Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Great Palace 2013 managerial farce. 31 days...THEY FOUND ONE!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Aren't you benefitting from old tones massive investment ! Money is available in the premiership ,a lot of it . Managers will spend it if it is available that's natural .

But you are deliberately missing the point that in order for Pulis to be 'successful' at Stoke he had to SPEND MASSIVE amounts of money. Do you really think CPFC are going to do that?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Something went wrong!! and it really is down to the manager. Most managers in football bring their own people with them, if Holloway did not / could not, he should have found some quickly...I am not saying I am right or wrong or Know much about it (I am a Palace fan) but if you take on a managers job, your job is to manage and put your own stamp on the job. Holloway did not do this.

Although I like Holloway as a manager and person, he never really fitted at Palace and somehow got us promoted, forever thankfull of the £120 mill but not sorry to see him go TBH.

The similarity between Blackpool and Palace - in terms of clubs with no infrastructure and no right to be in the Prem - is striking. Holloway proved that he could be competitive in the Prem with Blackpool, but they were a better team, whereas Palace went up purely because of Zaha and Murray. To me, Palace have failed not so much because of Holloway but a complete lack of infrastructure, planning and direction at board level.

Blackpool's chairman banked the Prem cash, kept big signings and big wages to a minimum and upgraded the clubs status. They're now routinely play-off contenders, and that having been in the lower league for 40-odd years. Palace have spunked money on a huge squad but I'm struggling to name any new players that can be classed as an upgrade on what they had in the Championship.

"Pulis drifting. Dowie shortening. This could still be going at Christmas. Perhaps some on the list might die." :laugh:

deadpool.png

:shootself:ffsparr:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Even some of the MINORITY that want Pulis to get the job are reconsidering...

"I wonder how many like me who voted Pulis, might now be thinking we'd seriously consider withdrawing it?" :laugh:

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Tippy tappy every day of the week over "up it and get into them". If we play great "tippy tappy" football and lose I will be much happier than playing crap and winning with a lucky goal. Why? Because in one example the team is playing well and a team that plays well will win and get the results they deserve eventually and you can be proud of the way they play. The other example will be crap to watch and will fall to pieces if you are just relying on luck to get results.
Grow some balls and common sense. The result/success should not mask the way the team are playing.

I am not looking for a palace v Brighton type argument here. But what happened to the "Arsenal" of the championship a couple of seasons ago ? That great passing team that were Doncaster, lovely to watch but easy to beat.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
But you are deliberately missing the point that in order for Pulis to be 'successful' at Stoke he had to SPEND MASSIVE amounts of money. Do you really think CPFC are going to do that?

No , if he joins he won't get massive funds , that's the sticking point IMO . Pullis did really well initially with not much outlay it was only when he splashed the cash he didn't do as well . I feel he is the best candidate to keep us up ( don't laugh) but palace fans are very divided on him .

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
hang on hang on, a quick recap please:-

Why isn't Pullis manager?
The last time I tuned in he was offered a favourable deal, with Jan money and no relegation stigma.

Wasn't it a done deal?

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
hang on hang on, a quick recap please:-

Why isn't Pullis manager?
The last time I tuned in he was offered a favourable deal, with Jan money and no relegation stigma.

Wasn't it a done deal?
Nah , the done deal was with Coleman, karanka, that fulham geezer , petrescu etc . ( if you believe all you read )

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nah , the done deal was with Coleman, karanka, that fulham geezer , petrescu etc . ( if you believe all you read )
Oh jeeez just when you think it couldn't get anymore embarrassing (funny).

palaceites, knowing all you've been through and are still in, now.

Would you have taken Poyet, a month ago?

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012

Personally I wouldn't.
He's not what we need at the moment, and it could have been a Mullery mark 2 scenario.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I just think you need to have belief that you are doing things the right way and if you commit to it and keep going with it you will succeed. It may take 10 years, you may get relegated before you go up but you need to believe and not change things just because of a bad season or two.
But that is just me.

Look I don't disagree , but the way the prem is going every year you are not in it with better players that all come at a price it might be best to out fight them.... That might not be what we want but it might be the only way, as Stoke with Pulis showed.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012

I was joshing mate . Your second point er no . Would you have him back ?

Andyjohnson

Feb 1, 2012
Look I don't disagree , but the way the prem is going every year you are not in it with better players that all come at a price it might be best to out fight them.... That might not be what we want but it might be the only way, as Stoke with Pulis showed.

I've got to be honest a month ago I would have said no, but now with the benefit of hindsight I'd take him all day long. I had doubts about whether he would actually be able to cut it at this level but I think he'll do alright with sunderland

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I am not looking for a palace v Brighton type argument here. But what happened to the "Arsenal" of the championship a couple of seasons ago ? That great passing team that were Doncaster, lovely to watch but easy to beat.

There was another team of the same ilk, and they were Swansea, who have had a decent if not spectacular time in the PL, and keep to their ideals.

If I was a Palace fan, at this point of the season, and given your league position, I wouldn't give a **** about anything other than results, tippy tap, hoofball etc goes out the window. Hull away should be an opportunity Saturday to pick up something, but Steve Bruce has done extremely well there. Last season he made them hard to beat and that's why they went up, and that's why they may stay up this season despite spending less than you guys.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Charlie Brown is a free agent.

He had a great record in little league. :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was joshing mate . Your second point er no . Would you have him back ?
From your perspective but needing to flip to and from hindsight.

I wouldn't have wanted Poyet to walk straight in kissing the badge and waving the scarf.
However, given the choice of that and a month of laughing stock turmoil which still ended with Pulis, I'd have taken Poyet, in a heart beat.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
What were your losses for the last 2 seasons ?

I think they were a fair sum short of the total amount you've spunked away on players and wages, the results of which are propping you up at the foot of the premier league. Compared to many clubs in our division we are aiming to comply with FFP rules and look set to work within that framework so I don't have many concerns on that front, Palace on the other hand are acting like the Chav family whose numbers came up on the lottery, still living in the same shit house and spunking money on things they don't really need.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Re: The Great Palace 2013 managerial farce. 29 days...and counting...

There was another team of the same ilk, and they were Swansea, who have had a decent if not spectacular time in the PL, and keep to their ideals.

If I was a Palace fan, at this point of the season, and given your league position, I wouldn't give a **** about anything other than results, tippy tap, hoofball etc goes out the window. Hull away should be an opportunity Saturday to pick up something, but Steve Bruce has done extremely well there. Last season he made them hard to beat and that's why they went up, and that's why they may stay up this season despite spending less than you guys.

You know what - I'd do the opposite. That season we scraped through to the Championship we were dreadful but because the pressure was off (a bit like this season) I'm very relaxed about results and enjoying the footie much more because of it.

If I were in their position I'd go to the stadia on my to-do list and just treat this season as a bonus. Relegation is inevitable so stop fretting and just enjoy the day's out with your mates. Anyway, we all know Saturday away days to Donny and Bristol and Yeovil are much more fun than Sunday at 4 in a ground with no atmosphere and 8 miles away from yours full of 'fans' from Singapore.

If winning is your main reason for supporting then you've picked the wrong team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here