[Albion] The first Albion player you remember watching

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Mine was Roy Jennings in 1958, brute of a centre half. Not our most elegant player at that time, but he stands out for me.
There were many other great players in that team of the late 50's but I was a young kid and Roy hitting the crossbar with a penalty sticks in my memory.
Who were yours ?
Mine too. Shorts hitched up at the sides, broken nose, barrel chest, a powerful monster of a captain - our answer to Liverpool’s Yeats. Always remember he was the only Albion player to appear on a bubble gum card at that time.
1689092897401.jpeg

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
I don't remember the exact player but I remember the teams on the back of the program and it was players like Nelson, Codner, Chapman, Digweed, Larry May etc...

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Johnny Crumplin! Back in 1992, home game against Rotherham I think, might've been Wrexham. Sure he score the penalty for the 1-0 home win over Barnet in that December, my first win. Fell in love with the Albion that day.

Always use to be an old fella from Yorkshire that stood behind us in the North constantly shouting, 'give it t'Johnny!' 😁

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Garry Nelson first home game of the season 1987. 1-3 home defeat to Bournemouth.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
In my first game Alan Gilliver scored a hat trick so I guess he stood out , but there are lots of players of that era that I remember fondly…. Kit Napier and John Napier and Brian Powney John “Shirley’ Templeman etc etc

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Howard Wilkinson, Brian Tawse, Nobby Lawton, Kit Napier

But Dave Turner was my first player that I remembered after my first game.
In my early days Dave Turner was my favourite player.

but in my first ever match vs QPR in 1967 or 68 John Templeman made his debut and marked a certain famous Rodney Marsh out of the match.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Mine was Roy Jennings in 1958, brute of a centre half. Not our most elegant player at that time, but he stands out for me.
There were many other great players in that team of the late 50's but I was a young kid and Roy hitting the crossbar with a penalty sticks in my memory.
Who were yours ?
Bobby Smith, Jack Cassidy, Steve Burtenshaw and Norman Gall.

getz

Jan 15, 2010
I remember the immaculately groomed goalkeeper Eric Gill in his green polo neck jumper. Later to become a hotelier. Jimmy Langley with his bandy legs and hitched up shorts. Not a good look. I think he became an English B international. Des Tennant the rotund full back. Roy Jennings an old school stopper centre half with a beauty queen wife. Memories, memories!

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Perry Digweed.

He was playing in trackie bottoms and the referee made him put his shorts on over the top of them mid-match.

It was home against Bristol Rovers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports