Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Energy crisis

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Got my new energy hike from E-on Next today.
My gas and electric price going up an extra £1112.51 a year in April.:eek:

mines £1421.20

says you can fix at that!
i’d thought i’d tough it out, but with Putin and his dream of world domination heaven knows where the increases go to over the next couple of years

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Got my new energy hike from E-on Next today.
My gas and electric price going up an extra £1112.51 a year in April.:eek:

I'm with Eon and mine's only increasing by just under £700. Guess that makes me the winner?

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
We've been on a fixed rate with EDF for the last 3 years which runs out in June. At the moment we pay £120 per month for electricity, (were all electric), but looking at the current rates being advertised I reckon my bill will almost treble to over £300 when it ends.

The only thing that gives me a warm feeling at the moment is that when I switch on my heating or turn on the oven it must be costing EDF a fortune!

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
We've been on a fixed rate with EDF for the last 3 years which runs out in June. At the moment we pay £120 per month for electricity, (were all electric), but looking at the current rates being advertised I reckon my bill will almost treble to over £300 when it ends.

The only thing that gives me a warm feeling at the moment is that when I switch on my heating or turn on the oven it must be costing EDF a fortune!

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

why don’t you use lots and lots now, then you won’t need to use so much when it gets expensive

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I feel like we've got off lightly compared to some on here, Scottish Power upping ours by £325 in April but said they will up it again in October. Thieving *****.

Had an email from the bus company saying their prices are going up 12% as well. Everyone is trying to take the piss at the moment.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Household energy bills could top £3,000 a year in England, Wales and Scotland from October, in part due to the Ukraine crisis, a report has warned.

The bank Investec said the conflict, along with surging global demand, had made gas and electricity prices soar.

It expects the energy price cap, which limits what suppliers can charge, to hit £3,238 a year for the average home when it's next adjusted in October.

The cap is already due to rise by £693 to £1,971 in April.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Time to insulate like crazy, we could easily be looking at £3500 annual bills by the Autumn.

Thank god we banged up all those protesters

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Ouch. My fixed contract (i have electricity only) is ending mid April. Last year's cost was £440 on 2nd year of a 2 year fixed deal. Next 2 year fixed is projected at £1400 per annum, just over a grand increase :rolleyes:

I'm assuming it is still worth taking a 1 or 2 year fixed deal now to start mid April than wait and see on a variable? That's my thinking anyway.

I shall be doing all my washing and having a bath the couple of days before the change...

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I'm assuming it is still worth taking a 1 or 2 year fixed deal now to start mid April than wait and see on a variable? That's my thinking anyway.

As it stands today, the variable is the cheapest option. Many suppliers don't even offer a Fixed option. However: the expectation is that when the price cap gets reviewed and reset again from 1st October that there will be another massive increase (I was told 47% yesterday...). If you can get hold of a fixed price product with a long enough term, you'll pay more in the short term but be gambling on the variable increasing to a lot more later on and as a result paying less over the full term.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
As it stands today, the variable is the cheapest option. Many suppliers don't even offer a Fixed option. However: the expectation is that when the price cap gets reviewed and reset again from 1st October that there will be another massive increase (I was told 47% yesterday...). If you can get hold of a fixed price product with a long enough term, you'll pay more in the short term but be gambling on the variable increasing to a lot more later on and as a result paying less over the full term.

Today gas price equates to about 37p/kw elec (wholesale), that's about 5 times pre-crisis level. 30p retail today could soon be 50p

We'll need a windfall tax on the "struggling" producers it just can't go on. The perfect opportunity for a massive insulation drive, UK gov just hoping the problem goes away. It won't...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here