Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Flumes King Alfred.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I won a competition and was one of the first 20 kids to use it - it opened in 1986 and closed in 2000 due to weather damage and health and safety issues.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
As a kid a soaking wet mat, bigger than yourself was quite an effort, add to that tip toeing everywhere as you didnt want to commit your full foot to the rancid floors and the rusting staircase.

still as rank as they were never had more fun for an hour or so on the flumes with a couple of friends.

Summed up perfectly.

Loved the flumes and I wouldn't be ashamed to get my wobble on if they re-opened.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Loved them, Broke a tooth going down the black hole. Happy days. I remember going on them when the were new, it was so great having something so fun close to where you lived.

I took my daughter to a water park in Bracknell called the Coral Reef, the health and safety now at these places is ridiculous. The amount of time you queue just for one ride, because of the amount of time they make people wait between each person going down, just ruins any fun. So glad I was a child in the 80's.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Loved them, Broke a tooth going down the black hole. Happy days. I remember going on them when the were new, it was so great having something so fun close to where you lived.

I took my daughter to a water park in Bracknell called the Coral Reef, the health and safety now at these places is ridiculous. The amount of time you queue just for one ride, because of the amount of time they make people wait between each person going down, just ruins any fun. So glad I was a child in the 80's.

How did you manage that?

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I dont remember going down on cushions, I used to go down on an Arched back to increase the velocity

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
They were great fun. A shame Brighton and Hove haven't got something like that now or even bigger and better. Would be a sound investment in the right location. Have been to an indoor waterpark near to my home a couple of times recently. Still get the same rush in my 30's. One flume with a sheer drop springs to mind. Takes a while to get all the water out of my nostrils afterwards :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I dont remember going down on cushions, I used to go down on an Arched back to increase the velocity

Clearly never went on the flumes in Hove then, you would have come off cut to peices, I remember falling off the mats pissing around and going down normally it left you in bits. added to all the fun.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I won a competition and was one of the first 20 kids to use it - it opened in 1986 and closed in 2000 due to weather damage and health and safety issues.
With your luck, I hope you do the lottery!!!

Those flumes were bloody brilliant though. I used to like the big orange water slide as well.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
If anyone's been to the Water Cube in Beijing they'll testify how amazing indoor type waterparks can be. Something similar to that would be a jewel in Brightons crown.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Love a water slide. Used to go on the black hole through the summer Saturdays before the footy took over again. Strangely I am in the process of trying to get Mrs GB to book our next years summer hols at a water park somewhere Spanish speaking "for the kids". Well someone has to think of them.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I took my girlfriend there when it had just opened. We had a go on the blue flume and at the bottom her bikini top came flying off... Great entertainment for everyone! 28 years ago but still remember that one.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
There was an urban myth that there were razor blades placed in at least one of them. Scary stuff for a youngster!

That was the first job of the day for my mate who was a lifeguard there, check no razor blades were planted in them.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Love a water slide. Used to go on the black hole through the summer Saturdays before the footy took over again. Strangely I am in the process of trying to get Mrs GB to book our next years summer hols at a water park somewhere Spanish speaking "for the kids". Well someone has to think of them.

Teneriffe has a massive one.

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
How long ago did they get rid?

This thread is giving me great memories, King Alfred, mega zone etc

Anyone remember Laser Warriors, think it was in Western road

Dumseagull

Jun 13, 2012
Lancing
What's actually happened to the mega zone bit now? The doorway looks bricked up? I keep getting the urge to find the old doorway behind the bricks and discover it all still down there abandoned! [emoji56]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here