The Government’s 80% wage pledge

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I heard self employed with less than a full years tax, say 9months will be spread out over a year meaning you get even less?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Good news, that’s incorrect. The historical average of taxable profits per submitted tax returns 6/4/16 to 5/4/19, divided by the number of months of trading behind those figures, will form the basis of calculating monthly self employed payouts. A short basis period won’t lead to a lower average payout.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Good news, that’s incorrect. The historical average of taxable profits per submitted tax returns 6/4/16 to 5/4/19, divided by the number of months of trading behind those figures, will form the basis of calculating monthly self employed payouts. A short basis period won’t lead to a lower average payout.

Fortunately I (almost) completely missed this thread. I can't cope with two on the same subject! :cry::drink: :shootself

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I just made my first 'furlough claim' through HMRC online, for a client. I avoided the first day yesterday, to allow for the stampede to pass.

It took just 10 minutes to gather the information they require, then another 10 to logon and make the claim. At the moment you claim for say March and April, then May's once we're in it, similarly for June.

Surprisingly, a very simple and user-friendly portal. It did briefly crash three times saying "bad data", I think only because I'd left the screen to check some facts (it was too sensitive), whereupon you simply login again and you find that most of your data's been saved.

Rating 9/10 :smile:

Money to hit bank accounts within 6 business days of the claim, purportedly.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Looks like 'hospitality' is not covered - but funeral homes are ?!

My mate has an events business with 14 full time staff. Claim refused as not a covered business so he's going to have to let them all go

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

My mate has an events business with 14 full time staff. Claim refused as not a covered business so he's going to have to let them all go

They are determined to destroy hospitality.

Pubs potentially not open till Dec and the above.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I thought they could claim for all staff on their payroll as at 29 February (since extended to 19 March).

The only element excluded - tips, tronc payments and service charges.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I thought they could claim for all staff on their payroll as at 29 February.

The only element excluded - tips, tronc payments and service charges.

I think it was around business rate relief and grants

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They need to put pressure on the land lords charging rent as well.

Some breweries/owners are still charging.

I have a significant commercial property owning contact, who’s listening to the various pleas from tenants, doing a tiny bit of background checking (a couple lied, they have huge reserves and their businesses are little effected by covid19), then he’s amicably giving rent holidays and payment deferrals. Greatly appreciated by the honest businessmen struggling.

That doesn’t surprise me, big/medium sized pub owning brewerys have a reputation for bullying, as well as that old chestnut of wanting to get rid of a pub altogether to make a killing in a conversion to dwellings for sale.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I have a significant commercial property owning contact, who’s listening to the various pleas from tenants, doing a tiny bit of background checking (a couple lied, they have huge reserves and their businesses are little effected by covid19), then he’s amicably giving rent holidays and payment deferrals. Greatly appreciated by the honest businessmen struggling.

That doesn’t surprise me, big/medium sized pub owning brewerys have a reputation for bullying, as well as that old chestnut of wanting to get rid of a pub altogether to make a killing in a conversion to dwellings for sale.

You won’t be shocked to know Joe Lewis owns one refusing to budge, but your contact sounds like he is doing the right thing.

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
I just made my first 'furlough claim' through HMRC online, for a client. I avoided the first day yesterday, to allow for the stampede to pass.

It took just 10 minutes to gather the information they require, then another 10 to logon and make the claim. At the moment you claim for say March and April, then May's once we're in it, similarly for June.

Surprisingly, a very simple and user-friendly portal. It did briefly crash three times saying "bad data", I think only because I'd left the screen to check some facts (it was too sensitive), whereupon you simply login again and you find that most of your data's been saved.

Rating 9/10 :smile:

Money to hit bank accounts within 6 business days of the claim, purportedly.

Likewise, I filed a furlough claim today and was surprised by its relatively user-friendly format. I was online for quite a while and it didn't crash once.

As you suggest, it's wise to have all filing data ready in advance (company name, UTR, bank details, furloughed staff details, National Insurance numbers etc) so that you don't have to faff around and look that up once you've logged on.

I'd worked out the numbers in advance but also noted that there was a helpful link enabling you to do a "dry run" to calculate payments due to you.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/work-ou...-through-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme

It won't allow you to claim beyond 14 days in advance, but that was fine as I was only covering March and April.

I'll see what turns up in the bank account in six days' time!

All in all, I thought it worked quite well. A rating of 9/10 was my experience too.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
government IT success shock :ohmy:

also heard the grants distributed by councils was painless.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Yet Miss WS who works part time in a restaurant has been told by her employer that they have successfully claimed for her ???

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yet Miss WS who works part time in a restaurant has been told by her employer that they have successfully claimed for her ???

I guess Events organisers / companies are viewed differently. But this was around business rate relief & business grants NOT furlough

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I guess Events organisers / companies are viewed differently. But this was around business rate relief & business grants NOT furlough

Apologies - will teach me to skim read and assume all posts relate to the thread title :doh:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
government IT success shock :ohmy:

also heard the grants distributed by councils was painless.

I get the feeling both were designed / organised 'in house' - although I'm not sure. But I've always found HMRC far more user-friendly than other government sites. It's when they farm stuff out to the likes of Crapita that it all goes wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports