The FFP smokescreen

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Regular companies normally have PPI plans which will pay a proportion of an employee's wages if they are unable to work due to injury or sickness. However, given the very high risk I would imagine that footballers would either be an excluded profession or that the premiums would be so expensive as to make a group policy for the players and staff a non starter.

So the club are in all likelihood still paying the wages then?

Cheers for clearing that one up. That was one of the arguments over an on-loan striker, with the inference that CMS and Hoskins wage bill was freed up. This would appear not to be the case.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Didn't their best play come early in the season before he arrived and only just managed to hang on to the play off's in the end?

Yes

Dobbie scored 3 for Palace last season, did that make all the difference?

No. Also HE COULDN'T PLAY AGAINST US IN THE SEMI.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
So the club are in all likelihood still paying the wages then?

Cheers for clearing that one up. That was one of the arguments over an on-loan striker, with the inference that CMS and Hoskins wage bill was freed up. This would appear not to be the case.

I always assumed we would still be paying the full wages. That's why we cant bring in a loanee that has too many demands.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I always assumed we would still be paying the full wages. That's why we cant bring in a loanee that has too many demands.

I agree entirely and that's what I thought too, but I asked the question as some had been using this flawed arguement as a stick to beat the club with.

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
Where do i start with a moronic post like this?

Who said "We must be promoted this season or else" and all the other guff you spouted after that? No one sensible expects that. What people will expect is to be competitive in this league and if that means spending some money on the team then so be it. Brighton don't have a history of a big loyal fan base and if you think these fans will stick about then you are simply deluded.

First season at the Amex

1 million - Buckley
2.5 million CMS
500k Hoskins
Lua lua ?
250k Harley

These are off the top of my head.

2nd season season

Ulloa 2 miillion
Dobbie 300k
Crofts 300k

3rd season

Chicksen undisclosed.

Despite record gates and new sponsor deal. Record season ticket sales we have seen very little investment. People have every right to question the club ambitions. OKay knobend?

you were the one suggesting fans will leave if there's no progression. we have progressed very well year on year since bloom took over.progression can only go so far and so quickly depending on lots of circumstances. i.e. we can't allow for what other clubs are doing (they may be better placed to get in the best players). or as i tried to suggest in my first reply - none of us have a clue what our financial situation is. i expect a lot of money is being spent on players that are out at the moment.
i apologise for what i called you earlier, i just get irritated by fans presuming they know that we are in a position to just snap up players whenever we feel like it.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I am sorry to intervene in this argument about high finance
but any club who cannot get Seagulls player to work properly really do not stand a chance of getting anything else right

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So what percentage of our revenue do you think should be spent on player wages then?

What proportion of revenue do you think normal profitable business's spend on wages?

I don't know that I'm all that interested. Just highlighting there are 23 matches, yet you seemed to only use one of them to pay for players.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
First season at the Amex

1 million - Buckley
2.5 million CMS
500k Hoskins
Lua lua ?
250k Harley

These are off the top of my head.

2nd season season

Ulloa 2 miillion
Dobbie 300k
Crofts 300k

3rd season

Chicksen undisclosed.

Plus signing on fees for free agents. Plus loan fees. Plus increased wages for returning players/renegotiated contracts.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
People do realise 26,000 fans require more outlay than 5,000 fans. :dunce:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
We are paying the price for veing too loose with the pursestrings over the last few seasons. But Barber isn't saying so because he has more integrity.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
IMO, an awful lot of the blame should be laid at the door of Ken Brown, Barber's predecessor.
It seemed to me that he acted like a kid in a sweetshop and threw other people's money around like there was no tomorrow.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
IMO, an awful lot of the blame should be laid at the door of Ken Brown, Barber's predecessor.
It seemed to me that he acted like a kid in a sweetshop and threw other people's money around like there was no tomorrow.

Total understatement I am afraid, why do you think the club had to make so many offers to get rid of replica shirts and the end of season tat sales?

BOGOF and free if you signed up to the lottery as totally over ordered

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
That about sums it up for me. If there is another price hike next season, god knows what the impact on our season ticket sales will be like if our season is over by March and the lack of investment on the pitch is evident.

£15 million on a new training ground is evidence of investment though.

That will in turn produce better players.

If you want instant gratification then you are not going to get it following the Albion under Tony Bloom, rightly or wrongly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports