Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The end of the world as we know it?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
your savings / pensions are insured up to £35K as I understand it. Fine for me but people who have more saving than this should start getting it out now.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
because pension schemes own most of the shares in said companies, same with endowments.

Bugger. I guess this means if you wanted to cover the cost to those people who hold their pensions and mortgages in these schemes it would cost the tax payer rather a lot.

bullshit detector

Back in the garage
Nov 18, 2003
because pension schemes own most of the shares in said companies, same with endowments.

Much of our gas/electricity supply is now owned by foreign companies, and they are planning to buy more. Fcuk 'em.

FIDEL!
CHAVEZ!

FCUK CAPITALISM

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Much of our gas/electricity supply is now owned by foreign companies, and they are planning to buy more. Fcuk 'em.

but they are still owned by our pensions and our investment trusts.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
your savings / pensions are insured up to £35K as I understand it. Fine for me but people who have more saving than this should start getting it out now.

So if your pension is covered at £35,000. and you live till you're 80 you will get a total of about £50 per week. Great!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I am purely asking because I don't really understand this but how does not compensating the companies that own the now privatised state services mean that pension schemes and mortgages become worthless?

Most of the shares in public utilities are owned by pension and insurance companies, and so, indirectly, by anyone who has a pension or endowment mortgage. If you privatise the shareholders without compensation then this reduces the value of the pension assets, and thus the value of your pension.

It would also deter foreign investment in the UK, and in 2005 this amounted to $164billion. Less investment=less jobs.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
I Think Capitalism will go the same as Communism and a new ism will be created called realism, the world economies will need 8-10 years to recover and we are facing a recession on the scale of 'the great depression' The govt needs to forget about inflation targets and concentrate on stabilizing the economy. The Robber Barons in the utilities need to be squeezed until their pips squeak and instead of trying to get first time buyers to jump on a sinking ship people should be helped when they get into difficulties (i'm not talking about property developers and speculators) and finally i think Sarah Beeney should be tried for war crimes(Joke) On the positive side I think the massive shock could help people appreciate the important things in life, like family, health and community or maybe it will be the 'Mad Max' scenario

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here