Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The great Vicente saga - 2012 edition [All quite exciting in the end]

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Just to clarify... the option FOR OUR CLUB to extend Vicente's contract by 1 year was always in the legally-binding contract that was signed 1 year ago... Gus chose (mistake) to spout off in the press that he wouldn't ENFORCE the contract extension...

Not a very clever thing for Gus to have said with the benefit of hindsight. But we're all guilty of the odd faux pas.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Finding it really hard to believe anything in this article, Why aint the press over here on to this story? i.e Argus

The Argus' Brian Owen (who is fluent in Spanish and reported on spanish press nfo) has been covering this v.well imo and his journalism has provided much of the sources for the info in this thread. He's spoken on and off to Vicente's agent, Spanish journalists, Poyet, Elche "sources", and Brighton players. He's shared updates on Twitter and written a piece (including an opinion piece) about Vicente for the paper (which runs longer pieces than are available online) pretty much every day for over a week now. He's also reminded in most pieces that the spanish press in terms of transfer rumours/speculation requires some context and caution.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Thanks Mrs Owen

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I couldn't care less whether it's foolish or not. What I do know is that as a father, my family and their well being is more important to me than anything. If that meant walking away from a working commitment I had made then that's what I would do.

I'm not biased towards the player, I'm being objective and also not labelling someone simply because of the speculation in the press. I haven't at any point suggested that there should not be a fee if he does play for another club, but I certainly wouldn't think less of him if he did leave.

I don't think he owes the club anything PRECISELY because of his contract, that sets out the terms and conditions for the relationship between club and player. I am not naive enough to think that a player has the same feelings about the club as you or I do, hence why I don't buy into expecting player loyalty either.

All good, except... Vicente signed a contract where our club had the option to extend his stay for 2 years... he would presumably have consulted with his wife on this decision at the time of signing (after all, he is such a family man)... the club have now extended... if he fails to turn-up and play, then he is in breach of contract; he would hardly be taking the higher moral ground if that's what happens? Of course, if does turn up, then all is well... otherwise, we are owed money for loss of his services...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Thanks Mrs Owen

Ha! Never met the bloke.

But there were several posts earlier wondering why there wasn't any journalism relating to this story, and deploring badly translated spanish reports. Well there's someone over there on the local paper doing all of this. The Argus , having read NSC for years but first time poster !, gets unfairly hard time on here. Worth celebrating it when it does a good job. With Vicente its been pretty good.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I agree entirely, but the message from Gus was that he wouldnt stand in his way if he decided he didnt want to stay.

This is a sign of the times unfortunately. A gentelmans agreement means nothing to people these days. Years ago you would have been thought of in a very different light if you went back on a hand shake or verbal aggreement.

But what we hear and what goes on behind the scenes are 2 verydifferent things, it would appear.

A legally-binding contract supercedes Gus' ill-advised mumblings in the Argus... Vicente should abide by contract...

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
A legally-binding contract supercedes Gus' ill-advised mumblings in the Argus... Vicente should abide by contract...

He SHOULD, yes, but since when have professional footballers lived in the real world where contracts actually mean something? Though in a strange way, if he's doing a Tevez, as is rumoured, in a way I think it strengthens our position as we can refuse to pay/fine the shit out of him while refusing to release his registration unless Elche stump up an acceptable amount of cash. I have to say, I think their conduct in this has been disgraceful - they are effectively encouraging a player to break the terms of his contract with another club.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Depends on what agreements hes made with the club. If hes buggered us around then yes, cash in as much as we can get, absolutely!!!!.

If we have broken a gents agrrement/handshake on him leaving then i think hes completely right to be annoyed and we dont deserve a penny.

No, sorry, wrong... to repeat, any Gus press verbals are superceded by the contract Vicente signed...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
But someone who has played11 or so years for valencia/champions league final/ wanted by R.Madrid for 30M odd etc.... would rate above every player you have mentioned without question.

Spanish traitor!! - V.Amusing. lool

Vicente bias again... he is undoubtedly one of the best players to play for the Albion, but...

You can't quote his former glorious achievements whilst in Spain and compare those with the achievements of players who played for Brighton in their prime... you need to compare his performances for Brighton... I witnessed the Albion glory years, and I can tell you that we had some excellent players when we were moving up towards / performing in the old 1st division... for me, irratating TV pundit tho he is, Mark Lawrenson is the best player to ever play for Brighton...

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
No, sorry, wrong... to repeat, any Gus press verbals are superceded by the contract Vicente signed...

Nevermind the fact that, if we're talking verbals, for Gus to say Vicente was 95% staying, for KLL to tweet that he was definitely staying etc., I'm pretty sure Vicente must have verbally agreed to the new contract offer before having a change of heart...

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Nevermind the fact that, if we're talking verbals, for Gus to say Vicente was 95% staying, for KLL to tweet that he was definitely staying etc., I'm pretty sure Vicente must have verbally agreed to the new contract offer before having a change of heart...

Add to the fact that his old team mate bruno is here now, he must have told him that he would be signing for us again?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Would b a tad boring and monotone if he said very little or bugger all...maybe it's time people just used a few more brain cells

Or maybe it's time Gus started engaging brain before opening his mouth? We can't keep justifying his mistakes in the press by saying he is inexperienced...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If its an added bonus it appears from the rumour site that we are after a Barcelona B player on loan for a season so if true one would expect that more and more Spaniards coming in would make him fell more at home and his partner would have more company. Also Gus said he was bringing in 2 players to help Vicente or that was how it was interpreted so presumably 2 more Spanish players.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
If its an added bonus it appears from the rumour site that we are after a Barcelona B player on loan for a season so if true one would expect that more and more Spaniards coming in would make him fell more at home and his partner would have more company. Also Gus said he was bringing in 2 players to help Vicente or that was how it was interpreted so presumably 2 more Spanish players.

I don't think any of the rumour sites erm rumours have EVER come true. It's just spotty 12 year olds making shite up.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He SHOULD, yes, but since when have professional footballers lived in the real world where contracts actually mean something? Though in a strange way, if he's doing a Tevez, as is rumoured, in a way I think it strengthens our position as we can refuse to pay/fine the shit out of him while refusing to release his registration unless Elche stump up an acceptable amount of cash. I have to say, I think their conduct in this has been disgraceful - they are effectively encouraging a player to break the terms of his contract with another club.

Good point, Elche are bang out of order... if they are talking to Vicente / his agent now, they are breaking the rules...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Disappointing as this may all turn out, the Brighton board have done exactly what they should have done to protect the club's interests.

Must admit the part of me that would like to think players remember what clubs have done for them, and they might owe a debt to in some way, has long given up the ghost on that concept. It no longer exists, sadly.
Indeed. It saddens me that he feels no loyalty to our club, but I'm now wondering whether there is any reason he should?

It might be that we paid peanuts (relatively speaking) for a crock who may or may not have delivered. In the end, we got half a season out of him and people are understandably drooling at just how good he is. He's probably thinking "right, you've seen what I can do but I've got one last chance to earn good money so you'll need to pay me more than I'm currently on"

Of course, we haven't got a clue what he's currently earning or what the market rate is for a player like Vicente.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I could be completely wrong but I would be surprised if interest from the likes of Elche would have much to do with anything. Surely he and his people would know absolutely full well that there would be interest from within Spain with him back playing and seemingly fit. Indeed, one would think he would be disappointed that the only (public) interest has come from Elche and relegated Villarreal. I still think that they are just annoyed that they lost out in the contract expiry game of bluff.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Certainly the 'smoke' suggests he is going. If so, there has to be a transfer, even nominal and if necessary it will means Vicente's wages being lower. TBH its no point doing a Tevez here as we dont have the money to throw away like Man City.

Ill still stand to the fact that he may not be much of a loss. NO guarantee hell stay fit and no guarantee we can afford to have such a player in our team (a flair player who doesnt contribute defensively... or just is too clever for the rest of the team to read)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Or maybe it's time Gus started engaging brain before opening his mouth? We can't keep justifying his mistakes in the press by saying he is inexperienced...

i'm not justifying anything poyet says...but some people are a tad naive to think that everything that is said is always going to happen..its football crikey and a lot of hype

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ill still stand to the fact that he may not be much of a loss. NO guarantee hell stay fit and no guarantee we can afford to have such a player in our team (a flair player who doesnt contribute defensively... or just is too clever for the rest of the team to read)
I think this boils down to trying ourselves feel better about him leaving. He'd be a huge loss and a top quality player I'm afraid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here