Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The EU wants Britain to leave "as soon as possible"

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We might get a better deal if they want it all done quickly. Let them stew a bit.
I want a team ready to negotiate asap, and go and start negotiating before instigating Article 50. Free market (inc services), free movement of people, we pay a fair fee to the EU, done.

The EU have to be told that in no uncertain terms that the people voted against them. If they want other countries to remain in, they have to reform.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I want a team ready to negotiate asap, and go and start negotiating before instigating Article 50. Free market (inc services), free movement of people, we pay a fair fee to the EU, done.

The EU have to be told that in no uncertain terms that the people voted against them. If they want other countries to remain in, they have to reform.

I think we must be careful about the free movement of people. We should be encouraging people to come who are financially independent or who fill gaps in the local workforce, and vice versa. I don't think we need armies of Roma car washers here.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think we must be careful about the free movement of people. We should be encouraging people to come who are financially independent or who fill gaps in the local workforce, and vice versa. I don't think we need armies of Roma car washers here.
Our referendum obviously only gave us IN or OUT - some will have wanted to stop the free movement of people (Nige), others will want to carry on in a similar way to before (me). Given that it was a close referendum, I am confident that most people want to keep the free movement of people. We can have things roughly the same as before, but we have the final say on everything.

We can have the free market, have the free movement of people, and do trade deals with the commonwealth and China etc.

Should we feel the need to change the rules on immigration from the EU in the future, we can - we won't need anyone's permission, it will be under our governments control. Maybe we'll have built up more trade with non EU countries, maybe we'll be in a different position then.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
We will end the ‘free movement’ of people from the EU and take back control. We will introduce a points-based system under which migrants will be admitted to the UK on the basis of their skills, not their passport.

Statement made by Michael Gove and Boris Johnson during the campaign.

Going back on that would be political and electoral suicide which is why it won't happen. Free movement will not continue.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I can't see us having an easy time exiting otherwise others might follow and the house of cards will collapse just like the iron curtain and other empires back in history

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
We will end the ‘free movement’ of people from the EU and take back control. We will introduce a points-based system under which migrants will be admitted to the UK on the basis of their skills, not their passport.

Statement made by Michael Gove and Boris Johnson during the campaign.

Going back on that would be political and electoral suicide which is why it won't happen. Free movement will not continue.

I am happy with their proposal. Maybe the phrase "free movement of people" has several elements e.g., visa-free travel, the right to live and work, the right to claim benefits? If that is so, then there are different definitions of "free movement of people".

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Believe me, when the Scots 'go' again, they will go. That's what democracy is! They are entitled that choice because this (our) government has changed the goal posts. The people of Scotland have voted (by some distance) to stay in Europe, but in your distorted image of democracy they need just 'lump it' because England says no!
Two things .... thousands of Scots who previously voted to 'stay' in the UK want to stay in Europe, should they just shut up, How would you feel if the roles were switched?
And finally, as an aged old Phart I feel ashamed that 67% of pensioners with much less time to live, leave youngsters with a lifetime of any consequences of their selfish decisions. :shrug:

Get a grip. The Scots are not going anywhere soon it can take up to 2 yrs and its so complex maybe longer and England have a say in the matter too, and if in the mean time the pound recovers and it will and the panic is over and back to the norm would the Scots risk all this again. Blaming the pensioners for our exit oh dear.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Get a grip. The Scots are not going anywhere soon it can take up to 2 yrs and its so complex maybe longer and England have a say in the matter too, and if in the mean time the pound recovers and it will and the panic is over and back to the norm would the Scots risk all this again. Blaming the pensioners for our exit oh dear.

"Blaming the pensioners for our exit oh dear".[/QUOTE]

Those damn pensioners no nothing eh. :wink:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Watching the Stock Exchanges, our decision has had a fierce knock-on effect World over. And if any of you 'Leave' guys think we can just brush this off, you are beyond naive. We will be punished.
And right on cue, I see Madam Sturgeon has already made it clear we can expect a new 'Scotland Out' referendum poste haste.
I posted this scenario only last week, and it was met with derision by several 'Outers' ... Parte Dieux of my views were that Scotland will then apply for membership to the European Market.......more to follow.
Enjoy your moment. :shrug:

What's Parte Dieux-some disgusting French frottage habit?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I agree - the Scots will definately go this time :

1) There is still a feeling they didn't fully get what they were promised last time.

2) There will be no Gordon Brown figure to pile in at the last minute and rescue it.

If they go and come back with a begging bowl they can FRO!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Parliament might have well have a say in this. In fact, it will.

Invoking Article 50 requires an Act of Parliament which only the Prime Minister can call. Cameron has already said he isn't going to do that. The new Tory leader (and therefore Prime Minister) might well try to do invoke it, but to do so before knowing what kind of deal is on the table post-EU is a bit shambolic. Also to do it straight away leads to another problem for the new Prime Minister.

Because it has to go through Parliament, if MPs got a vote on whether to invoke Article 50, there's every possibility it would be defeated. The numbers, as they say, aren't there - half of Tories, nearly all of Labour, all of SNP would vote against. (They could abstain if they don't want to be seen to be going against the wishes of the 'people' - but then the 'people' aren't paid to be the lawmakers.)

Then it would need to go through the House of Lords - again no guarantees. It could be sent through Parliament via a 'Henry VIII' rule, but that's very undemocratic, and totally counter to what Brexit campaigners have been campaigning for - proper British use of a sovereign Parliament.

I'm praying that this scenario will happen, it is far too important to our country's future prosperity for the politicians to sit on their hands.
It won't be popular, but it would be for the best

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I see.... Laura Keunsberg on BBC said it was binding.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
That's not the case.

The only referendum to have been legally binding was the one for changing the voting system from 'first past the post' to 'PR' or 'ATV'. It was rejected so it never became an issue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here