Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Flumes King Alfred.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Aint that the truth :thumbsup:

Being brought up in Haywards Heath, a twice yearly trip to the flumes early to mid 80s was a real highlight. The Black Hole was awesome!!

Nowadays, some of the rides they have at water parks in European holiday destinations make the King Alfred flumes look like rides for 4 year olds, but at the time they were FANTASTIC

My memory is obviously playing tricks with me as I've just read that they didn't open until 1986, so obviously I wasn't having fun there early 80s!!!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I'm pretty sure u had to go head first. Have a strong memory of dunking you mat in the foot swells at the top to get it as wet as possible. Before laying it on a angled slope and then jumping on it hoping to shoot down full speed.

It was an art to hit it perfectly as often you would mis the jump and half land on the mat which left for a slower start or on occasions the mat shooting off and you throwing yourself down to chase it. However best case you shot off like a mother ****er.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm pretty sure u had to go head first. Have a strong memory of dunking you mat in the foot swells at the top to get it as wet as possible. Before laying it on a angled slope and then jumping on it hoping to shoot down full speed.

It was an art to hit it perfectly as often you would mis the jump and half land on the mat which left for a slower start or on occasions the mat shooting off and you throwing yourself down to chase it. However best case you shot off like a mother ****er.

I'm pretty sure you're right. I remember that as my technique too.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Memories of many a visit for a special treat or birthday party! I'd forgotten about the angled launch pads at the top; however, the feeling of having been tear gassed after ascending the stairs in a haze of chlorine for the 15th time in an hour has lived with me for the past 25 years - that cannot have been good for young lungs!

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
The flumes were fantastic. Spent many a happy Sunday afternoons with my brothers, bashing the hell out of each other on them. I can remember the excitement of seeing them being built and counting down to them being opened to the public.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Does anyone remember the massive inflatable assault course they used to put up at Prince Regents?

Now that was amazing!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
The flumes were fantastic. Spent many a happy Sunday afternoons with my brothers, bashing the hell out of each other on them. I can remember the excitement of seeing them being built and counting down to them being opened to the public.

Bit gay.

Dumseagull

Jun 13, 2012
Lancing
Not a chance.

It's asbestos filled and the whole area has now been blocked off.

It's minging down there anyway, you wouldn't want to have a look.

I seriously would LOVE to explore down there! Urban exploring interests me anyway but the nostalgia would make it even better. id pay serious money to have a nose around!!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
You need to bite the bullet and head for Bognor Butlins.
In fairness their water park is very good, it's just everything else that's the problem.

There's 3 or 4 flumes, the main one has a massive bowl at the end.
The theory is, and I successfully proved it, that you spin round like a roulette ball before gravity spits you out of the base.
Alternatively if you catch it wrong or don't have the weight to pin you to the sides you go straight through and plunge straight into the pool at warp factor 6.

True. Butlins is a dump but the water park is really good. I always seem to drop out that bowl head first even if I try and turn myself around. Good lols.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

I think you are right too. I remember the art of holding the mat in both hands upwards then diving foward and wrapping it around you slightly. I am in my late 30s but I still bloomin love water slides.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I'm going to get flamed for saying this possibly even banned; but as a child in the early to mid nineties the best place bar none for water park was waterworld in Croydon. (It was located almost opposite the airport building) Any friend who had a party at the king Alfred; as opposed to there would be laughed at for weeks after in the playground.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You need to bite the bullet and head for Bognor Butlins.
In fairness their water park is very good, it's just everything else that's the problem.

There's 3 or 4 flumes, the main one has a massive bowl at the end.
The theory is, and I successfully proved it, that you spin round like a roulette ball before gravity spits you out of the base.
Alternatively if you catch it wrong or don't have the weight to pin you to the sides you go straight through and plunge straight into the pool at warp factor 6.

We took the kids last year. There seemed to be a succession of pie loving munters who had mastered neither technique and had to be popped free like a swelled cork from a cheap bottle of Cava by one of the young, thin, muscular life guards. I'm presuming they were doing it on purpose.

Ruffy

Jun 24, 2014
I'm going to get flamed for saying this possibly even banned; but as a child in the early to mid nineties the best place bar none for water park was waterworld in Croydon. (It was located almost opposite the airport building) Any friend who had a party at the king Alfred; as opposed to there would be laughed at for weeks after in the playground.

Always wanted to go there as a kid..... too far away though unfortunately. .... :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here