Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] The Friday Debate - Brown Sauce?

Gary Hart's Stalker

Jul 17, 2013
Gary Hart's Bush
WARNING - controversial message incoming.

For years, I assumed the best and only ketchup is Heinz.

Not so. Tiptree is a level above.

P.S. Bacon sandwiches don't need sauce. What they do need though is mushrooms. A classic combo, like Estupinan and Mitoma, or Gilmour and Gross.
Whilst I agree with you that bacon sandwiches don't need sauce, my preference would be a fried or poached egg with a runny yolk 😋

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Brown for adults, red for the old cistern lids.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Just gonna throw in a curve ball.......HP Fruity Sauce - best of both brown and ketchup!
Prefer the classic except at Christmas, where the old lady always makes an unbelievable bubble & squeek from all the Christmas vegies/spuds and that with some cold Turkey and the fruity brown on boxing day is a winner.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I have liked brown sauce for as long as can remember, always got HP in our house.
I don’t eat meat but did enjoy bacon and brown sauce sandwiches when I did.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I don't know whether to be appalled or give that a whirl tomorrow. You'd certainly lost me until the Reggae Reggae.
I don't do butter, so often use salad cream to moisten a sandwich up a bit, when required. Yesterday I had cheese and salami, with salad cream and mustard – it works.

I don't do ketchup, either, so it's always brown sauce (HP) on most things that require saucing. Big fan of L&P, too.

Do you have brown sauce with your tofu? ??? :lol:

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
Have never liked brown sauce always been a ketchup man until i discovered Tiptree brown sauce. Nothing i have tasted compares . And I also do find the HP/supermarket ones to be a vinegar tasting.

Thanks im now really wanting a sausage roll with lashings of brown sauce !

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Have never liked brown sauce always been a ketchup man until i discovered Tiptree brown sauce. Nothing i have tasted compares . And I also do find the HP/supermarket ones to be a vinegar tasting.

Thanks im now really wanting a sausage roll with lashings of brown sauce !
I see another thumbs up for the Tiptree brand - both ketchup and brown sauce. Just saying.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Brown all the way if it's a bacon or sausage sandwich or a FEB. Tomato ketchup for pretty much everything else. I know there are some weirdos on here who like Fry's Turkish Delight so it will not suprise me if there are some who prefer tomato ketchup.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Brown sauce for me, especially on scrambled eggs.
Maybe due to years of living ‘up North’
I put smoken salmon in my scrambled egg. Toast a bagle, scrambed egg with some salmon mixed in and a sprig of parsely on top. Easy but healthu and tasty breakfast.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'm a brown sauce advocate, normally we just have a bottle of HP in the larder, but that's probably simply because that's the easiest to find in the supermarket where we shop. Pretty much any make would do for me.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I don't have brown sauce myself but I am a bit of an ingredient comparison dullard and wondered if the spirit vinegar content was less in the Tiptree brand which a few on here are recommending as the superior product.

Indeed there is less spirit vinegar in Tiptee brown sauce but the sugar content is a staggering 40% compared to the 16% in Daddies.....
20231027_151419.jpg

20231027_151400.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here