Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Good Cider/Perry/Scrumpy Guide

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
If you go west along the A31 (the road that takes over at the other end of the M27), you will come to the Birley Services (Shell garages on either side of the road, with a closed Little Chef on the Eastbound side). Take the slip road to the roundabout at the bottom and turn left. This leads you to a farm track that leads to a farm where you will think you are back in the pre-war period. There is a collection of old tractors and other farm machinery, which looks like it belongs in a museum. Some of them are still working, though. In one corner is a barn, where old-fashioned cider is made. I would recommend a visit on your way to Bournemouth if you're going to the away game there, but make sure you have another driver, as the stuff certainly packs a punch. My mate and I were on our way to a wedding in Dorset, and muggins had agreed to drive. Oh well.

ezzoud

Jul 5, 2003
What are the prices like at Middle Farm, is it expensive?

Big range of prices, if you are talking self served out of the barrel , prices start at about £1.70ish per pint up to about £3.00 IIRC (still drinking my own homemade brew this year so haven't been down there for a while, will do so when I've got enough apples for them to press for this year's vintage:))

I don't normally buy bottled cider there but I have bought real ale and don't remember it being particularly expensive

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Savanna Dry, currently £1.25 a bottle at the Hollingbury Asda.

I quite like it.

Good tips everyone. Keep them coming. Will venture to Middle Farm when I have some time.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Savanna Dry, currently £1.25 a bottle at the Hollingbury Asda.

I quite like it.

Good tips everyone. Keep them coming. Will venture to Middle Farm when I have some time.

Too sweet for me.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm thinking of making a batch of Turbo Cider soon. I made quite a lot of it a few years back, and it's lovely.

The reason I stopped it before was the cost of the apple juice to make it, but with Tesco now doing 1.5l of apple juice for 63p it's viable again.

http://www.brewuk.co.uk/store/recipes-turbo

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Over here a bit of Black Dragon Gwynt Y Ddraig (Dragon's breath to you!) goes down well, especially as we have had a Summer to speak of.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I was taken on a tasting of Burrow Hill cider farm near Taunton on an evening in May. All part of cross-European busines meeting. The well-lubricated owner gave the most gloriously non pc tour and the cider (and cider brandy) was tremendous and free flowing also we ate in the Glastonbury Cider Bus which lives there. Well worth a visit. Also another vote here for polypins of Chucklehead.

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
I'm a fan of Gwatkins' range of ciders from Much Marcle in Herefordshire. There is normally a selection at Middle Farm (a great place to spend some time anyway)
I'll be stocking up soon for the coming festivities with ales, ciders and local produce from the farm shop.

Good choice. Gwatkins have won Champion Cider of Britain twice (and champion perry at least once) so they obviously know what their doing. Slight correction though, Westons are Much Marcle, Gwatkins are based in Abbeydore.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Just opened a bottle of Thatchers Old Rascal (4.5%) on offer at Sainsbury's £1.51 a bottle, Shame I only bought one as it's a bit Moorish, Got a couple of other bottles to try this afternoon, Sheppy's Dabinet Apple (7.2%) and Sheppy's Vintage Reserve Oak Matured (7.4%) that were both on offer as well. Things could get a bit wobbly today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here