Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Government’s 80% wage pledge

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
They said as much here, though as usual it is subject to conditions and jumping through hoops..
A friend of mine has a little cafe which I go to every morning on the way to work for a coffee.
I mentioned it to him as it has been all over the news and he informed me that it is only for cafes with 4 employees or over, he has 3 so won't qualify.
Bloody ridiculous if you ask me, he will probably close his business because of this.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Re Shelf stackers, The government HAS to do something for the self employed and I am sure that they will. Anything they do can only really be based on historical, declared earnings. I don't see any other way of doing it.

This bit made me laugh, sorry mate, no safety net for us I am afraid.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The government HAS to do something for the self employed and I am sure that they will. Anything they do can only really be based on historical, declared earnings. I don't see any other way of doing it.

That will screwed a few self employed I know ;-)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
By the way, anyone who has variable hours will have their 'February ( shortest month ) actual hours worked' taken as the amount of hours they work per month.

Source : moneybox ( or similar program, memory fails ) expert, radio 4, Saturday.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I Don’t get the second job thing - I’m not complaining.

But a lot of Virgin Workers have picked up second jobs in Super markets and are therefore key workers.

If they get the 80 percent they will have to give that up which will put pressure on shops.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I always love a story with a moral :wink:

Those only putting minimum NI contributions through and taking the rest in cash will be up shit creek sooner rather than later

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
What do you expect from one of the biggest tossers in the country ?

Still everyone will know which businesses to boycott when things get back to normal

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Last edited:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It’s now up to all employers to do use their heads and at the same time do the honourable thing, at potentially zero cost to them.

If they cut hours, they can still pay the 80% (or 100% if they can afford it) of the original hours gross pay for that employee. Someone can be completely or partly at home not working, on 80% of their original pre-crisis pay, and it won’t cost the employer a penny.

Problem is the words honourable employers. Both my wife and daughter, who work for the same company are getting a letter tomorrow laying them off tomorrow. At least today was payday. Unfortunately they have a laying off clause in their contract which their employer is going to use which avoids the 80% payment. All employees will be gone and he will basically mothball the business.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Problem is the words honourable employers. Both my wife and daughter, who work for the same company are getting a letter tomorrow laying them off tomorrow. At least today was payday. Unfortunately they have a laying off clause in their contract which their employer is going to use which avoids the 80% payment. All employees will be gone and he will basically mothball the business.

This is so wrong as the Government will pay 80% of their wages so why are they doing this ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Still everyone will know which businesses to boycott when things get back to normal

I’ve been boycotting Wetherspoons for quite a long time already. He threatened his staff regularly & withdrew a Christmas bonus from one pub because they refused to put his propaganda beer mats out.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
16 of my 17 staff and myself have become furloughed as of 5.30pm today on 80% pay. The 1 has been temporarily moved to another branch and is staying on full pay.

Been told by the hierarchy that we must be available to return at short notice if the business needs any of us with return to full pay when this happens.

Thursday last week all managers in the group (200 branches) were informed that there was a distinct possibility that there would be many staff being laid off, I’m happy that all of my team have job security for when we get to the other side of this unprecedented situation.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

If P45’s are issued you’re quite right.

Which would be madness by the business, are they thick? They can keep on your wife and daughter on the books at 80% wages, at zero cost to the business. Keeping good people, creating a bit of goodwill, saving the hassle of recruiting when the crisis is over, and at the same time seeing employees alright for money. Taking a few minutes a month to run payroll. It can still be mothballed.

If the terminations transpire, very sorry to hear that for your family.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
16 of my 17 staff and myself have become furloughed as of 5.30pm today on 80% pay. The 1 has been temporarily moved to another branch and is staying on full pay.

Been told by the hierarchy that we must be available to return at short notice if the business needs any of us with return to full pay when this happens.

Thursday last week all managers in the group (200 branches) were informed that there was a distinct possibility that there would be many staff being laid off, I’m happy that all of my team have job security for when we get to the other side of this unprecedented situation.

An intelligent employer.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
An intelligent employer.

Quite a few business will severely regret their actions 6 months or so from now, still on a positive note there is a market for consultancy during pandemics

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here