Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Energy crisis

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Not sure if it’s been mentioned before but I don’t think it’s right that electricity produced by green methods is priced the same as oil/gas/coal produced electricity.

We are with Octopus who are 100% green. Surely an incentive to move to green energy is to make it cheaper?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Not sure if it’s been mentioned before but I don’t think it’s right that electricity produced by green methods is priced the same as oil/gas/coal produced electricity.

We are with Octopus who are 100% green. Surely an incentive to move to green energy is to make it cheaper?

simple market arbitrage. at first the price of "green energy" might be lower, so there's more demand. as demand for that energy increases the price rises until it reaches the market price.

this does mean that the green energy producers should be making large profits if their cost base is lower and market prices stay high.

zamora the merrier

Mar 1, 2009

Unfortunately green energy is more expensive for now. The investment required to build offshore wind farms solar farms is immense and therefore those investment costs get bundled into the green energy prices. Longer term it will improve doesn’t help now

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
simple market arbitrage. at first the price of "green energy" might be lower, so there's more demand. as demand for that energy increases the price rises until it reaches the market price.

this does mean that the green energy producers should be making large profits if their cost base is lower and market prices stay high.

Fair enough but why should the price of renewable energy be fixed to the price of non-renewables?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I've had an email from EON today proposing to increase my direct debit to about £250/month for gas alone from April 1st.

One reason why I have not got a Smart Meter. On 31st March I'll be submitting some gas + electricity readings, and perhaps adding on a bit for some 'advanced' buying :)

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Interesting debate, credit to the guy for tapping into a difference audience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ9tXulaFGM

Just again highlights what is possible if we invested the money in the right people and technology to progress renewables.

The ridiculous part of this is the vision of a British led, self sustainable home energy market (that was proposed to Farage) plays into exactly the sort of picture of ‘taking back control’ him and Boris like to paint yet we will still keep chucking billions at the overseas fossil fuel industry

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
One reason why I have not got a Smart Meter. On 31st March I'll be submitting some gas + electricity readings, and perhaps adding on a bit for some 'advanced' buying :)

What difference does having a smart metre make? Won't you still have to fork out for whatever you used the next time you give them a reading?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
What difference does having a smart metre make? Won't you still have to fork out for whatever you used the next time you give them a reading?

I believe he is giving false readings that are high prior to the increase, so he is effectively 'stockpiling' energy (on a very small scale) at the cheaper price

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
That blokes knows his onions doesn't he, and I don't mean the ill informed demagogue. All Farage could come back with was "I just feel that we need to have a debate about this", not entirely sure if he was being ironic or not.

Impressive bloke. Bit of a fact check though: We don't spend £120b every year on nuclear legacy; it's actually a mere £3b. And most of this is from stuff built in the 1950s-1970s that was constructed with very little thought given at the time to future decommissioning.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Just again highlights what is possible if we invested the money in the right people and technology to progress renewables.

The ridiculous part of this is the vision of a British led, self sustainable home energy market (that was proposed to Farage) plays into exactly the sort of picture of ‘taking back control’ him and Boris like to paint yet we will still keep chucking billions at the overseas fossil fuel industry

We do need to "take back control" and remove ourselves from reliance on the world wide price of energy. As things stand the like of Shell (the worlds biggest privately own gas producer) has us by the short and curlies, we just have to pay the market price but in our own north sea nothing has change

Renewables these days get very little subsides, yet we are still giving them to fossil fuels. We need use the current situation to implement positive change

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here