Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Good Cider/Perry/Scrumpy Guide

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
The Thatchers range is probably difficult to beat really, about eight bottled varieties plus the variable scrumpy.....and its all grown only about four miles from my house.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The Thatchers range is probably difficult to beat really, about eight bottled varieties plus the variable scrumpy.....and its all grown only about four miles from my house.

We (my wife and I) love Thatchers Katy in bottles, very nice. Thatchers Gold on draught is about as close to perfection as a pint as you can get.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Another Thatchers fan here.
If i want refreshing its Gold.
If i want a strong one its Katy.
Gradually getting through the range, vintage, cox etc all nice.
Trouble is once i get hooked i dont experiment with other brands, which i should like Westons and Aspalls, I am sure they are nice.

Quite like Thatchers myself. I want something that is nice and refreshing, not looking to get sh*t faced at all - after years of drinking almost nothing, I'm now officially a lightweight.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
We (my wife and I) love Thatchers Katy in bottles, very nice. Thatchers Gold on draught is about as close to perfection as a pint as you can get.

I play a poky 9 hole golf course on dartmoor just outside plymouth, there is no clubhouse, but there is a pub at the entrance, they sell thatchers gold on draught.
We play 9 holes go to the pub, 2 pints of gold and a bucket of chips, then play another 9.
When you are hot and thirsty i do not think there is a more refreshing drink, it really goes down a treat.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
This is a repeat of what I said on the Craft Beer Thread, but is now more relevant thanks to this being a cider thread: Gospel Green is very nice indeed. Trying to buy a case of 12, no response by email from the producers, will possibly annoy them by ringing them up - i'm sure they've got bigger fish to fry - but I need that cider! Otherwise, Portslade Wild Beast - sounds unlikely, but tastes great. Middle Farm is the place, as Vegster says.

The Winehouse in Shoreham occasionally stock Gospel Green cyder. Last time I asked they told me supply was erratic as the producer want to remain small scale. Agreed it is superb though.

I have polished off a fair few bottles of Katy this summer, but as the weather cools, I tend to lose interest in cider and my remaining stock will probably end up in the cooking pot.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
@Bozza is a 'Cider Monster' - living in Somerset does help I guess.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Aspall's Draught or Premier Cru for me.

Well, if they're all out of White Lightning anyway.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Aspall's Draught or Premier Cru for me.

Well, if they're all out of White Lightning anyway.

Their Organic is nice as well.

Here's a team photo:

D7482273-FD62-817C-F3B7934AD02D7B88.jpg

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
I do some work in Dorset and stay in Swanage a couple of times a year. The Red Lion pub there has a superb collection of ciders (and real ales).

Tried at least 10 varieties last time I was there but my favourite was the Orchard Pig Navel Gazer. If you are ever in that neck of the woods I would highly recommend the place!

http://www.redlionswanage.co.uk/

theboybilly

I'm a fan of Gwatkins' range of ciders from Much Marcle in Herefordshire. There is normally a selection at Middle Farm (a great place to spend some time anyway)
I'll be stocking up soon for the coming festivities with ales, ciders and local produce from the farm shop.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
What are the prices like at Middle Farm, is it expensive?

theboybilly

Have you tried 'Anchored in Worthing' in West Buildings? I'm thinking of popping along to this little bar in the near future. Shoreham is hopefully going to get a new Real Ale & Cider pub in the High Street later in the year. There's a council debate on in this coming Monday as the usual muppets have objected :tosser:

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Have you tried 'Anchored in Worthing' in West Buildings? I'm thinking of popping along to this little bar in the near future. Shoreham is hopefully going to get a new Real Ale & Cider pub in the High Street later in the year. There's a council debate on in this coming Monday as the usual muppets have objected :tosser:

Nope not tried there.. I'll give it a go the next time I get a pass out for the evening.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I do some work in Dorset and stay in Swanage a couple of times a year. The Red Lion pub there has a superb collection of ciders (and real ales).

Tried at least 10 varieties last time I was there but my favourite was the Orchard Pig Navel Gazer. If you are ever in that neck of the woods I would highly recommend the place!

http://www.redlionswanage.co.uk/

Good pub the Red Lion, bet you dont want to go back to Cov after staying in Swanage!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here