[Albion] The first crack in Graham Potter's calm demeanour?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Obviously I dont know their exact dynamic but I would assume they have some kind of ongoing, organic communication where they have a mutual understanding of eachothers wishes and desires with no need for bringing the battering ram to the door or getting the point across through using Locadia as some kind of "I told you so" vehicle.

I would suggest that a calm organic communication regarding attacking options that has yielded Maupay, Tau and Connolly, seen Locadia added back into the Premier League squad and the promising Zeqiri taken out of it may not be working. Perhaps it's time to escalate.

Those golden chances aren't going to finish themselves.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Could it possibly have been that GP was also feeling as frustrated as everyone else after the way he set up the team, the way they played and the failure to secure 3 points.

If you were Manager and his position, would you criticise a team he is trying (and largely succeeding) to get the best out of, or his striking options which are, to say the least, lacking confidence, or a few of the crowd who booed whilst we are playing the best football we ever have :shrug:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I would suggest that a calm organic communication regarding attacking options that has yielded Maupay, Tau and Connolly, seen Locadia added back into the Premier League squad and the promising Zeqiri taken out of it may not be working. Perhaps it's time to escalate.

Those golden chances aren't going to finish themselves.

No, "escalating" the communication wont bring better strikers. The striker quality realistically has little relation to whether they communicate calmly or kick and scream.

As I said, they are grown, mature people and wont "solve" things the way you'd do it.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I tried to applaud the team, but they walked off down the tunnel apart from Dunk and Moder. I am pissed off at Potter's history lesson comment, it's as patronising as being told to put your dummy back in, pick up your toys and grow up. ****.

Well that says more about you I'm afraid, if a comment from Potter really pisses you off that much then maybe you need to give your head a wobble.

Potters comments didn't even register for me, and im guessing the majority of this board. He was completely correct in what he said. We are 8th, with a bottom 5 budget and can't score at the moment.

Would you be so anti potter if we had won 2/3 more games and sitting 4/5/6th?

Potter called out the boo boys, the boy boys don't like it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No, "escalating" the communication wont bring better strikers. The striker quality realistically has little relation to whether they communicate calmly or kick and scream.

As I said, they are grown, mature people and wont "solve" things the way you'd do it.

How I'd do it is how I already told you I would and do in the team I run. That I would work with my boss to determine the need, secure the budget and help find the team changes.

When I said that to you your reply was that it wasn't his job and there were literally 100 other people who did that.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Could it possibly have been that GP was also feeling as frustrated as everyone else after the way he set up the team, the way they played and the failure to secure 3 points.

If you were Manager and his position, would you criticise a team he is trying (and largely succeeding) to get the best out of, or his striking options which are, to say the least, lacking confidence, or a few of the crowd who booed whilst we are playing the best football we ever have :shrug:

I agree. I believe GP has a pretty close relationship with many of the squad, helping them through difficult periods and helping them to improve (possibly closer relationships than many/most Premier league managers have with their squad). Consequently, he was truly hurt by the booing, like it was an attack on his family. To me, his reaction showed that, and it showed passion for his squad and the ongoing development task.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
How I'd do it is how I already told you I would and do in the team I run. That I would work with my boss to determine the need, secure the budget and help find the team changes.

When I said that to you your reply was that it wasn't his job and there were literally 100 other people who did that.

Yes. I imagine there's differences between the nature of your jobs however. How often are the changes you need so limited in quantity that there is only maybe 10-20 available things in the world with 50 other teams competing for the thing you need?

It isnt his job but it helps everyone if he participates in the process anyway. That doesnt make it his responsibility. If the club wants a striker, it is the job for 100 people to sort it out, TBs job to finance it and GPs role is quite small according to how DA described the process. GPs job is to coach the team. Not to demand this or that or find the recruitments or negotiate. As DA describes it, he asks if GP wants something, GP says "yes I'd like this" and they try to get it for him.

Maybe at your job your chances of getting what you want increases if you scream it rather than say it but I dont think that is how it is done at Brighton & Hove Albion. That wunder-striker is simply not becoming more or less existent and available depending on the tone used between GP/TB/DA.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Not knowing, like you, the intricacies of the communication levels, one would surmise Potter meets with his staff and reports to Ashworth on a frequent basis. He in turn will report to Barber and represent the footballing side of the business to full Directors.

Some things though will not be needed to be said, getting someone who scores goals being one of them.

I'm sure that Bloom's and Barber's doors are always open for a chat plus he could always email!

Having access to the boardroom is common these days. I, for instance attend meetings with the board of my company, a company considerably larger than Brighton. I'm just a middle manager but a number of us were invited. We listen and are listened too, we are privy to information that may be considered sensitive to the markets etc. Never have I had the pressure not to say what my thoughts are, I'm sure Potter has a very similar relationship.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
That's how I read it tbh, of course people wouldn't be negative about Potter if we were winning. That goes without saying.
I can't see how people can be negative now. We are 8th and not scoring.

If we were in 17th then I may be a bit concerned. I don't expect success over night, I understand there is a process in place to get to where we want and we have to do it differently to the majority of the league.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not knowing, like you, the intricacies of the communication levels, one would surmise Potter meets with his staff and reports to Ashworth on a frequent basis. He in turn will report to Barber and represent the footballing side of the business to full Directors.

Some things though will not be needed to be said, getting someone who scores goals being one of them.

I'm sure that Bloom's and Barber's doors are always open for a chat plus he could always email!

Having access to the boardroom is common these days. I, for instance attend meetings with the board of my company, a company considerably larger than Brighton. I'm just a middle manager but a number of us were invited. We listen and are listened too, we are privy to information that may be considered sensitive to the markets etc. Never have I had the pressure not to say what my thoughts are, I'm sure Potter has a very similar relationship.

Well exactly, which is why it makes **** all difference if GP "comes knocking TBs door". There isnt a single soul (apart from maybe the current strikers) in the club who wouldnt like a new, competent striker. The problem is not about GP not "knocking the door", it is about the extreme difficulty in getting a striker who is at the right level.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Some folk will always blame the manager as a default. They’ll always find a way to fit reality into their mantra. So if our players are not scoring it’s the manager’s fault because:

a) He is not making the players practice shooting enough.

And/or

b) He has not persuaded the chairman/CEO/recruitment team that he needs a better quality of finisher in the squad because they clearly need his expertise and pressure to recognise this deficiency, it’s not like they’ve hired a whole team led by Dan Ashworth to sort this out?

All this in our best season in our history (so far).

And some people are upset that he has taken a pop at the entitled ‘customers’ booing his team. Unbelievable.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Some folk will always blame the manager as a default. They’ll always find a way to fit reality into their mantra. So if our players are not scoring it’s the manager’s fault because:

a) He is not making the players practice shooting enough.

And/or

b) He has not persuaded the chairman/CEO/recruitment team that he needs a better quality of finisher in the squad because they clearly need his expertise and pressure to recognise this deficiency, it’s not like they’ve hired a whole team led by Dan Ashworth to sort this out?

All this in our best season in our history (so far).

And some people are upset that he has taken a pop at the entitled ‘customers’ booing his team. Unbelievable.
Totally agree.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

If we were in 17th then I may be a bit concerned. I don't expect success over night, I understand there is a process in place to get to where we want and we have to do it differently to the majority of the league.

We're a False Number 8. The chasing pack will swallow us up over the Xmas period. We'll be about 13th or 14th in the division going into the New Year. This is what happens when you can't score goals for toffee and won't spend money to rectify the issue

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

But you don’t really need that much budget in a Sussex Sunday U14s team. :thumbsup::wink:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Well exactly, which is why it makes **** all difference if GP "comes knocking TBs door". There isnt a single soul (apart from maybe the current strikers) in the club who wouldnt like a new, competent striker. The problem is not about GP not "knocking the door", it is about the extreme difficulty in getting a striker who is at the right level.

The difficulty in getting the right striker is correct. The oddity we have is that many teams suffer from having strikers that fail to create chances or turn half chances into a goal. We appear to have players not just our strikers but seasoned pro's like Lalana who miss gilt edged chances including tap ins, game after game.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Potter will rightfully be lauded whilst we're winning and face concern when we're not.

Some of our support thinks Potter is too good for our club and are happy for us to not do too well lest we lose him.

I don't get it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports