can be "pissed off with Poyet" all they like iaf. It would have been sheer incompetence not to activate the clause and if they don't like it they shouldn't have agreed it in the first place. If they want to go elsewhere then that is fine but they have to be realistic - the club invested plenty of time and money in Vicente, it's not unreasonable to expect some recompense if we can't have the desired outcome, a happy player with a shiny new deal which we were led to believe was almost agreed (though that may have been a smokescreen while the contract counted down.) Anyway, I hang on to the hope that they may yet still reach agreement and I won't slaughter the bloke regardless, we have no idea what has been discussed and what the "differences" are that his agent refers to.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I think we need to be realistic about this. The player is gone. The activation of the clause was really only relevent if he wanted to play for say Reading. Cant see the point in forcing a player who would rather stay in Spain and if Elche dont have the funds for a transfer (which would be nice) what are we gonna do, force him to stay? It would hardly be good for the team, cost the Albion a years wages and for a player who can afford to sit out his contract.

Lessons need to be learned from this - one in particular is that Poyet needs reigning in on his comments, about contracts, other vacancies etc.

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
I think we need to be realistic about this. The player is gone. The activation of the clause was really only relevent if he wanted to play for say Reading. Cant see the point in forcing a player who would rather stay in Spain and if Elche dont have the funds for a transfer (which would be nice) what are we gonna do, force him to stay? It would hardly be good for the team, cost the Albion a years wages and for a player who can afford to sit out his contract.

Lessons need to be learned from this - one in particular is that Poyet needs reigning in on his comments, about contracts, other vacancies etc.

Perhaps Eleche could be our feeder club for Spanish talent. They get Vicente, TB gets the shares of the club. Simples.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Oh dear - just when did life become all about soundbites and instant solutions and if it takes more than a couple of days get rid and move on...?

Have patience and let it run its course. Stop knocking Poyet. He is a figurehead in contract matters............we have a poker player at the helm and professional suits to do the deals.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1

Costs us nothing if he is refusing to play.

Doubt they can afford the medical staff we brought in to fix his mental issues with injuries.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
They can be "pissed off with Poyet" all they like iaf. It would have been sheer incompetence not to activate the clause and if they don't like it they shouldn't have agreed it in the first place. If they want to go elsewhere then that is fine but they have to be realistic - the club invested plenty of time and money in Vicente, it's not unreasonable to expect some recompense if we can't have the desired outcome, a happy player with a shiny new deal which we were led to believe was almost agreed (though that may have been a smokescreen while the contract counted down.) Anyway, I hang on to the hope that they may yet still reach agreement and I won't slaughter the bloke regardless, we have no idea what has been discussed and what the "differences" are that his agent refers to.
That pretty much echoes my thoughts on the matter.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Another agreement here. Negotiations take time and although Vicente was due back for training, they are still ongoing in one form or another. It isn't time for either side to throw the towel in. My personal view is that he won't play for us again, but I hope that there is some agreement as to compensation or that he can be persuaded to come back to see out his contract.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Why?

Gus's openness with his comments is an endearing quality, far better than the corporatespeak blandness of so many players/pundits and others in the game.

If Vicente wants to stay in Spain and play for Felch then let him. He is an employee, not a chattel.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

No-one's done anything wrong apart from maybe Vicente but I doubt he was expecting to get to this point. We hold the cards, and Poyet actually knows more than anyone on here (can you imagine?)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Why?

Gus's openness with his comments is an endearing quality, far better than the corporatespeak blandness of so many players/pundits and others in the game.

If Vicente wants to stay in Spain and play for Felch then let him. He is an employee, not a chattel.

Sorry, but Gus has made repeated mistakes with his comments, and he needs to learn to stop, engage brain, then talk to the press... IMHO he is a brilliant manaager, but with this one problem...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here