Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] The Friday Debate - Brown Sauce?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just had a lovely bacon sarnie to get rid of the end of the hangover from yesterday's session. With, of course, brown sauce. We currently have Daddies in, though HP is more than acceptable too.

My daughter (who normally has a good palate and isn't a fussy eater) recently tried some on a CHIP and declared that it was 'basically just vinegar' and 'minging'. Having just checked the ingredients the number one is, indeed, spirit vinegar.

So, are you a fan? If so what on (bacon and sausage sarnies for me and with a FulL EnGlisH)? HP or Daddies? Any supermarket own GEMS out there or are they all the vinegariest of the basically just vinegar?

???

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Just had a lovely bacon sarnie to get rid of the end of the hangover from yesterday's session. With, of course, brown sauce. We currently have Daddies in, though HP is more than acceptable too.

My daughter (who normally has a good palate and isn't a fussy eater) recently tried some on a CHIP and declared that it was 'basically just vinegar' and 'minging'. Having just checked the ingredients the number one is, indeed, spirit vinegar.

So, are you a fan? If so what on (bacon and sausage sarnies for me and with a FulL EnGlisH)? HP or Daddies? Any supermarket own GEMS out there or are they all the vinegariest of the basically just vinegar?

???
Great question.

Just met 2 mates for a full english, has to be brown.

Sausage sarnie - Brown
Bacon Sarnie - then it's red for me (though brown will suffice if no red)

HP the light blue one

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Daddies/HP are favourite. Seem to recall a Branston one too, but any will do.

An absolute must on Scrambled egg/Omelettes as well as Sausage/bacon sarnies.
Also partial to a bit on Beans on toast.
Don't think it really adds anything to chips though.

Two of my Northern colleagues recently confessed to being partial to Brown sauce sandwiches!!!
Bizarre lot.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Mayonnaise.

or Worcester Sauce.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
As I've got older, I use far more HP sauce. Only thing left with ketchup is a bacon sarny.

I'm hungry now :down:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Love a bit of brown sauce.

In fact, my breakfast this morning was a courgette and brown sauce bap. Not quite as good as bacon but you've got to work with what you've got.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The brown sauce comes out intermittently at Mahone Towers.

Meals that demand it:
Cauliflower cheese
Lasagne
Fried eggs on toast.

Bacon sandwiches need English mustard, mayonnaise and a little bit of Reggae Reggae.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Used to be tomato every time, but these days I find that good butter, good bacon, and fantastic bread needs nothing else at all.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The brown sauce comes out intermittently at Mahone Towers.

Meals that demand it:
Cauliflower cheese
Lasagne
Fried eggs on toast.

Bacon sandwiches need English mustard, mayonnaise and a little bit of Reggae Reggae.
I don't know whether to be appalled or give that a whirl tomorrow. You'd certainly lost me until the Reggae Reggae.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Brown sauce on our freezer food weekly meal which is chips, baked beans and either breaded cod or chicken kiev

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
WARNING - controversial message incoming.

For years, I assumed the best and only ketchup is Heinz.

Not so. Tiptree is a level above.

P.S. Bacon sandwiches don't need sauce. What they do need though is mushrooms. A classic combo, like Estupinan and Mitoma, or Gilmour and Gross.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
brown sauce does need some meat to accompany. wouldn't have it with chips myself, that's red sauce or mayo territory.

scooter1

How soon is now?
WARNING - controversial message incoming.

For years, I assumed the best and only ketchup is Heinz.

Not so. Tiptree is a level above.

P.S. Bacon sandwiches don't need sauce. What they do need though is mushrooms. A classic combo, like Estupinan and Mitoma, or Gilmour and Gross.
Definitely the bold bit.

In regards the thread itself, IMHO brown sauce is nasty stuff. I'm not a huge fan of ketchup either

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here