• Other

Votes: 29 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I actually look at his policies.

And he will do that.....

Which specific policies will 'turn us into Venezuela'?

• The strengthening of worker rights?
  • The investment in health and social care?
  • The investment in low carbon technology and infrastructure?
  • The investment in social housing?
  • The support for effective corporate taxation?

Or something else: https://labour.org.uk/issues/

Thanks in advance.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
pp.JPG

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Which specific policies will 'turn us into Venezuela'?

• The strengthening of worker rights?
  • The investment in health and social care?
  • The investment in low carbon technology and infrastructure?
  • The investment in social housing?
  • The support for effective corporate taxation?

Or something else: https://labour.org.uk/issues/

Thanks in advance.

it depends if the "investment" is economically viable, or simply spending on tick with little to no hope of actual return. that how Venezuela screwed their economy, spending lots on the assumption of returns that never happened. it can be done, needs to be matched with wholesale increases of taxation to support it.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Imagine being poor, working class, disabled, having children, of an ethnic minority and considering voting Tory ? The definition of being an absolute f**kwit

I despair of the millions of working class Tories/Brexiters who seem to think that public-school-educated millionaires like Johnson, Farage or Rees-Smugg care about them (just like the 'left-behind' in the US worship the billionaire property tycoon Trump), and will, post-Brexit, suddenly make employers pay decent wages, compel local authorities to build affordable housing, revive our run-down public services, and generally take action to end the scandal of the sixth-richest-county-in-the-world being blighted by the increase in Food Banks, rough sleepers, etc.

The tragic irony is that it is the policies pursued by ALL governments (including New Labour) of the last 30 years which have created the economic and social problems and divisions - 'Broken Britain' - which fuelled much of the support for Brexit. Yet the likes of Johnson and Rees-Mogg are the most enthusiastic supporters of these policies, and want more of the same - but intensified.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
it depends if the "investment" is economically viable, or simply spending on tick with little to no hope of actual return. that how Venezuela screwed their economy, spending lots on the assumption of returns that never happened. it can be done, needs to be matched with wholesale increases of taxation to support it.

Well that will all depend on whether our economy grows, or takes one of the many flavours of a massive kicking currently being offered by certain groups then :wink:

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Vote Tory if you love the idea of working until you're 75 and then enjoying a couple of years of poverty on your meagre state pension before the cold embrace of death takes you. Life expectancy is falling under the Tories mind, so maybe it won't even be a couple of years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Well that will all depend on whether our economy grows, or takes one of the many flavours of a massive kicking currently being offered by certain groups then :wink:

Yet our 'weak' economy can afford to pay £ multi-million salaries to corporate bosses and £ multi-million dividends to shareholders - odd that we never hear the top 1% being told that their eye-watering incomes and dividends are unaffordable, and are impoverishing the rest of British society.

Yet the moment anyone suggests even the mildest of egalitarian or redistributive policies to slightly reduce inequality and tackle poverty, the cry goes up "We can't afford it; any attempt at pursuing such policies will bankrupt the country"!

It's a complete con; ordinary working people constantly promised jam tomorrow, while bosses, landlords and shareholders gorge on champagne and caviar today, and everyday

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

all of the current forecasts for the economy predict that it will grow, by how much changes depending on events. one would hope investment would take this in to account.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Imagine being poor, working class, disabled, having children, of an ethnic minority and considering voting Tory ? The definition of being an absolute f**kwit

I could completely understand why a poor, Jewish, working class, disabled, having children, of an ethnic minority person, could consider voting Tory .... to prevent a party described as institutionally antisemitic by the Jewish Labour Movement gaining power.

A better description of an absolute f**kwit would be a person who voted for Brexit and who supports no-deal voting Labour .... remind you of anyone?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I've done the same to this poll as what I'll do at the Election, not vote.
I've tried numerous times in the past to listen to what each candidate has to say and frankly I don't understand any of it. The best I can muster is an abstention

On that basis, I assume you never engage in any discussions about anything that politics affects!

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
The Tories have doubled the National Debt, and Johnson has wasted £100M on his Get Ready for Brexit 31st October campaign alone.

Austerity has achieved nothing, and the only people the Tories care about are the rich tax avoiders/evaders.

Not to mention the 3 billion wasted on the DUP...

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
All the major players can talk all they like, make promise after promise re NHS Education and policing etc It makes absolutely no difference to the way people will vote in this election.

We all know how people will vote or certainly 90% of people and that will be if they are remain or leave. Tory leave, Labour who knows... Lib Dem Remain.

I can only see a Labour/Lib Dem mashup personally... and that does not fill me with any joy at all

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

I will hazard a guess that the Labour spending pledges are significantly more carefully costed (including assumptions about returns on productive government investment as well as increased taxes) than the increasingly random promises beng thrown out by Johnson and co as they realise that 'five more years of austerity' is not a promise to get them re-elected.

IFS said not so long ago that the Tories are close to matching the (much derided from the right) pledges in the Labour 2017 manifesto, yet still seem reluctant to admit they'd have to raise taxes. In fact they are still talking about tax cuts...so who is now talking about magic money trees? (please don't anyone start trying to use the debunked 'laffer curve' argument).

https://www.cityam.com/government-almost-matching-labours-spending-pledges-says-ifs/

Either:

A. they are talking bollocks about their future plans or
B. the austerity they have inflicted on the country was, after all, a political choice and not a fiscal necessity or
C. Both of the above

I am going C.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I could completely understand why a poor, Jewish, working class, disabled, having children, of an ethnic minority person, could consider voting Tory .... to prevent a party described as institutionally antisemitic by the Jewish Labour Movement gaining power.

A better description of an absolute f**kwit would be a person who voted for Brexit and who supports no-deal voting Labour .... remind you of anyone?

As you feel so strongly about racial/religious discrimination, I trust you also condemn the Islamophobia which allegedly exists in the Conservative Party, and will not vote for them either. Even the former Conservative Party chairwoman, Baroness Warsi, has condemned the scale of anti-Muslim sentiment and rhetoric in the Conservative Party - with Johnson himself making derogatory comments a few months ago about the appearance of Muslim women. But apparently that was just a bit of harmless 'Boris bantz' which only the 'PC brigade' could object to.

Somehow, though, I suspect you're not really, genuinely, concerned about anti-Semitism in the Labour Party, but merely pretend to be as a stick to beat Corbyn with, and score political points.

Also, some people choose to define any criticism of Israel's stance towards Palestine as 'anti-semitic' - even though many Jews also criticise Israel's policy towards Palestine.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

You ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports