Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Google Nexus 4 thread

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Anything that relies on Flash so the ones I've noticed so far are iPlayer & Media Player from the BBC and SkyGo. Also apps like Sky Sports just crash whenever I try and load them. Frustrating but I've got my iPad so I just use them on there in the meantime.
SkyGo should be working now.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
SkyGo should be working now.

Cheers - saw earlier on Twitter that it had been released and immediately downloaded it! Now just need iPlayer to be updated :D

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Cheers - saw earlier on Twitter that it had been released and immediately downloaded it! Now just need iPlayer to be updated :D

You can get iPlayer to work, you just need to download the app outside of the Play Store. Search for the Nexus 7 thread, I posted the link on there

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
You can get iPlayer to work, you just need to download the app outside of the Play Store. Search for the Nexus 7 thread, I posted the link on there

I did try that but it didn't work - maybe I didn't do it right!

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011

I did try that but it didn't work - maybe I didn't do it right!

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I think this will be my next phone. I can't justify spending on an iphone5, and I can cover the cost with my Xmas bonus hopefully. Do any phone shops have them in so I can have a play around with one?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
My Nexus 4 finally arrived today. How the bloody hell do I get 13 year's worth of contact info from my old 'regular' SIM on to the new Micro SIM?

Is your phone an older android phone? If so, set up a Google account, get your phone to sync contacts (then they are all stored by Google online) and then when you sign in to Google on the nexus, your contacts should sync.

Flex Your Head

Is your phone an older android phone? If so, set up a Google account, get your phone to sync contacts (then they are all stored by Google online) and then when you sign in to Google on the nexus, your contacts should sync.
Cheers mate. I've tried that to no avail. Synced contacts on my old HTC - and have synced the new Nexus - but it's still not showing any numbers other than my work desk and my partner's mobile and her work number too.

Actually, I've just tried again and I now have just 19 from 200+ numbers synced over. I think I probably used to save people to my phone rather than my SIM and that's where the problem is.

Sigh and tsk!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Cheers mate. I've tried that to no avail. Synced contacts on my old HTC - and have synced the new Nexus - but it's still not showing any numbers other than my work desk and my partner's mobile and her work number too.

Actually, I've just tried again and I now have just 19 from 200+ numbers synced over. I think I probably used to save people to my phone rather than my SIM and that's where the problem is.

Sigh and tsk!

On your old phone you need to import the contacts from your sim first. Detailed step by step lifted from another site and reproduced below;

First backup your sim contacts
* select people app on phone
* menu , import/export , export to SD card , select SIM
* Note file name displayed and OK on confirmation
* If required repeat for contacts stored on phone , but select PHONE

Now to move from sim to Google
* Select people app on phone
* Click menu and select import/export
* select import from SIM card
* When prompted create the contact under account 'Google'
* If required repeat for contacts stored on phone 'Import from phone'

Now all contacts on sim will now also be on your Google account (see addresses in people - there will be two for each one imported).

Flex Your Head

On your old phone you need to import the contacts from your sim first. Detailed step by step lifted from another site and reproduced below;

First backup your sim contacts
* select people app on phone
* menu , import/export , export to SD card , select SIM
* Note file name displayed and OK on confirmation
* If required repeat for contacts stored on phone , but select PHONE

Now to move from sim to Google
* Select people app on phone
* Click menu and select import/export
* select import from SIM card
* When prompted create the contact under account 'Google'
* If required repeat for contacts stored on phone 'Import from phone'

Now all contacts on sim will now also be on your Google account (see addresses in people - there will be two for each one imported).

Thanks for the tip mate. All going well until I get to the last bit - 'Import from Phone'. That option just isn't there.

Grrrrr!

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I'm been looking to get a nexus 4 but they never seem to be in stock on the play devices store. Anyone had any luck with this route so far?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I'm been looking to get a nexus 4 but they never seem to be in stock on the play devices store. Anyone had any luck with this route so far?

My brother and his wife have just received theirs from the play store. They ordered a week or two before Christmas so they are available if you are prepared to wait. Do you have the option of placing an order?

I was able to place an order in mid-December and miraculously my phone turned up almost immediately. Distribution was very patchy so it was purely luck of the draw.

Apparently they've just come back into stock on the play store in North America so expect them on the website here relatively soon.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I was able to place an order in mid-December and miraculously my phone turned up almost immediately. Distribution was very patchy so it was purely luck of the draw.

I reckon you were very lucky as thinking about the timing, my brother ordered his about the tenth of December. They arrived last week.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Still unavailable to order and even when it does come back in stock the turn around time is likely to be stupid.

I've all but given up now. Contract is up next month so I'm due a new phone but I'm not paying network prices for a Nexus 4. Surely somebody out there will drop a new greatest ever phone in the coming weeks and I can snap that badboy up.

Undoubtedly a great handset but both Google and LG grossly underestimated demand and the huge lead times have just put me off. They're not making it more exclusive and desirable, they're just making it too difficult to get hold of so people end up looking elsewhere instead.

In short, its been a f*** up and I hope the big G learn from it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here