Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Energy crisis

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Waiting for someone to mention the 70's and power cuts but, like the trains, we have come a long way since then, you cannot compare then with now.

one of ways we've moved on since then it moving management and investment in infrastructure off the government. this isnt a problem that can be solved by government control. it could do with better, longer term coordination, but this isnt something that comes as standard from ministers.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
valuable point raised is the reduced storage capacity, which will be lost in the noise.

It won’t. People understand that. What people don’t understand is why some people decide to refuse to admit other factors are relevant too. It is not one thing. It is a perfect storm of factors.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I was a customer of Iresa which went under a couple of years ago. Customers were passed on to Octopus. It seemed that that the moment they went under, all their records of customer balances went with them - they did not get passed on to Octopus. A team at Octopus then had the job of 'guessing' customers balances - they sent out a letter and you were invited to accept or reject their proposed starting balance. In my case I know my balance was much higher than their 'guess', but didnt know the exact number - so I rejected it and told them my approximate balance. They then sent a 2nd letter with my rough figure - and again I was asked to accept or reject. I accepted as it was approximately correct, but I got the distinct impression that if I'd have doubled the amount - they would have just accepted it as they didn't have any figures at all.

Maybe this time around they will have passed the correct balances on - but just in case, you may as well aim high - you may hit the jackpot!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Why did Theresa May refuse to let the Swansea tidal lagoon scheme go ahead? Renewables must be the way ahead.

I'd hazard a guess that she's taken money from fossil fuel lobby groups in the past.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
[tweet]1440315922233782277[/tweet] ezgif.com-gif-maker (10).jpg

Last edited:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
“The UK's sixth largest energy company, Bulb, is seeking a bailout, while four smaller firms are expected to go bust in the coming days.”

Oh dear.

I got a cracking duel fuel tariff back in May with People's Energy - I use the Cheap Energy Club and always go for fixed, 1 year sometimes 2, and switch regularly.

Last Friday I got an email from People's Energy to advise they have ceased trading :-o
Today I have an email from British Gas to advise I will soon be their customer - no news yet on what that tariff might be.
I'm also promised that my credit balance built up with Peoples' Energy will be retained.

Pleased I invested in solar panels 3 years ago now - every little helps ....

Anyone else had similar?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Boris's Brexit campaign included a pledge to remove "unfair" VAT on fuel bills that EU rules meant we couldn't reduce below 5%.

So now we are out of the EU the government will be hugely benefitting from the price hike by milking more VAT from British energy consumers.

That Referendum was won on a host of pledges that he didn't have the faintest intention of honouring. This goes to show that Referendums are dangerous because no one is held accountable for what they promise, so they can say any old bollocks.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Boris's Brexit campaign included a pledge to remove "unfair" VAT on fuel bills that EU rules meant we couldn't reduce below 5%.

So now we are out of the EU the government will be hugely benefitting from the price hike by milking more VAT from British energy consumers.

That Referendum was won on a host of pledges that he didn't have the faintest intention of honouring. This goes to show that Referendums are dangerous because no one is held accountable for what they promise, so they can say any old bollocks.

Hmm, not sure that they are held accountable for the bollocks in manifesto's at general elections either

SuperBrighton

Apr 18, 2012
Hove
Well that went well.

I was with Igloo Energy (who are about to go bust by all accounts), who kept landing exponential price rises on me.

A month ago I moved to Avro Energy, who a few minutes ago went into Administration.

Ahh that's seriously frustrating as I'm in the middle of switching to Avro Energy with the switch meant to go through on 1st Oct.

Does anyone have any advice on my next steps? I have no idea if my switch will be cancelled or if I will be shipped over to whoever will be taking over Avro's customers.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ahh that's seriously frustrating as I'm in the middle of switching to Avro Energy with the switch meant to go through on 1st Oct.

Does anyone have any advice on my next steps? I have no idea if my switch will be cancelled or if I will be shipped over to whoever will be taking over Avro's customers.

LBC’s business person said we’ll be automatically transferred to whoever’s taken on their customer list.

I can’t be arsed to shop around just yet. Martin Lewis today mentioned, again, that he simply can’t recommend any deals just now. Best not to make a hasty decision, his instinct is that this is the high water mark or nearing of it, of prices. Thereafter they’ll be a gradual move downwards.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
LBC’s business person said we’ll be automatically transferred to whoever’s taken on their customer list.

I can’t be arsed to shop around just yet. Martin Lewis today mentioned, again, that he simply can’t recommend any deals just now. Best not to make a hasty decision, his instinct is that this is the high water mark or nearing of it, of prices. Thereafter they’ll be a gradual move downwards.

I looked on USwitch yesterday and, unsurprisingly, there were no deals to be had anyway.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Well that went well.

I was with Igloo Energy (who are about to go bust by all accounts), who kept landing exponential price rises on me.

A month ago I moved to Avro Energy, who a few minutes ago went into Administration.

I am with Igloo.
This time last year I was paying 132.00 a month dual fuel.
This current month is £183.00 for the same.
Currently over £300 in credit.
I have been told to sit tight but whatever happens I will not lose the money.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I am with Igloo.

I kept getting Igloo’s huge price rises through June, then July, then August. Ages before the other suppliers did anything so drastic or the subject hit the media.

In the end I had enough, so I dumped them. Funnily enough their over zealous direct debit increases left me £300 in credit too, which I got paid into my bank last week.

SuperBrighton

Apr 18, 2012
Hove

Yes it seems the advice if you are with an energy supplier and they go bust is to sit tight and wait for your new supplier to get in touch and then you can decide to switch after that.

My worry is nowhere is there advice for what to do when the supplier you are in the middle of switching to goes bust. I have credit with the old supplier, and Avro have already taken a DD payment so I now have credit with them too. Technically I am allowed to cancel my switch to Avro, but you have to contact the new supplier to do that...!

Citizens Advice have said they will call me tomorrow, so hopefully they can confirm if I will be switched via Avro to whoever takes on their customers, or whether my switch will be cancelled as Avro can't process it as they are bust.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Well that went well.

I work for igloo and as yet we haven't gone bust. Clinging on for dear life, but not bust yet. Not going to lie, work is incredibly hard going at the moment. Looking to escape it with a win tonight lol

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I am with Igloo.

The advice is correct. Sit tight, I can promise your credit balance is safe. Its protected by OFGEM.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

I renewed with Avro recently on another 12 month fixed that will kick in on 7th Oct.

Have a big credit balance too, which I was hoping would handy against the new increased tariff.

Anyone know what'll happen next? Will my credit be safe and the new tariff with whoever takes it over?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here