Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Energy crisis

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Here is the very simple explainer from an article listing all sorts of reasons in the new statesman.

Is Brexit to blame?

Boris Johnson and Michael Gove promised lower fuel bills for households once Britain left the EU. Gas prices in Europe are also at record highs, but countries in the EU’s internal energy market trade efficiently with each other using linked auctions that balance prices across the bloc. The UK, having decoupled its auctions from Europe, could in theory get cheaper energy than anywhere else – if energy was really cheap. But it isn’t, so the UK is more exposed to high prices.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2021/09/gas-price-crisis-is-brexit-russia-or-covid-19-to-blame

As I have said all along. It is not just due to brexit. It is just another factor and it is daft to pretend otherwise.

I’m sorry but that article does not tell me which gas price is higher in the UK than Europe. It claims that countries within the EU ‘trade efficiently with each other’ but provides no figures, no evidence. Your claim needs a clear illustration of a price differential so that I can decide for myself.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I’m sorry but that article does not tell me which gas price is higher in the UK than Europe. It claims that countries within the EU ‘trade efficiently with each other’ but provides no figures, no evidence. Your claim needs a clear illustration of a price differential so that I can decide for myself.

Others have provided plenty of links in this chat to the wholsesale costs. Closed at a new record high here. Not ideal.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Our prices seem rather high
5e13ef557b350fb570ef983edc95c525.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Our prices seem rather high
5e13ef557b350fb570ef983edc95c525.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

We just had a fire at a plant in Kent where the electricity, imported from France was coming through before joining the national grid..... Thats now un-operational until next year and has removed a shed load of our planned electricity capacity.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Which posts give the relative wholesale costs ? Where is the data normalized to exclude other structural causation ? You have made the claim. Now back it up.

Oh for goodness sake. Stop avoiding my original question to you. You never once answered just provided a link that didn’t do what you said it did. People have provided links. If you click on those you will be able to work out the percentage increases. Then you can read all of the articles and decide whether brexit is a factor or not. If you are under the impression o think brexit is the main cause then you would be wrong and as I explained in an earlier post it is one of many. To argue that brexit is not a contributory factor to our difficulty is proper head in sand whataboutary.

Lots of factors in play. Do you think brexit has no impact? Yes or no? One word.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Oh for goodness sake. Stop avoiding my original question to you. You never once answered just provided a link that didn’t do what you said it did. People have provided links. If you click on those you will be able to work out the percentage increases. Then you can read all of the articles and decide whether brexit is a factor or not. If you are under the impression o think brexit is the main cause then you would be wrong and as I explained in an earlier post it is one of many. To argue that brexit is not a contributory factor to our difficulty is proper head in sand whataboutary.

Lots of factors in play. Do you think brexit has no impact? Yes or no? One word.

You don’t understand energy pricing. That’s why you think people have provided links when they haven’t. I can’t give you a one word answer because I haven’t seen your figures. Perhaps they don’t exist. As I say, I’m happy to have this debate when you can provide figures. Until then it’s just hot air.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Ah, this from the man that stated I was wrong to suggest that prices in the rest of Europe are probably cheaper than the UK.... And then said it was too complicated with too many variables to actually disprove.. Well well.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Ah, this from the man that stated I was wrong to suggest that prices in the rest of Europe are probably cheaper than the UK.... And then said it was too complicated with too many variables to actually disprove.. Well well.

Well, yes because you made it up, just like the other poster. I don’t need to disprove it. It’s your assertion so you can either show it is true or continue to make wild generalizations.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

why dont you show how the prices are higher rather than make a claim and run away from it? you can google it easy enough, you'll find prices across europe vary widely. UK is above average on domestic electricity and lower end on gas.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Some good news. There has been a welcome uptick in the number of LNG cargoes arriving in the UK ; from Algeria (ship just outside the Isle of Grain port), Russia (arriving 27th Sep) and the US (arriving 29th Sep). For some context Grain last received an LNG cargo on the 16th June. The UK has received only one cargo across its three terminals in July, one in August and one in September. Global competition for LNG has been fierce all year and China has usually been the best bid. It has made the task of replenishing very low stocks in Europe all the more difficult.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Stupid question, possibly, from an old bloke, has all the North Sea Gas run out? Or did Thatcher sell that off as well?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Stupid question, possibly, from an old bloke, has all the North Sea Gas run out? Or did Thatcher sell that off as well?

No, it hasn’t run out and it isn’t state owned. The issue going forwards is replacing depleted fields. That type of investment can only come from the private sector but needs Government approval and that is complicated by overall energy and environmental policy.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
No, it hasn’t run out and it isn’t state owned. The issue going forwards is replacing depleted fields. That type of investment can only come from the private sector but needs Government approval and that is complicated by overall energy and environmental policy.

Thanks, next question is it British owned?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Thanks, next question is it British owned?

I’m not sure what that means anymore. A mixture of private equity groups and oil companies, listed on various stock exchanges, so it depends upon the residency of the current shareholders I suppose. Business is international and mobile. The point though is that companies operate under license from the UK and Norway regardless of the source of their capital. I don’t think this is an energy security issue. It’s all about price, the very high proportion of UK consumers who use gas and the rapid switch from coal to renewables.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here