Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The FFP smokescreen

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Im not at all angry that we have more fans and I love the AMEX and TB as he made the dream come true. However Im angry with Barber talking out of his arse when fans are forking out ridiculous sums of money to go to games and Barber sits in his Executive Box. I want to know where all the income is going and imo that is a fair question which deserves answering.
So basically:-

Bloom - yay
Barber - boo

Do you not think they are in some way interlinked?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Appears as this moment in time to be at a standstill, because we have not bought in a loan striker YET.

As we have not got one, some people are making some very wild assumptions eg there is no more money. Whereas, the club are quoted in the Argus in the last week as looking at signing 2 loan strikers. So is the club blustering or sincere?? Could there be anything in these assumptions? We will be a little nearer to finding out by the end of the loan window I suppose.

This seems to be the recurring theme, as each window passes us by we have a few who get worried as we haven't signed anyone, they then get called a bed wetter and to be patient as the window is not shut yet, when it does close and we haven't acquired any quality the initial 'bed wetters' re-appear only to get FFP rammed down their throat by the self righteous amongst us.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
Im not at all angry that we have more fans and I love the AMEX and TB as he made the dream come true. However Im angry with Barber talking out of his arse when fans are forking out ridiculous sums of money to go to games and Barber sits in his Executive Box. I want to know where all the income is going and imo that is a fair question which deserves answering.

The last set of accounts are available and public and show why we made our loss, it's not a secret. We are operating within the new rules, the fact that others are not or do not have to due to premiership relegation rules should not mean we should cheat.

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
I hate replies like this. It's not the first time i hear FFP being spoken about as an excuse of not spending money. Fans will question the club over the lack of investment this season especially with our striking crisis.

We have many thousands of fans who won't stick around or renew season tickets if there's no sign of progress on the field. Can't blame them either with the price of our season tickets.

i love the way people like you know that we have loads of money spare to throw at buying players. thats presuming there are actually good enough players available.
these fans that are so fickle they will walk away are deluded. by what you are aying in your last sentence, it means we must be promoted this season, get int the top 4 next season, win the premier the following and so on.
sorry, but it's all a load of b******s. our owner has invested a fortune in our club giving us a great stadium (14 years without one) and a state of the art training facility on the way. he got a manager (poyet) who improved our team not only to get us to top 10 championship team but playing good football. we now have a manager who GIVEN TIME will keep things going in the right direction.
i hate it when i see clubs chuck loads of money at their club, only to leave them in the shit. Leeds being a good example!!
i firmly believe tony bloom and his board do everything in brightons best interest.
i hope they ignore all the knobends like you that arev naive just want to have a go.

i'm sure deep down you are a good supporter. rant over

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
When the full squad is available, we have the following players;
Brezovan, Bruno, Greer, Andrews, Dunk, El-Abd, Hoskins, Crofts, Barnes, Agustien, Orlandi, Mackail-Smith, Calderon, Chicksen, Ankergren, Ward, JFC, Ulloa, Upson, Dave, George, Conway, Dickensen, LuaLua, Bridcutt, March, Maksimenko, Kuszczak, Buckley and Ince.

30 (THIRTY) players. That is MORE than enough. In that squad we have 4 (FOUR) strikers. That is enough for a team who play with 1 (ONE) per match.

We currently have;
Hoskins, Agustien, Orlandi, Mackail-Smith, Ulloa and Bridcutt all out injured. All of them would be in our matchday 18. All of them. 4 of them would be in the starting line up. That IS the reality of the piece.

The reason we can not just go out and splash out on another quality striker is that we're already paying 30 players. They're not cheap. We have a few who don't actually contribute anything at all, but they're still being paid an unreasonable amount of money. Players like Hoskins and Conway are nothing but a drain on our resources, and there are one or two others you could mention as not being worth their place here. But they are here. And their wages are blocking us from signing a striker with the ability to score goals.

We all want another striker. But we do NOT have the money. It's not a joke, or cloak and dagger lies. It is the reality. If you do not understand why, you have no idea the costs of running a football club, or the stupid wages some of our players are clearly on. Players wages should be the first thing to fall during FFP, but do you think they will? Do you think the better players want to be paid less here than if they went somewhere else?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The whole playing budget/transfer saga is full of speculation and something that needs to be addressed by the club IMO. Highest gates in the league and all we manage is a couple of and lets be honest average loan signings is not a step forward. A competitive team brings in the punters you can have as many ticket booths/outlets around the town it wont matter if the team is not performing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This. Barber is Bloom's hatchet man. If TB really wanted to spend £4m on a striker Barber couldn't stop him, but he doesn't want to.
Barber isn't a hatchet man.

PB has his job description set out by TB, and is striving to do his job.
There's nothing hatchet about it.

The sooner people stop equating all the good decisions to TB and the bad ones to PB, the closer they will be to realising how a multi-million pound business is run.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Why is FFP even coming into this? It is in EVERYONE'S interest that this club is self financing, why do people find that difficult to grasp? Brighton fans should more than anyone realise the dangers of having a club over reliant on donations from a sugar daddy.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Or not at all :shrug: Like Algie said, we will have plenty of fans who will become disillusioned by the quality of football/players compared to the financial outlay. People will find a way to make the £££'s stretch if they are getting value for money, but if the're getting served crap at a premium rate it will become an easier choice for some.

Yes, I do see that. But we do not know at the moment what the club are going to do in this loan window. We will only know a little bit more at the end of it - ie have we got any more money to spend or not? So if we do not get a striker in on loan, questions should be asked and quite rightly.

I am concerned that a lot of our income does not appear to be going to the playing side, but then we are comparing ourselves with clubs who spend money like water, so it i difficult to know whether our concerns are justified or not. But for some on here, it seems that playing by the rules is not something that we should be doing, which I find a little odd (although I do see where they are coming from).

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
But surely that's the problem - people want more than what their money will actually pay for.

Or maybe they want what they feel they have paid for.
Imagine this, you're flying with Virgin and it cost £750. You got a nice seat, good service, free food and drink. Happy customer
Next month you fly with Virgin again at the cost of £850 (same destination). You get a nice seat, no complimentary food and the service is poor. You're entitled to question why you're paying more for what appears to be product of lesser quality.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
When the full squad is available, we have the following players;
Brezovan, Bruno, Greer, Andrews, Dunk, El-Abd, Hoskins, Crofts, Barnes, Agustien, Orlandi, Mackail-Smith, Calderon, Chicksen, Ankergren, Ward, JFC, Ulloa, Upson, Dave, George, Conway, Dickensen, LuaLua, Bridcutt, March, Maksimenko, Kuszczak, Buckley and Ince.

30 (THIRTY) players. That is MORE than enough. In that squad we have 4 (FOUR) strikers. That is enough for a team who play with 1 (ONE) per match.

We currently have;
Hoskins, Agustien, Orlandi, Mackail-Smith, Ulloa and Bridcutt all out injured. All of them would be in our matchday 18. All of them. 4 of them would be in the starting line up. That IS the reality of the piece.

The reason we can not just go out and splash out on another quality striker is that we're already paying 30 players. They're not cheap. We have a few who don't actually contribute anything at all, but they're still being paid an unreasonable amount of money. Players like Hoskins and Conway are nothing but a drain on our resources, and there are one or two others you could mention as not being worth their place here. But they are here. And their wages are blocking us from signing a striker with the ability to score goals.

We all want another striker. But we do NOT have the money. It's not a joke, or cloak and dagger lies. It is the reality. If you do not understand why, you have no idea the costs of running a football club, or the stupid wages some of our players are clearly on. Players wages should be the first thing to fall during FFP, but do you think they will? Do you think the better players want to be paid less here than if they went somewhere else?
All good, but:-

Hoskins and CMS were properly injured at the start of the season.
Hoskins is only in that 4 out of charity.

All season we've all known it was Ulloa or nothing (as Barnes form has proved), and that's just not good enough.

Quite what the huge loss making board was supposed to do about that is anybodies guess.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Barber isn't a hatchet man.

PB has his job description set out by TB, and is striving to do his job.
There's nothing hatchet about it.

The sooner people stop equating all the good decisions to TB and the bad ones to PB, the closer they will be to realising how a multi-million pound business is run.

You've just echoed what I posted. Barber is doing exactly what is expected of him, he can't be faulted for that. It does however make him look like bad guy. Thanks for re-hashing my post though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Or maybe they want what they feel they have paid for.
Imagine this, you're flying with Virgin and it cost £750. You got a nice seat, good service, free food and drink. Happy customer
Next month you fly with Virgin again at the cost of £850 (same destination). You get a nice seat, no complimentary food and the service is poor. You're entitled to question why you're paying more for what appears to be product of lesser quality.

You just fly with BA (I ain't getting on no plane you crazy fool)

If you don't like it, walk.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Yes, I do see that. But we do not know at the moment what the club are going to do in this loan window. We will only know a little bit more at the end of it - ie have we got any more money to spend or not? So if we do not get a striker in on loan, questions should be asked and quite rightly.

I am concerned that a lot of our income does not appear to be going to the playing side, but then we are comparing ourselves with clubs who spend money like water, so it i difficult to know whether our concerns are justified or not. But for some on here, it seems that playing by the rules is not something that we should be doing, which I find a little odd (although I do see where they are coming from).

:thumbsup: We're on the same page.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
This seems to be the recurring theme, as each window passes us by we have a few who get worried as we haven't signed anyone, they then get called a bed wetter and to be patient as the window is not shut yet, when it does close and we haven't acquired any quality the initial 'bed wetters' re-appear only to get FFP rammed down their throat by the self righteous amongst us.

:).

It may be that we do not sign anyone as we have no money, but equally it may be that we did not find anyone who we thought was worth spending our money on. We can ask the club which it is at the end of the window if we have not signed anyone, but many would not believe the answer anyway.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
All good, but:-

Hoskins and CMS were properly injured at the start of the season.
Hoskins is only in that 4 out of charity.

All season we've all known it was Ulloa or nothing (as Barnes form has proved), and that's just not good enough.

Quite what the huge loss making board was supposed to do about that is anybodies guess.

You're ignoring the point, they were injured at the start but it doesn't change the fact they're being paid. Hoskins' contact was an honourable decision, but at odds with not wasting money for no reason as per FFP. Hoskins is doing nothing but draining our resources with no chance of a return. It's money literally thrown down the drain from a budget perspective, but morally it was the right thing to do.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You've just echoed what I posted. Barber is doing exactly what is expected of him, he can't be faulted for that. It does however make him look like bad guy. Thanks for re-hashing my post though.
I had an issue with the connotation of 'hatchet man'.

He's not a hatchet man he's just doing his job, laid down by TB.
The moment he doesn't I'm sure he'll be shown the door.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here